S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I designed and built a solution to the heat bog

Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Siepel,Mar 23 2006, 11:49 PM
I'm not really interested in dyno results. This mod was not about gaining/losing, but to eliminate the heat bog.

All you need is two S2000s one stock and one with 'the mod', both with attached OBD tools and read the intake temperatures to compare under exactly the same circumstances.

I did a very simple (and perhaps too unreliable) comparison between different kinds of intakes and found almost no difference. This led me to the conclusion that the heat bog is not about the temperature of the air sucked into the intake system, but the heat absorption of (any) intake box from the engine room and transferral of this heat to the slow moving air already inside the intake box.

Anyway, that is my theory and only a proper comparison test can tell what will really happen.

Alas,

Siepel
Hmm, that's a good point but I would think that the air inside the air box isn't moving slowly under throttle as it would be sucked into the intake. When stopped at a stop light I could see the air heat up as it's not moving that much.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 05S2K,Mar 24 2006, 11:33 AM
but I would think that the air inside the air box isn't moving slowly under throttle as it would be sucked into the intake. When stopped at a stop light I could see the air heat up as it's not moving that much.
That's why heat bog happens at or right after traffic jam. If you can keep moving at a somewhat decent pace even with bumper-to-bumper traffic, heat bog is not as bad.

With ITB and fully programmable ECU in my miata, I fine-tuned with the most ignition advance I can run in that car in any situation. In traffic jam, intake air temp could get as high as 70C (160F) in 30C-summer afternoon and I had to specifically dial back ignition timing and add fuel for extra cooling for such high intake air temp to prevent detonation. As long as traffic kept moving in somewhat decent pace, intake air temp would not reach 70C.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Siepel,Mar 23 2006, 11:49 PM
I'm not really interested in dyno results. This mod was not about gaining/losing, but to eliminate the heat bog.

All you need is two S2000s one stock and one with 'the mod', both with attached OBD tools and read the intake temperatures to compare under exactly the same circumstances.

I did a very simple (and perhaps too unreliable) comparison between different kinds of intakes and found almost no difference. This led me to the conclusion that the heat bog is not about the temperature of the air sucked into the intake system, but the heat absorption of (any) intake box from the engine room and transferral of this heat to the slow moving air already inside the intake box.

Anyway, that is my theory and only a proper comparison test can tell what will really happen.

Alas,

Siepel
Agree about this mod targeting at heat bog not hp gain. If any dyno results, I would only be interested in whether it impedes air flow and HURT performance.

Regarding your comparison that resulted in "almost no difference", did you compare intake air temp close to manifold or close to air filter? Did you compare under traffic jam situations? I swapped out my AEM V1 for the factory airbox for the last winter and found heat bog more pronounced even in the winter. I have to agree that heat bog is due to heat build up in the manifold/airbox, etc., with not enough moving air mass to bring the heat away (and into the engine ).
Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Mar 22 2006, 02:16 PM
eveyone bought CAIs
Part of me was waiting for this to become avail....

Now Db hurts...