S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I got my AEM EMS...

Old 03-17-2002, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RacingE S2000
For the ems to be able to read the boost most likely you will need a new map.
I didn't want to get into it earlier, but I don't think this is correct. Mainly because the whole reason there is a check valve in the kit is because the stock ECU would read boost, and retard timing. The check valve "bleeds" this boost away from the MAP sensor so that the ECU doesn't see it. So, based on this I assume that it reads boost. Now, I am assume that to get a correct boost reading to the EMS I will need to remove the check valve and return the setup to how it was stock (which I'll have to research).

As for the AFR, I'm curious as you are. If the AFR was added just because the stock ECU would not add fuel based on boost, then no it won't be needed. If the AFR was added because the stock fuel system (w/ upgraded fuel pump and fuel rail, which are part of the kit) can't physically get enough fuel to the engine, then it will need to stay.

I plan on calling Comptech tomorrow to ask them what should be done to the kit when I add EMS. I'll post their recommendations.
Old 03-17-2002, 08:14 PM

im 99% sure the stock map wont read boost I think with your boost you will need a 2 bar map sensor im pretty sure the stock honda one is a 1 bar heres a good website http://www.zdyne.com/ they do ems type units for other hondas it has good info on why you dont wanna use a rising rate regulator and why you want to go with larger injectors....HTH
Old 03-17-2002, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by RacingE S2000
...I think with your boost you will need a 2 bar map sensor...
Well, right now the kit is not even pushing 1 bar...but that's good information to know for my boost upgrade. The documentation that comes with the EMS has a formula for what size injectors you need, I guess I should run it and see what it says for my car.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:19 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]

Well, right now the kit is not even pushing 1 bar...but that's good information to know for my boost upgrade.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:09 PM

I'll be interested in hearing your results. Hopefully everything goes well and you have great results from this unit

Jaykkub
Old 03-18-2002, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wes, et al,

You should not need to replace the MAP sensor. Both Hondata and Zdyne have determined that the stock Honda MAP is good to about 10.5-11 psi. IOW, the response is easily calibrated up to that point. I run a Zdyne and 8 psi on my CRX using the stock MAP. The only caveat is that AEM must have done a calibration setup on a Honda MAP for their system. If they don't have a option for a Honda MAP in their setup, then you'll need to replace it. Also, the check valve will have to go.

You will need to retain the AFR if you keep the stock injectors. They simply won't flow the required fuel at stock pressures. However, I'd strongly recommend going to bigger injectors. High fuel pressures stress the injectors and fuel pump. With bigger injectors you could run stock pressures (and even a stock pump up to 450 or so hp). Run the numbers AEM gives you, but I'll tell you that 450 cc/minute is the bare minimum and 550 cc/min is probably preferable. If you keep the stock injectors, trying to program fuel maps with the AFR in place will be a bitch (you'd be better off just running an abnormally high fuel pressure all the time) - just get bigger injectors :-)

Be very careful with the "OEM" map they give you for the car. Unless they decoded the stock maps or got them from Honda (both only slightly more likely than hell freezing over) they had to guess or do a baseline setup on a guinea pig. Getting a map setup takes lots and lots of time and even small changes can make huge differences in drivability at part throttle. So, be very thorough.

UL
Old 03-18-2002, 10:56 AM

Ha, I got a call back from Shad @ Comptech. I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing Shad, because he usually is right on...but he had no idea what "AEM EMS" was. Even when I explained what it was he said that he knew "nothing" about the system. I mean, c'mon, that's ridiculous; you can't open a tuning magazine without seeing the full page ads. Unfortunately, because of this, he was pretty much useless to me. All he was able to tell me is that he thought I could return the MAP setup back to stock. He seemed reluctant to even talk about it since he didn't know anything about the unit.

Oh well. He did mention that he had been working on aftercooling the S2000 kit <starting this whole thing up again > with some favorable results. But that he hadn't touched it since December; put the car back to "stock".
Old 03-19-2002, 06:40 PM

wes

make sure that you get the current version of the software and firmware from aem, even though you just got you ems it still could be old. We picked one up this past friday and it did not have the current versions, aem was supposed to post them on the web today or tomarrow. They do include a base map for the s2000, the other honda maps are all b18. We are currently tuning one for a turbo prelude. It is not as plug and play as they claim ( i imagine you will probably find this). The hondata set up is more user friendly (i am a dealer for both) however the aem piece is far more programable. Good luck
Old 03-19-2002, 08:59 PM

If the aftercooler comes out with favorable results I may need to reconsider the Comptech kit

Jaykkub
Old 03-22-2002, 11:19 AM

The installation / tuning has been postponed. Scheduling conflicts with my mechanic, a local tuner, and a dyno have delayed the upgrade. Hopefully everything will work out for next week.

Quick Reply: I got my AEM EMS...