S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I have a really, really big problem

Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down I have a really, really big problem

I'm up in Atlanta right now, and I'm screwed. My car was running fine almost the entire trip, until I got to around Perry, GA. I drove thru a rainstorm, and after that, noticed that I could not accelerate at all. The car instantly would bog severely whenever I gave it any gas. I can maintain a cruising speed, and in idles fine, but if I try to give it any gas, it bogs almost to the point of stalling. I pulled each injector, then each coil pack, one at a time, and all of them are running fine (each one I pulled made the engine studder, so I know each is working). I finally got to my friends house in Canton, GA, and plugged in my laptop into the AEM EMS...I noticed at idle and "cruising" load cells, the AFR sits at where it's supposed to, but whenever I give it any throttle input more than just a slight increase, the AFR goes instantly to 18.xx, extremely lean. I also noticed that the engine refuses to go into the 100% load cells...the MAP sensor only lets it get into the 2nd row down cells...not the top cells.

The car starts right up and idles fine, but goes instantly to uber lean if I give it any gas. All the injectors and coil packs/plugs are operating normally. The primary O2 sensor is also working right, since it reads normal during idle and cruising. I unplugged the MAP sensor, and tapped it, and blew back thru the vacuum line that attaches to the MAP, that only go to each of the 4 runners, the FPR, the PCV, and the brake booster. I felt no vacuum leaks, and could not feel any water or anything inhibiting the airflow thru the vacuum block up to the MAP sensor. I really cannot figure out what the hell is wrong with it, but I need to figure it out pretty fast. I'm going to Memphis with my friend tomorrow in his car to the Liberty bowl, so I"ll be back sunday to get this ######ing car running so I can get home, but I'm stumped.

Can anybody help me at all?? The only thing I can think of to do is to richen out the cells in the 2000-4500 rpm range at 95% load to get the AFR's where they're supposed to be, but I'm hesitant to do that since this fuel and timing map has been absolutely spot on for the last 6 months......WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I'm so long winded, I've absolutely exhausted my technical knowledge on this problem, and I'm about to put a bullet thru the block and send the heap back down on a ######ing flatbed and fly home after the game
Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the ITBs?

Any chance that you sucked in water during the rainstorm?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compression test?
Pull the head, see if anything got sucked into there and has welded itself to a valve?
Pull injectors and test them?

Um, that is all I can think of atm. I'll talk to my room mate tomorrow to see why your AFRs go retarded.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 PM

the only thing i can think of is that the car might have sucked in some water during the rainstorm.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

let us know what you find out.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, you're running ITBs and AEM stand alone fuel management? From your description, it sounds like your fuel maps have become corrupted, there is a fault in one of our sensors, or there is a serious problem with the engine to make it run so lean on acceleration. Even though your symptoms are correlated with the rain storm, I don't know how sucking in water would affect A/F ratios unless the plumbing or electronics were somehow affected. I'd give your tuner a call to see what they suggest and would not drive the car with A/F ratios so high.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the rain did anything to the motor while running through a rainstorm...but it might have screwed something with the ITB linkage. Are all the butterflys closing? Does the linkage move freely? I've seen on old multiple side draft carb set-ups where water washes away the lube on the linkage and causes them to stick inconsistantly.

Also, check the electrical connections on the injectors and map to make sure they are dry...that vented hood may have let in enough water to soak em.

Otherwise...save your favorite fuel mapping and see what happens if you force the issue with the EMS.

I may see Mase today or tomorrow...I'll ask him what he thinks.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 AM

try it again but this time pinch off the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.
if no change occurs, you can rule out the fpr as the problem.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, after messing around with it for 4 hours today, here's where I'm at.

I had tons of water in my gas...I let it run for over an hour at idle in the driveway and it was still pouring steam out of the exhaust, and I mean POURING steam. My first thought was maybe I have a blown head gasket and I'm burning coolant, but my coolant level was holding steady, so it has to be water in the gas. I put in a can of octane boost and a can of seafoam to try to dry the gas out and clean out the gunk from the bad gas, but I also noticed a second issue...the reason the car was running so lean whenever I gave it gas was the MAP signal is not letting the engine go to 100% load...it will only go to 97%, so the fuel pills were only running the injectors at the 95% load pills from the fuel map.

I've tried everything I can to get the engine to go to 100% load, and it will not get there. I've created a new fuel map with the pills in the 95% load range richened up to close to the same levels as the 100% load cells, which at least makes the car driveable and keep the AFRs down to acceptable levels, but it's still not right. I'm able to drive the car around, but passing or any sort of reasonable acceleration is absolutely out of the question. I'm pretty sure that water vapor got into my vacuum lines and damaged my MAP sensor, as well as having a tank of bad gas.

I'm still open to suggestions...

Oh, and to top it all of, UCF lost to Miss St. 10-3.
What a sh.it weekend.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's got to be member in Atlanta who can let you swap MAPs for a few minutes to test and make sure your MAP is bad. Atlanta has their own forum...I'm not sure how often their COs come on s2ki. Might PM Jessie (webgod) or Cyclon36 though.

Atlanta forum is http://www.s2katlanta.com, but they have some strange rules about non-paying members posting.

You would have to have a ton of water in the tank though to hit the fuel pick-up. Probably should siphon as much out as possible and put in a fresh tank of gas.

Quick Reply: I have a really, really big problem