S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I have issues

Old 02-21-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have issues

Alright here is the deal, my tranny is damn wierd, and no one can seem to help me. There are times when I can go through gears fairly simple, with no grinding. There are times when it is a nightmare to drive. It becomes extremely notchy and grinds going into gears(unless here it is wierd to, if I slam them into gear they go fine, but if I do it easy the grind). Also when driving at a lower rpm's and shifting it is pretty easy most of the time, but the second I start shifting say at like 7k it gets bad. Now I have a pretty good warranty thought I bought. I have taken it to Honda and probably the best one in NM and the tech said he didn't feel an issue, but a few other owners here (and on this forum) have noticed what I noticed. Now the warranty will cover everything but the clutch disc in the tranny, but they have to verify it and then one of their reps need to come verify it. But honda said there was no issue. Any ideas what causes this? Please help I am at the point where I hate driving my car. Oh and as far as fluid, I have tried refilling with HMT, then drained and tried royal purple, then drained and tried GM synchromesh and it feels just a tad better with the GM.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would replace the master and the slave first.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 PM

Which gears does it happen in? Sounds to me u might have a syncromesh problem if it happens only in a specific set of gears.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 AM

It happens in 2 through 6. But it isn't all the time so it can't be the synchros, cause if they were bad it would get better, but my gears do sometimes.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RonnieB Posted on Feb 22 2007, 11:47 AM
It happens in 2 through 6. But it isn't all the time so it can't be the synchros, cause if they were bad it would get better, but my gears do sometimes.
How does the clutch pedal feel when it grinds?
If there is any change in how it feels or sounds you should look into changing clutch (brake) fluid and check out master and slave.
If you see any leaks there its time to replace / rebuild (ok with you s2k dre? )
Grease up the "ball joint" push rod at the slave an check that push rod for grooves.

Its also possible the clutch disk is getting kinda stuck on its splines (on the input shaft of the transmission) and is not releasing properly every now and then causing rough shifting.

When you release the clutch does it follow your foot with constant pressure?
If not, your throwout guide may need some grease.
That has little to do with a grinding shift but if the clutch disk's splines weren't greased properly that may have been overlooked as well.

Was the clutch disk ever changed?

You may do a search for "sticky clutch"

There are good posts to be found about the clutch pedal, slave push rod and throwout guide.

Succes!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 AM

There is perfect pressure at the clutch. I have changed the fluid. The clutch is fairly new. It really feels like something out of line or something is getting stuck. How do you know if it is getting stuck on the input shaft, and is there a way to fix that without taking of the tranny again ? Also there is no leaks at the master, and the slave was already replaced.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RonnieB Posted on Feb 22 2007, 04:27 PM
and the slave was already replaced.
I hope the bleeding was properly done.
While bleeding the slave on the transmission there is a chance of a small air pocket "hiding" in the slave.
Especially with a new - empty - one.
That may cause your problem too.
Gravity bleeding the slave off the transmission, with the bleeder valve pointing upwards and the piston pushed all the way back, there is less chance of that happening.
Worth a try IMO.
If you see air pockets coming out while doing that.. you have your answer.

Are you able to select all gears without any trouble while parked, clutch pressed & engine off?
Transmission warm or cold, should not make any difference.

How do you know if it is getting stuck on the input shaft,
When one experiences the symptoms you describe.

and is there a way to fix that without taking of the tranny again ?
I don't think so.
You can't reach through the PP to get to the clutch disk's splines.
Nano robots may be able to do that... one day

The clutch is fairly new.
New enough to pay the installer a visit to make then confirm the splines were checked and greased?
(as per servive manual)

Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Yeah the clutch is good, I know it. When the car is in park or off the gear selection is perfect. The slave was done right too. In fact we have blead it three times now. TYhanks so much for your help.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 AM

ttt
Old 02-24-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you bled the system did you do it on a lift or on the ground? if you did it on the ground did you lift the whole car up or just the front? if you only lifted up the front then you cant completely get the air out becasue of the way the bleeder sits. you need to also lift the rear of the car to get it level.

Quick Reply: I have issues