S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I can't get much rear camber!

Old 05-11-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I can't get much rear camber!

Although I have had an alignment with 2.2 degrees negative in the rear on my car before, they can't get more than 1.6 degrees now. This has been a problem on the last 2 alignments. Predictably my rear end is very loose.

What would make this happen? I am only running .09 degrees toe and the alignment that gave me 2.2 degrees camber had .08 toe in so it isn't a change in toe.

Up front I run 2 degrees neg camber with.15 toe out and although I only get 5.5 degrees caster due to the camber, it that is still OK. I am totally happy with the front alignment. I have run this same front alignment for over a year and thru 5 alignments.

I have changed rims. I am running Prodrive 06s. The rears are 8.5" wide with a 54 mm offset.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have no issues dialing in that much in the rear. On the s2k, the toe and camber are linked - make sure the person doing the alignment knows what the heck is going on.

If you are planning to have a new alignment performed this is my suggestion: Get a Helms manual (it goes into alignment pretty well) and see how much you can get yourself. My guess is you'll be able to get in the area of 3 degees or so. Eyeball the toe, tighten everything down, and let the fools at the alignment shop back out the insane neg camber.

Perhaps posting to the tire and wheel forum may get you more advice as well.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:01 PM

I have had the same guy doing all the alignments except one. Like I said he had no difficulty getting it before but neither technician can get it now.

I was under the car this last time and it really did appear to be maxed out.

I think I will post to the Tire and Wheel forum also. I posted here because after a search most alignment topics with responses seem to come in the Uner the Hood section.

Thanx
Old 05-12-2003, 04:22 PM

Lower your car and you'll have plenty of camber.

I've got a set of HKS springs I can sell you, if you'd like
Old 05-12-2003, 04:47 PM

Well, although that sounds nice it is not the solution I had in mind.

When I lower it will be with a complete coil over system.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:46 PM

You can definately get plenty of neg. camber with a drop. I have KG/MM race springs and Koni yellows on the 2nd perch for 2 inches of drop, and I cannot get any lower than 2.6 on one side and 2.2 on the other of neg. camber. I really don't like all the neg. camber b/c I don't really drive spirited enough to make up for all the tire ware.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:36 AM

that is an excellent point - I do have CO's installed - although only the bare minimum drop (<1" front and rear), so that may lend to the ease by which I was able to get that much camber...
Old 05-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you know when the alignment machine was last calibrated? Maybe you should get a second opinion.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:15 PM

No, but I can check, but judging by handling the rear is definitely too loose so camber has to be too little.

The front is spot on so that kinda blows the calibration angle.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by David b
No, but I can check, but judging by handling the rear is definitely too loose so camber has to be too little.

The front is spot on so that kinda blows the calibration angle.
The rear could be loose for a number of reasons... too much camber in the front, rear toe out, tire pressure...

Quick Reply: I can't get much rear camber!