S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I installed the wrong size of Speed Bleeders

Old 02-07-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I installed the wrong size of Speed Bleeders

I bought Russell Speed Bleeders which were advertised as 10mm and supposed to fit my AP1 S2000. Turns out they were 12mm. I order them from Amazon - link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Russell-639610.../dp/B0014B5TT6

I discovered that they were wrong size after I removed my stock bleeder valves, which were so stripped that I could not re-use them. So, without anything else to sue and no available transportation to auto parts store, I decided to just install the 12mm. They actually fit pretty well, though some very slight metal shavings came off the caliper as I tightened them.

As long as they don't leak and let air in, this should be fine right? Or should I re-install a 10mm?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

You are betting your life and possibly the life of another on having the wrong part installed in the most critical system in your car.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

OK, guys, tell me about "speed bleeders." Just valved bleed nipples?

-- Chuck
Old 02-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by lappj
I bought Russell Speed Bleeders which were advertised as 10mm and supposed to fit my AP1 S2000. Turns out they were 12mm. I order them from Amazon - link below.

I discovered that they were wrong size after I removed my stock bleeder valves, which were so stripped that I could not re-use them. So, without anything else to sue and no available transportation to auto parts store, I decided to just install the 12mm. They actually fit pretty well, though some very slight metal shavings came off the caliper as I tightened them.

As long as they don't leak and let air in, this should be fine right? Or should I re-install a 10mm?
Are you sure the ones you bought were 12mm thread diameter? Maybe, they are 10mm, but different pitch (1 versus 1.25). Kinda hard to believe that you were able to ream out the OEM hole with the bleed screw (from 10mm to 12mm). Anyhow, I'd really be nervous about high-pressure leaks. Better keep an eye on the reservoir. Maybe best to machine-out the hole and tap proper thread size for oversized bleeder screw.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
OK, guys, tell me about "speed bleeders." Just valved bleed nipples?

-- Chuck

Pretty much ya. Allows a one-man bleed operation without having to open/close the bleeder with each pump. Simply crack the speedbleer open, and jump in the car and pump away. The ball valve will prevent air from reversing in when letting off the pedal.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Are you sure the ones you bought were 12mm thread diameter? Maybe, they are 10mm, but different pitch (1 versus 1.25). Kinda hard to believe that you were able to ream out the OEM hole with the bleed screw (from 10mm to 12mm). Anyhow, I'd really be nervous about high-pressure leaks. Better keep an eye on the reservoir. Maybe best to machine-out the hole and tap proper thread size for oversized bleeder screw.
I think you may be right since they went into the OEM hole pretty easily. The head diameter is 12mm, whereas the speed bleeders I installed before were 10mm head diameter. It's weird because the part number on the valve is the same as advertised, which says 10mm. What does pitch measure?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Pitch is distance travelled by 1 thread revolution. Basically in a single start thread (like you have here or on a bolt) it is the distance from one thread to the next adjacent one.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lappj

I clicked that link and Amazon says those fit the front and rear calipers you are fine as long as they aren't leaking and your brake pedal feels normal.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:17 PM

The seller says it's 10mm, because it is. Metric bolts aren't called out by the head size, 10mm means the diameter of the threaded part is 10mm.

I'd be worried about the fact that your stock bleeders were stripped and that metal shavings came out when you installed the new ones. Sounds like you didn't take the time to check/clean the threads in the caliper so you might not have the best seal right now.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Rebuilt calipers from your local parts store or RockAuto shouldn't cost too much. I'm guessing your originals were very rusty including the bleed screw which is why you wrecked them removing them.

Quick Reply: I installed the wrong size of Speed Bleeders