S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I just want to keep my power!

Old 10-17-2001, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just want to keep my power!

Theres lots of mods out there for our cars that claim to improve hp, but after going through summer at Cali, I just want to keep my car's stock power on hot days. it is literally like night and day! Did some reading also and found an article in C&D that says the S2000 retards its ignition a lot when it gets hot. Searching more about this and found that Mugen offers thermostats and radiators to solve this problem of power loss. Any owners out there that have these mods? Does it help?
Old 10-17-2001, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are little things that can be done to help maintain coolant temp, but short of moving to a cooler clime there is little you can do with intake air temp (except keep it off the hot radiator with the likes of a xviper mat).
Old 10-17-2001, 12:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally posted by SenSpeed
Theres lots of mods out there for our cars that claim to improve hp, but after going through summer at Cali, I just want to keep my car's stock power on hot days. it is literally like night and day! Did some reading also and found an article in C&D that says the S2000 retards its ignition a lot when it gets hot. Searching more about this and found that Mugen offers thermostats and radiators to solve this problem of power loss. Any owners out there that have these mods? Does it help?
If you look into Mugen a bit more you will see........they offer a thermostat to try to keep the engine cooler but also offers a ECU that will definitly help in keeping the power you have.(as well as a kick in power as well)

If you can afford it stick with Mugen they offer only the Ferrari's of upgrades.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

True, the Mugen ECU eliminates the Honda safeguards including the timing retard (as well supplying revised fuel maps, etc.) but it is not really designed for street use. Depending upon use it may increase the risk of detonation and engine damage.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:38 PM
Sev

You can slap on a mat (Xviper) to try and help cool the intake air which will help. You can also buy my new intake extension or mingsters CAI extension...

Go here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=31791
Old 10-17-2001, 04:02 PM

The biggest problem is heat, anything you can do to reduce or contain it from going circulation in the engine bay is good news. If you see how Japanese tune their S2000s, it's quite a significant point. Thermostat, bigger radiator, upgraded hoses, general insulation are all positive pointers.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:51 PM

are there any negative affects by replacing the thermostat? eg exhaust = loss of low end.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by SenSpeed
are there any negative affects by replacing the thermostat? eg exhaust = loss of low end.
not that i'm aware of.

Spoon has a line of temperature control parts that we carry which work in concert to keep the temperature down.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:49 PM

I can tell you if you change to a mugen ECU detonation will definately occur. My friend purcahsed one ans used it for about a week until he got tired of hearing the constant clatter coming out of the engine. We took it out and it has been fine ever since. I think the ECU would be good for track use with some higher octane gas.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:35 PM

The Spoon Thermostat and thermoswitch combination definitely keeps the car running cooler (2 bar vs. 3 bar most of the time).

No experience with Mugen so couldn't comment.

Quick Reply: I just want to keep my power!