S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

i hope its not the transmission

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i hope its not the transmission

today as i was coming off the freeway i went to merge into traffic and it was coming up fast so i accelerated to about 5500rpm and when i went to shift i missed 2nd abd redlined but just put it to neutral because the light was red. when i go to take off 1st gear is very hard to get into to( there is no grinding or nay noises that i could hear). when i go to shift to 2nd it hard to take it out of 1st but goes easily into 2nd. go to the honda dealer to see what they could tell me. they said it could be one of 3 things the clutch, master cylinder, or slave cylinder. he asked if the clutch was hard to press and i said no so he also said it could be the transmission. so im thinking of taking it in this saturday and paying the $120 to have them diagnose ( which will be put to the work done if i decide to have them do it). car just flip 49k miles. i flushed the transmission fluid at 40k. also when i flushed it it had done the same thing with 1st which i thought flushing the transmission would fix. i was racing on the freeway and after i came off to an exit it had the same problem going in and out of 1st. but after about a week it seems fine. also once in a blue moon especially when the car is cold you can feel and hear like some kinda of bang (not loud) when you put it into 1st. hoping it just the master or slave cylinder dont feel like spending my tax money on a new transmission kinda got my eyes set on some ccw
Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sorry about your situation BUT..... lolz how do you miss the 2nd gear???

Please DO NOT take your car to the stealership, they will drain your wallet faster than a tiolet!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silencer_F22
today as i was coming off the freeway i went to merge into traffic and it was coming up fast so i accelerated to about 5500rpm and when i went to shift i missed 2nd abd redlined but just put it to neutral because the light was red. when i go to take off 1st gear is very hard to get into to( there is no grinding or nay noises that i could hear). when i go to shift to 2nd it hard to take it out of 1st but goes easily into 2nd. go to the honda dealer to see what they could tell me. they said it could be one of 3 things the clutch, master cylinder, or slave cylinder. he asked if the clutch was hard to press and i said no so he also said it could be the transmission. so im thinking of taking it in this saturday and paying the $120 to have them diagnose ( which will be put to the work done if i decide to have them do it). car just flip 49k miles. i flushed the transmission fluid at 40k. also when i flushed it it had done the same thing with 1st which i thought flushing the transmission would fix. i was racing on the freeway and after i came off to an exit it had the same problem going in and out of 1st. but after about a week it seems fine. also once in a blue moon especially when the car is cold you can feel and hear like some kinda of bang (not loud) when you put it into 1st. hoping it just the master or slave cylinder dont feel like spending my tax money on a new transmission kinda got my eyes set on some ccw
It's completely normal for 1st and 2nd to clunk loudly when the car is cold. My car clunks so loudly sometimes that my passengers are like wtf. No problems whatsoever, just a loud clunk when the car is cold. This is due to the design of the transmission and the close gear ratios.

Also gears can be a littly notchy when cold. There are a couple of things you might want to try to improve before you give your car to the dealership. I've heard regreasing the shifter and adjusting the clutch pedal can help problems with changing gears (and they are cheap attempts).

***Also check that your clutch fluid is not really dirty. The reservoir needs to be cleaned ever so often (no clutch fluid flush necessary, just clean the reservoir and put new fluid in). This will actually fix master/slave cylinder leaks sometimes (if they say that is your problem). Mine was leaking and just replacing the top fluid stopped the leak. The dealership might try to con you into replacing the whole assembly so try to fix it yourself before handing it over to them. A bottle of brake fluid is like $3 lol

You should be ok b/c all you did was hit the rev. limiter (so it essentially did its job and protected your engine!!). I've hit the rev. limiter plenty of times when missing a gear, no sweat. Just don't downshift by accident, that's what will kill your engine. I think you might be getting a little paranoid about the situation, I don't think its related to your little accident...it might just be a coincidence. Regardless, best of luck.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
I'm sorry about your situation BUT..... lolz how do you miss the 2nd gear???

Please DO NOT take your car to the stealership, they will drain your wallet faster than a tiolet!
lol for some reason every time i wanna show off or something i miss
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by drewz
Originally Posted by Silencer_F22' timestamp='1326947405' post='21330755
It's completely normal for 1st and 2nd to clunk loudly when the car is cold. My car clunks so loudly sometimes that my passengers are like wtf. No problems whatsoever, just a loud clunk when the car is cold. This is due to the design of the transmission and the close gear ratios.

Also gears can be a littly notchy when cold. There are a couple of things you might want to try to improve before you give your car to the dealership. I've heard regreasing the shifter and adjusting the clutch pedal can help problems with changing gears (and they are cheap attempts).

***Also check that your clutch fluid is not really dirty. The reservoir needs to be cleaned ever so often (no clutch fluid flush necessary, just clean the reservoir and put new fluid in). This will actually fix master/slave cylinder leaks sometimes (if they say that is your problem). Mine was leaking and just replacing the top fluid stopped the leak. The dealership might try to con you into replacing the whole assembly so try to fix it yourself before handing it over to them. A bottle of brake fluid is like $3 lol

You should be ok b/c all you did was hit the rev. limiter (so it essentially did its job and protected your engine!!). I've hit the rev. limiter plenty of times when missing a gear, no sweat. Just don't downshift by accident, that's what will kill your engine. I think you might be getting a little paranoid about the situation, I don't think its related to your little accident...it might just be a coincidence. Regardless, best of luck.
ill check the fluid and see how dirty it is. when i missed i wasnt bouncing off the limter like crazy but i hit it but i dont normally worry and i never downshift unless i know for a fact i wont hit the limter. the only thing that freaked me out was when i had trouble going into 1st. but like i said it happen before and went away within a week. so if i grease the shifter and adjust the pedal i should be good right. also should i also bleed the clutch well im at it?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:11 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

No need to bleed, unless you ran it very low or empty. Just change whats in the master. Suck it out, clean it spotless with paper towels, then fill it back up.

Then find my posts on zero freeplay and adjust the rod under the dash.