S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

i had a pretty bad day yesterday

Old 08-12-2024, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default i had a pretty bad day yesterday

sorry about this post. i just feel really depressed. it was supposed to be a nice fun day. we were on a drive for my gf's birthday, she wanted to go out in the convertible because it had been a while since we had gone for a long drive. we were supposed to go on a drive, get dinner, and then relax back at her place. instead, we ended up breaking down in an area with no cell service, relying on friends to avoid an $800 tow, taking 7 hours to get her home, and generally (at least i wasnt) just not having a good time. she was in a good mood the whole time at least. i love her so much.

we were driving down a back road with lots of sharp curves, places to slow down, speed up. i keep a BT OBD2 dongle in the car because of an issue a few years ago.
while going through vtech the engine stuttered and the check engine came on. there was also a kind of ticking noise from the engine.
i pulled out my phone and my car scanner app. we were just cruising in 5th @ 50mph and i handed it to her to have her check the code.
the code was p0132. i'd had it before, on really hot days. it was about 98 out where we are.
we pulled up to an area where there is a stop sign on the loop. the car stalled out for no reason, just coming to a stop with the clutch in.
i pulled over to the side and restarted the engine. it seemed fine in neutral, but the ticking was louder. it sounded like the TCT noise i've heard referenced in the forums. like cards flapping.
she called the drive and said why don't we just drive home. i said sure, but let's get dinner first. so we kept on the drive. it's a nice drive by the river, about 20 miles long. the other option was the 18 miles drive back up the cliffside (which would have to be done later anyways). I figured it was a similar distance to her house either way, so why not try to finish the date. it was her birthday after all. some car trouble for me shouldn't ruin her day.
we were crusing fine at 60 mph. but the ticking was now louder.
ticking only happened while on the gas. if i was coasting, no ticking, soon as you hit the gas again, it came back.
we pulled up to another stop sign after i cruise controlled for the last 16 miles at 4000rpm in 6th, 55mph trying to baby the engine. it was the stop sign before the turn off back into town. a 4 mile drive left.
the car stalled with the clutch in. hitting the start/stop did nothing. starter tries to crank but it just makes a skrt noise and then the console goes light. it's not the battery. voltage is fine according to the obd2.
coolant starts bubbling out of the over flow reservoir. fans aren't running cause the engine isn't on (?). starter won't crank the engine. just makes the skrt noise and no turnover at all. pop the hood. she says the crankshaft isn't spinning when i crank.
i'm worried i broke or skipped my timing chain because my tct went bad on the drive. i had been meaning to replace it but hadn't gotten around to it. the car drove just fine before this, although sometimes it would stall at low RPM on hot days.
now the engine seems seized. i can't get it to crank freely. just makes the skrt noise and the console goes dim. battery is fully charged according to multimeter. jumps with my battery jumper don't work (i keep some misc things in the trunk to help other people).
after some fiasco and 5 hours later, we got it to a friends house on a trailer. the tow company wanted $800 for a tow. thankfully i have friends with trucks and trailers.
once the engine cooled down, the crank would turn once if you try the starter. but i only did that 3 times. it doesn't sound good when that crank happens. loud skrting noise, doesn't sound good at all.
only check engine code is still the p0132. nothing else.
did i possibly break my timing chain? or can no tct make the timing chain come off the gears? i'm worried my engine is seized.
this isn't my daily but it was my dream car. i'd been driving it more often recently and remembering why i bought it. now im just depressed.
i was planning on doing the valve retainer service since i don't think it's been done. no clue of the prior history of the car. i got it cheap in 2018 for $8000 with 116k on the motor. i have the ap2 retainers and everything new for the top end. was going to check the valve clearances while i was under there about the stalling at low rpms occasionally.
top has to come off anyways. guess i can look a the chain then. have to get it back to my house, it's sitting at my friends house 35 miles away. he had to go to work this week so he has no way to trailer it to me until next thursday.
trying to get it fixed before rain comes again in the fall.
any recommendations for a game plan? think i'm screwed or maybe i can fix it once i get the valve cover off? new tct new chain new gears from billman? or might i be looking at a new motor?
thanks for your time. sorry about the post format. i'm not in a good headspace.

i had ai format it if you don't want to read my word salad. just not having a good time.

