S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I drive my S2000 500 miles a year-oil change when?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerryj1
How often should you change your oil if you only drive the car 500 miles a year? Thanks.

Thanks all for the input. Yes, it's 500 miles a year. I love the beast (2000 model with 47,000 miles) , but it hurts my back and I have limited time. The New Hampshire climate (snow, ice) is not forgiving of high powered rear wheel drive cars so it sits at home for the winter. At least that's what I tell myself.

I do use a gas stabilizer along with Shell gas and have changed EVERY fluid in the past year. I don't jack up the car to store it, should I? Also, what tires are good, not great. Mine need replacing.

And, the clutch seems to be wanting to be replaced. Any ideas here? What should it cost? What brand to put in? What other things to do at the same time?

Thanks again,

Jerry
Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS
Doesn't the owners manual say 5,000 or once a year which ever comes first? Maybe the fuel in the tank needs more consideration than the motor oil? Probably a dose of Sta-bil should be used. Weather or not this is necessary, it would make me more comfortable. I also agree that the car should be driven more.
I believe the "oil life" calculation on the digital dash is based around an 7500 mile interval.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Stuff a hand towel into the lower back of the seat.

Check the tires forum, lots of inexpensive and good options.

How can the clutch even get worn out?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS
Doesn't the owners manual say 5,000 or once a year which ever comes first? Maybe the fuel in the tank needs more consideration than the motor oil? Probably a dose of Sta-bil should be used. Weather or not this is necessary, it would make me more comfortable. I also agree that the car should be driven more.

Its every 7,500 miles or 12 months.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider an engine block heater and idleing the car for a few minutes each week while in storage. Also consider operating the clutch and depressing the brakes and turning the steering wheel lock to lock. This keeps fluids moving and IMO better than sitting and doing nothing.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jerryj1
Originally Posted by Jerryj1' timestamp='1321568004' post='21165415
How often should you change your oil if you only drive the car 500 miles a year? Thanks.

Thanks all for the input. Yes, it's 500 miles a year. I love the beast (2000 model with 47,000 miles) , but it hurts my back and I have limited time. The New Hampshire climate (snow, ice) is not forgiving of high powered rear wheel drive cars so it sits at home for the winter. At least that's what I tell myself.

I do use a gas stabilizer along with Shell gas and have changed EVERY fluid in the past year. I don't jack up the car to store it, should I? Also, what tires are good, not great. Mine need replacing.

And, the clutch seems to be wanting to be replaced. Any ideas here? What should it cost? What brand to put in? What other things to do at the same time?

Thanks again,

Jerry
That's love to buy a car you can't drive comfortably. Maybe getting a aftermarket seat would help, there's no way I could have enough self control to drive it 500 miles a year. More like 500 miles a month, its so much fun. A five minute cigarette run now normally take 30-45 minutes. I feel like a dumb 16 year old but I just love riding around in it.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by LagunaBlu2k
Originally Posted by Jerryj1' timestamp='1321629097' post='21167267
[quote name='Jerryj1' timestamp='1321568004' post='21165415']
I drive it to the dump at 6 grand in third gear down a VERY windy and off camber road. The neighbors hate me. I love it when the cam kicks in. I can do this 2 or more times a week.

Thanks again,

Jerry
That's love to buy a car you can't drive comfortably. Maybe getting a aftermarket seat would help, there's no way I could have enough self control to drive it 500 miles a year. More like 500 miles a month, its so much fun. A five minute cigarette run now normally take 30-45 minutes. I feel like a dumb 16 year old but I just love riding around in it.
[/quote]
Old 11-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by LagunaBlu2k
Originally Posted by Jerryj1' timestamp='1321629097' post='21167267
[quote name='Jerryj1' timestamp='1321568004' post='21165415']

Thanks again,

Jerry
[/quote]
Old 11-18-2011, 07:39 AM

I drive it to the dump at 6 grand in third gear down a VERY windy and off camber road. The neighbors hate me. I love it when the cam kicks in. I can do this 2 or more times a week.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 AM

I have been told the clutch slave cylinder might be shot. There is erratic performance with the clutch.

Quick Reply: I drive my S2000 500 miles a year-oil change when?