S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I designed and built a solution to the heat bog

Old 10-16-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it, cut out the psuedo vents in the bumper and there's your fresh air
Old 10-16-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

want one.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Oct 14 2005, 06:35 PM
Dieselpilot, I applaud your craftmanship and creativity. Please keep in mind S2ki's rules for selling products, you must be a S2ki sponsor to do so.

This is right up the alley of several of the board sponsors, both Ricks and Gofast labs. I'd reccomend contacting them to see if they are interested in selling them for you like other owner designed products.
Sure, let's put a "middle man" into the picture to really raise the price.

DIESELPILOT, if this becomes a reality, please become a sponsor and DIY.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

DIESELPILOT1969 -

I'm fascinated at how you can produce a shape like that [because I know nothing about how it's made]. I won't be using my OEM airbox, but I'm still impressed with your intake.

Could you briefly describe how a piece like yours is manufactured?

Do you carve it out of modeling clay first, then split it in half and make some kind of external shape molds? It does look like 2 "half-shells" that are "glued" together. Is there special equipment involved? Just curious.

I figure if you can make a shape like that, you can make almost anything!

-Pete
Old 10-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a slick mod! Gonna be a big seller for sure.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freq,Oct 16 2005, 06:38 PM
Sure, let's put a "middle man" into the picture to really raise the price.

DIESELPILOT, if this becomes a reality, please become a sponsor and DIY.
It lends itself to small batches as a DIY job.
Keeps the price down and all the money in the pockets of the guy who came up with it
Old 10-16-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the top
Old 10-16-2005, 09:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I like it. I really don't know why no one (inparticular me) has thought of it before. I applaud your initiative.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 14 2005, 03:57 PM
I guess my previous reply was a bit too long winded for you to read. I'll recap and add a couple of things.

1. The snorkel at its narrowest section (just as it curls over the rad support) has a very small cross sectional area. IE. It's restricted and is less in area than the next smallest opening - the hole where air enters the airbox.
2. True, you may get a bit of "ram air" effect but anything less than about 100 mph will only serve to negate that restriction I spoke of in #1.
3. As most people who have the snorkel will tell you, the elevation and position that the snorkel draws air from promotes the ingestion of grit and sand in abundance into the airbox. This in itself, is not a tremendous negative factor, but one that has irked more than a few snorkel owners.
4. The snorkel can still bring water into the airbox if the car runs into a large splash from other vehicles. However, this is not a big deal either since the stock airbox is well designed with it's own water trap in the first chamber. Nevertheless, this new device would render water ingestion a non issue.

5. This new invention appears to not diminish in cross sectional area.
6. It draws air from the hollow inside the front bumper where it is shielded from hot air. In effect, it too, is drawing air from "outside".
7. We haven't determined if this engine would benefit from air coming in under slight pressure. It seems to do just fine sucking air at atmosphere.
In response to #1...do you think the change in cross sectional area really makes much of a difference with a snorkle. There is such a large cavity behind it creating a much lower pressure. Thus, Bernoulli's principle, and the venturi effect. The air that is traveling through that small area will speed up and probably cool, and pressure should go up. Meaning close to the same volume of air is still getting through.

Yes, this area is a restriction, but how big of one? Probably not much. Will this new thing make more power? Probably not.

The only benifits I see in this product are:
1. Low Price (I assume)
2. Stock Looking

I doubt it will operate better then a snorkle, and anybody that worries about water issues with are snorkle is a flippin nut case. If its going to sell it should be based on the price, and the fact that it looks stock. Ya, sand and grit thing holds true, but errg...how hard is it to clean once every 4 months...lol

good luck with this, nice job...hopefully you keep the price low and get a lot of these out there...I'm sure it'll work just fine. Personally, I'm keeping my V1 though.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing about ram air is.. Most go on passenger side... Along w/ most exhausts.
Soo. In bumper-bumper traffic, in theory it should go.
Exhaust gas ---> "Ram Air"

Now some might say, it rises right after it gets out of your exhaust.. but go outside, crank your car.. and put your hand UNDER the tip, about 5-6 inches or so(what it would be from your ram air tunnel in traffic) and see what you feel. It's a heavier gas than oxygen, so it falls.. In theory.

And ram air= shit, that's why it's only used on cars that it will affect. I.e. Formula 1, INDY.

But, all comes to the same, i'm keeping the stock intake on my S2K, going to find some way i can make a ABS tube to get rid of that 'accordian' tube..lol. And get this guys invention, or make some sort myself. Great idea though friend. I'd be willing to buy.

Quick Reply: I designed and built a solution to the heat bog