# Car Trouble Ruined My Girlfriend's Birthday Drive

I'm sorry about this post. I just feel really depressed. It was supposed to be a nice fun day, but things went wrong. We were on a drive for my girlfriend's birthday. She wanted to go out in the convertible because it had been a while since we had gone for a long drive. The plan was simple: go for a drive, get dinner, and then relax back at her place.

Instead, we ended up breaking down in an area with no cell service, relying on friends to avoid an $800 tow, taking 7 hours to get her home, and generally (at least I wasn't) just not having a good time. The silver lining? She was in a good mood the whole time at least. I love her so much.

We were driving down a back road with lots of sharp curves, places to slow down, speed up. I keep a BT OBD2 dongle in the car because of an issue a few years ago. While going through VTEC, the engine stuttered and the check engine light came on. There was also a kind of ticking noise from the engine. I pulled out my phone and my car scanner app. We were just cruising in 5th @ 50mph and I handed it to her to check the code. The code was P0132. I'd had it before, on really hot days. It was about 98°F out where we are.

We pulled up to an area where there is a stop sign on the loop. The car stalled out for no reason, just coming to a stop with the clutch in. I pulled over to the side and restarted the engine. It seemed fine in neutral, but the ticking was louder. It sounded like the TCT noise I've heard referenced in the forums, like cards flapping.

She called the drive and said why don't we just drive home. I said sure, but let's get dinner first. So we kept on the drive. It's a nice drive by the river, about 20 miles long. The other option was the 18 miles drive back up the cliffside (which would have to be done later anyway). I figured it was a similar distance to her house either way, so why not try to finish the date. It was her birthday after all. Some car trouble for me shouldn't ruin her day.

We were cruising fine at 60 mph, but the ticking was now louder. Ticking only happened while on the gas. If I was coasting, no ticking, soon as you hit the gas again, it came back. We pulled up to another stop sign after I cruise controlled for the last 16 miles at 4000rpm in 6th, 55mph trying to baby the engine. It was the stop sign before the turn off back into town. A 4 mile drive left.

The car stalled with the clutch in. Hitting the start/stop did nothing. Starter tries to crank but it just makes a skrt noise and then the console goes light. Coolant starts bubbling out of the overflow reservoir. Fans aren't running cause the engine isn't on (?). Starter won't crank the engine. We popped the hood. She says the crankshaft isn't spinning when I crank.

After some fiasco and 5 hours later, we got it to a friend's house on a trailer. The tow company wanted $800 for a tow. Thankfully I have friends with trucks and trailers. Once the engine cooled down, the crank would turn once if you try the starter. But I only did that 3 times. It doesn't sound good when that crank happens. Loud skrting noise, doesn't sound good at all. Only check engine code is still the P0132. Nothing else.

I'm worried I possibly broke my timing chain, or can no TCT make the timing chain come off the gears? I'm worried my engine is seized. This isn't my daily but it was my dream car. I'd been driving it more often recently and remembering why I bought it. Now I'm just depressed.

I was planning on doing the valve retainer service since I don't think it's been done. No clue of the prior history of the car. I got it cheap in 2018 for $8000 with 116k on the motor. I have the AP2 retainers and everything new for the top end. Was going to check the valve clearances while I was under there about the stalling at low RPMs occasionally.

The top has to come off anyway. Guess I can look at the chain then. Have to get it back to my house, it's sitting at my friend's house 35 miles away. He had to go to work this week so he has no way to trailer it to me until next Thursday. Trying to get it fixed before rain comes again in the fall.

Any recommendations for a game plan? Think I'm screwed or maybe I can fix it once I get the valve cover off? New TCT, new chain, new gears from Billman? Or might I be looking at a new motor?

Thanks for your time. Sorry about the post format. I'm not in a good headspace.

TL;DR: On my girlfriend's birthday, our convertible broke down during a scenic drive. Engine started ticking, then stalled completely. P0132 code, possible timing chain/TCT issue. Coolant overflow, engine won't crank properly now. Took 7 hours to get home via friend's trailer. Car (my dream car) is now at a friend's house 35 miles away. Need advice on potential fixes: timing chain, TCT, gears, or possibly new engine? Feeling depressed about ruining the birthday and potentially major damage to my car.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:58 AM

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,075 Posts

So this is a long wordy thing ... summary

You have had a primary O2 sensor codes before and again now, but did not do anything to address them? That sensor will affect fuel trim and how the engine runs

You overheated the car if coolant is bubbling over. What was the temp gauge reading?

