S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I designed and built a solution to the heat bog

Old 10-14-2005, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interested as well
Old 10-14-2005, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending on how much, im VERY interested!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 13 2005, 02:56 PM
I believe this is the greatest mod for the stock intake that anyone has come up with. It may far exceed the abilities of the "snorkel". The stock intake is already basically a "short ram" intake. The only problem with it is it draws in HOT air. With this mod and a high flow filter like the K&N or JR or Comptech inside the airbox, this may be the ultimate CAI. All that's left is to get rid of that accordian style intake tube and we've got the perfect intake.
This is pure beauty and absolute genius.

It's important enough that I've taken the liberty of posting this up for you.

Please, do tell us all about this.
is this routed to the bumper? or it just ends off in that chamber? it maybe more effective if you route this to the front of the car...

this is what i had before on my integra...

it's not as effective because i never enclosed the filter element. but i was getting cold air routed to the filter...

i hope this helps with more ideas...

Old 10-14-2005, 03:05 AM

That's great man
Old 10-14-2005, 03:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The ITG Maxogen takes that idea one stage further, by enclosing the filter in a case and attaching the intake tube.

(Bit like the Mugen jobbie in S2Ks).

Apparently they're effective.

My only concern with the XViper 'breathing through the gills' intake is that the tortuous route may create turbulence and therefore drag.

The straighter route should be better.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

is this routed to the bumper? or it just ends off in that chamber? it maybe more effective if you route this to the front of the car
I believe it stops at the fender wall. In the case of a totally enclosed air box like the stock setup, no, it won't be anymore effective to take the air entry point any further down. You need the air to be "rammed" in because your filter is exposed. That whole area behind the fake air duct doesn't get hot and "ram air" has no effect until you get up to about 100 mph. There is no need to extend the reach of the air intake. This will only suck up even more crap and debris, not to mention the dreaded water ingestion that stops so many people from getting the type of intake that has the air intake down in that area.

My only concern with the XViper 'breathing through the gills' intake is that the tortuous route may create turbulence and therefore drag.
Please explain. I don't recall using this terminology. I only mentioned about the "accordian" shape of the rubber tube between the filter and the throttle body. What the path BEFORE the filter looks like should not contribute much to the overall intake performance as long as it is not restricting air volume. This has been my concern all along with the "snorkel" type of extensions - that severe narrowing where it much get over the rad and support has a very small cross sectional area. Plus, being so low, the snorkel types draw in a lot of sand and debris.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I applaude your ingenuity and effort!

I have a couple of questions, though.

The engine moves quite a bit while driving, and also moves due to the torque effect when accelerating/decelerating. The J's Engine Torque Damper helps with this issue, but it still occurs to a lesser degree. The OEM inlet for the airbox isn't connected to anything, therefore, there's no issue- but your inlet is connected to the stationary sidewall and the moving engine, without any flexible connection. I'm curious your inlet will stay in place or not, or if significant wear will occur at its attachment points.

I thought heat bog in the S2000 mainly occurs when you start accelerating from a stopped position, or in very slow moving traffic. In other words, when the car is moving, heat bog doesn't occur due to the flow of fresh air. I believe the OEM inlet is designed to pick up cool air that flows around the right side of the radiator when the car is moving. The OEM radiator cooling plate (air guide) and the hood of the car help to force cool air through this opening and to the OEM air inlet:

At slow speeds, or when starting from a stopped position, won't your air inlet pick up hot air rising from the front brake?

A bigger issue may be air flow. The OEM air inlet is designed to to utilize the venturi effect to increase the incoming air velocity, that's why it's shaped like a rectangle air horn/velocity stack. The OEM inlet is also very short and straight to reduce resistance. From the shape of your inlet, I don't see how it could flow nearly as much air as the OEM inlet. This might be a problem at high RPMs.

I'm not sure that dyno testing works well for intakes. It might take some "real world" testing to see if it works better than the OEM air inlet.

-Pete
Old 10-14-2005, 08:23 AM

I think if you placed a tool inside the air box to measure the velocity of the incoming air you would find your design to be flawed. The bends in your tube are too ridged, 3, 90 degree bends.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:26 AM

Interesting Issues Pete...

Did'nt think about these issues..

Old 10-14-2005, 08:39 AM

Creative!

Out of curiosity, do you mold the plastic by hand or machine. I would love to be able to build my own plastic pieces.

for good old craftsmanship.

Quick Reply: I designed and built a solution to the heat bog