S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I have a whistling noise when accelerating...

Old 07-02-2005, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a whistling noise when accelerating...

I have an '00 with 48,000 miles.

Whenever I try to accelerate through a gear, when the gas pedel is pushed in from 20%-40% I get this high pitched whistling noise. It starts off very high pitched when the pedal is pushed in around 20% and then around 30% it gets lower until it fades out around 40% pushed in. I only seem to notice this in 3rd-6th gear and happens when I'm coasting and then start accellerating. It happens all the time and isn't bad by any means, it's just strange. I don't get weird looks and have never had anyone even mention it to me but I'm just curious.

Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it could be normal, do you notice it most when next to a median or other surface where the sound can bounce back to you easier?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Yes it is louder when I'm next to a wall or something, but I can still hear it at all times.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been discussed in the forum many times, just do a search on "whistle" to find some. Below are two examples for you.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...8209&hl=whistle

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...7124&hl=whistle
Old 07-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks, I guess I just didn't enter the right key words in the search, as I did before I posted, as I do before making any new thread.

Those still didn't explain why it's happening. I have stock airbox with K&N filter, but it did this before I changed the air filter element. The car has never been modded before, as it was driven by a conservative retired man.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:08 PM

mine whistles like that b/c I think my amp isnt grounded right or maybe its my head unit....

do you have a stock radio?
Old 07-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Jul 2 2005, 01:11 PM
Those still didn't explain why it's happening.
This characteristic is so fundamental in nature, noone has ever thought that it needed explaining.
Anytime air flows through a pipe, there is a distinct possibility that it will make a noise. This is the principle behind musical wind instruments. It just so happens that the design of the stock intake (airbox, piping, throttle body, etc.) induces this sound. Some aftermarket intakes are even louder as they amplify the sound. It's just physics.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDre1443,Jul 2 2005, 02:08 PM
mine whistles like that b/c I think my amp isnt grounded right or maybe its my head unit....

do you have a stock radio?
The difference between air intake whistle and electronics "hum" is very distinctive for those who know what they're listening for. They are not the same in nature or in origin. Most obvious is that intake noise comes from the engine bay. Electronic hum eminates from your speakers and electrical components.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 2 2005, 02:25 PM
The difference between air intake whistle and electronics "hum" is very distinctive for those who know what they're listening for. They are not the same in nature or in origin. Most obvious is that intake noise comes from the engine bay. Electronic hum eminates from your speakers and electrical components.
well, you're going to have to excuse me for attempting to think....

He didn't state if he modified his car.

AEM intakes are the worst culprit of intake whistle, from my experience.

My car whistles and it's stock under the hood, it's only heard under light acceleration like justin claims.

I've had electrical interference before on vehicles and the sound eminating from my car sounds nothing like I've had before. It does not come from a speaker, or the head unit.

And by the way, how is someone supposed to hear the whistle from the engine bay when accelerating ? you can only "assume" that's where it's coming from since you can't put your ear next to the intake and drive at the same time.

You're a moderator, you shouldn't have to put people down when explaining things, especially to me, I've owned my car for 2 months and am learning and trying to be active on this board.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:23 PM

Dre I felt the same way about xviper's comments to people too so I know what you're saying. I felt he seemed a bit harsh at times, then I thought about my experiences on another forum. I'm a moderator at a cichlid forum (cichlids are a type of aquarium fish) and keep several fish tanks and have invested thousands of dollars in them and my African cichlids. I found that people started asking these questions over and over and over again on the forum and it got tiring. I noticed myself giving them very short, non-friendly answers because I was so busy answering them all. I wasn't trying to be rude, it's just the way I was coming off and I then tried to be a bit more friendly after that because after all... newbies are newbies no matter what forum type it is

I don't think he's trying to put anyone down really, just that he's coming off that way because this is such a busy board and he's very direct in his answers.

Quick Reply: I have a whistling noise when accelerating...