You heard a ticking noise, but kept driving it anyways until it would not run at all??

You say you are cranking it but your GF Says the crank is not turning. The starter directly turns the crank (regardless of if the timing chain is connected). So is the starter spinning but nothing else is?

It is hard to make much from this story the way it is posted here.
The following 2 users liked this post by engifineer:
bad_driver (08-12-2024), larry resnick (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 08:14 AM

o2 sensor code only happened once last summer.
3 bars on the car coolant. coolant temp sensor said 202f at the hottest. that's why it bubbling into overflow was strange.
yeah, i kept driving because we were in a remote area with no cell service. i had to walk 4 miles in 98 degree weather to get cell service to call the tow company and my friends. the 2 cars we saw drove past us, they didn't care we were broken down.
when the car first died, it did not turn the crank at all. now once the car cooled down, the crank turns but only slightly when you hit the starter to crank it. i only tried it a few times because i dont want to do more damage if the chain is loose in the engine. it's like it's jammed against something
it's a 2001, i forgot to mention that.
there is no additional information that can be given until i get the valve cover off. im not sure what more i could provide.

Last edited by Rewire; 08-12-2024 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:21 AM

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewire
o2 sensor code only happened once last summer.
3 bars on the car coolant. coolant temp sensor said 202f at the hottest. that's why it bubbling into overflow was strange.
yeah, i kept driving because we were in a remote area with no cell service. i had to walk 4 miles in 98 degree weather to get cell service to call the tow company and my friends. the 2 cars we saw drove past us, they didn't care we were broken down.
when the car first died, it did not turn the crank at all. now once the car cooled down, the crank turns but only slightly when you hit the starter to crank it. i only tried it a few times because i dont want to do more damage if the chain is loose in the engine. it's like it's jammed against something
it's a 2001, i forgot to mention that.
there is no additional information that can be given until i get the valve cover off. im not sure what more i could provide.
It looks like you may be looking for another engine.

Sorry.

Last edited by windhund116; 08-12-2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2024, 10:28 AM

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,025 Posts

It doesn't sound like a TCT related issue.

You may have seized the engine from rod knock or some other bottom end bearing issue (main bearings or thrust washers).

How's your engine oil look? Low level? Metallic shiny particles?

Did your oil pressure light ever turn on during your drive?

What is done to the car, and do you have a habit of holding the clutch pedal down at stop lights or while the car is coasting?
The following users liked this post:
Kyle (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
It doesn't sound like a TCT related issue.

You may have seized the engine from rod knock or some other bottom end bearing issue (main bearings or thrust washers).

How's your engine oil look? Low level? Metallic shiny particles?

Did your oil pressure light ever turn on during your drive?

What is done to the car, and do you have a habit of holding the clutch pedal down at stop lights or while the car is coasting?
Oil pressure light never turned on. I change every 3000 with full synthetic, OEM Honda filter direct from the dealer.

​​​​​​I know not to ride or hold the clutch in, so no, haven't been doing that.

I'll check and change the oil when I get it up to my house to work on it. As far as I know it should be fine....I didnt see any oil leaks or leaking....just the coolant overflowing.
windhund116 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 11:39 AM

Received 646 Likes on 441 Posts

Yeah I read all of that and my first question is what's the oil level/condition?
Old 08-12-2024, 11:49 AM

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewire
...just the coolant overflowing.
Any milk chocolate-like emulsion on the dipstick or in the oil cover? Any oil in the water?
Old 08-12-2024, 12:32 PM

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Quick check...try turning the crank using a hand tool.

Key off, of course

Use a 19mm short socket on a standard length 1/2" ratchet and put it on the crank pulley bolt.

Turn the engine clockwise

Does it turn over? You shouldn't have to put much force into it.
larry resnick (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 03:36 PM

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Bubbling into overflow can mean a variety of things. Often, it's as simple as a stuck open radiator cap.

In your case I don't think it's that simple. I hear "rattling increases on throttle" and my first guess is rod knock.

If you don't see anything on the valve cover, drain the oil and see what you get. If you see metal shavings, well, my condolences.

Quick Reply: i had a pretty bad day yesterday