S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I designed and built a solution to the heat bog

Old 10-14-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat bog is not a huge issue for me, but I want to see how this plays out.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM

I don't see how this could be better than a snorkel that has forced air going in it directly from the front bumper. I mean, even in traffic the snorkel is pulling air from the outside, not to mention it's effects once you start gaining momentum.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

I must say,

BRILLIANT!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by david1,Oct 13 2005, 10:32 PM
That looks like a factory part!

This is one of the reasons that some of us want.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kodokan_4,Oct 14 2005, 10:06 AM
I applaude your ingenuity and effort!

I have a couple of questions, though.

The engine moves quite a bit while driving, and also moves due to the torque effect when accelerating/decelerating. The J's Engine Torque Damper helps with this issue, but it still occurs to a lesser degree. The OEM inlet for the airbox isn't connected to anything, therefore, there's no issue- but your inlet is connected to the stationary sidewall and the moving engine, without any flexible connection. I'm curious your inlet will stay in place or not, or if significant wear will occur at its attachment points.

I thought heat bog in the S2000 mainly occurs when you start accelerating from a stopped position, or in very slow moving traffic. In other words, when the car is moving, heat bog doesn't occur due to the flow of fresh air. I believe the OEM inlet is designed to pick up cool air that flows around the right side of the radiator when the car is moving. The OEM radiator cooling plate (air guide) and the hood of the car help to force cool air through this opening and to the OEM air inlet:

At slow speeds, or when starting from a stopped position, won't your air inlet pick up hot air rising from the front brake?

A bigger issue may be air flow. The OEM air inlet is designed to to utilize the venturi effect to increase the incoming air velocity, that's why it's shaped like a rectangle air horn/velocity stack. The OEM inlet is also very short and straight to reduce resistance. From the shape of your inlet, I don't see how it could flow nearly as much air as the OEM inlet. This might be a problem at high RPMs.

I'm not sure that dyno testing works well for intakes. It might take some "real world" testing to see if it works better than the OEM air inlet.

-Pete
It's not attached to the fenderwall in anyway. I come up with stuff likethis all the time for production aircraft so I kinda had the engine torque movement in mind.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:23 PM

nice! i would really like to see how this comes out.. and how mcuh!?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:34 PM

sounds and looks real good
Also,not to go off topic a bit..but I realize I still had this intercooler Style intake from my old GSR...I really wish I could utilize this some way,,but looks like it wouldnt fit between radiator and bumper.(and tubing bends are totally off)..heres a pic of it
http://www.arospeed.com/popup_add_image.php?imagesID=6
(if there was a thinner version of this it would be a good look.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Dieselpilot, I applaud your craftmanship and creativity. Please keep in mind S2ki's rules for selling products, you must be a S2ki sponsor to do so.

This is right up the alley of several of the board sponsors, both Ricks and Gofast labs. I'd reccomend contacting them to see if they are interested in selling them for you like other owner designed products.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F20_C,Oct 14 2005, 03:14 PM
I don't see how this could be better than a snorkel that has forced air going in it directly from the front bumper. I mean, even in traffic the snorkel is pulling air from the outside, not to mention it's effects once you start gaining momentum.
I guess my previous reply was a bit too long winded for you to read. I'll recap and add a couple of things.

1. The snorkel at its narrowest section (just as it curls over the rad support) has a very small cross sectional area. IE. It's restricted and is less in area than the next smallest opening - the hole where air enters the airbox.
2. True, you may get a bit of "ram air" effect but anything less than about 100 mph will only serve to negate that restriction I spoke of in #1.
3. As most people who have the snorkel will tell you, the elevation and position that the snorkel draws air from promotes the ingestion of grit and sand in abundance into the airbox. This in itself, is not a tremendous negative factor, but one that has irked more than a few snorkel owners.
4. The snorkel can still bring water into the airbox if the car runs into a large splash from other vehicles. However, this is not a big deal either since the stock airbox is well designed with it's own water trap in the first chamber. Nevertheless, this new device would render water ingestion a non issue.

5. This new invention appears to not diminish in cross sectional area.
6. It draws air from the hollow inside the front bumper where it is shielded from hot air. In effect, it too, is drawing air from "outside".
7. We haven't determined if this engine would benefit from air coming in under slight pressure. It seems to do just fine sucking air at atmosphere.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:24 PM

Whoa, anything less than 100mph wont give a snorkel a ram air effect, I think that's a little extreme. I read your post, this "new" plastic pipe concept seems like it would help with heat bog. I just think your comments about the snorkel are just personal opinions and not actual facts. Anyway, dieselpilot great work and look forward to seeing the outcome of this

Quick Reply: I designed and built a solution to the heat bog