S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I did the MOD

Old 05-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the MOD

I'd like to start off expressing THANKS! to those (Billman) that pioneered the slave cylinder mod for the 04-05 cars. I spent a couple of hours attempting to remove the "C" clip from the slave...finally, decided that it, apparently, requires more mechanical skill than I possess. Two choices....buy a 03 slave and install OR figure out a sure way to get the damn clip out. I rotated the clip to a known position. I then drilled a 1/32" hole into the groove where the clip resides by CAREFULLY measuring the depth of the clip into the end of the slave (and into the "open" part of the clip). I then rotated the clip about 45 degress (so that the end of the clip was over the freshly drilled hole) and then used one of my newly purchased picks and inserted it into the hole and pushed one side of the clip OUT of its groove. THEN, it was easy to get another pick under it and remove it from the cylinder (and remove the offending delay valve per Billman's post). YEAH!!

On reinstallation, it's critically important to set the greased BALL on the slave cylinder back into the BALL SOCKET of the lever arm that actuates the clutch. The easiest way I could see to verify the two were together correctly was to stick my finger into the vent ports (there are two of them) of the rubber dust cover (this part stays on the tranny for this procedure) on the side of the transmission and actually feel the arm and make sure (by feel) that this coupling is mated correctly. I read on one of Billman's posts that he bleeds the brake system by gravity....ie he puts the Honda DOT 3 fluid in the slave resevoir and cracks the bleed valve on the slave and waits for the fluid to push the air out. Worked like a charm!

Oh yeah...I thought it would be a good idea to plug the hole. I used a two part epoxy to do this. It's a very tiny hole...but, now I'm not worried about dust/water getting into the end of the slave (since Honda already has the rubber end-cap). I suppose a person could also screw a very small screw into the hole if they were REALLY concerned.

Sorry about the long post....Unfortunately, I don't have pictures to share.

Hope this helps....
Old 05-08-2005, 05:24 PM

How does the clutch feel after the mod?

Thank you
Old 05-08-2005, 07:06 PM

Clutch engagement now feels ROCK-solid. If I hadn't figured out how to get the "C" clip out, I would have bought the earlier model year slave cylinder. I wouldn't have been able to tolerate any more clutch slippage at spirited red-line shifts anymore. As I understand it, the 04-05 already have beefed up diffs....so, I'm guessing Honda added the delay valve as added insurance.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree it's a bitch to take out. I did the mod for a friend of mine and it took about 30 minutes to pick out.

You have to have some skilz to get that sucka.....

Either way.....it's worth it once it's out..