S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hydrolocked Engine in houston floods!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Cylinder head problems like burnt valves, and the like is fixable, rod knock is fixable, anything more than that and you might as well scrap the block, part out whatever is salvageable and use the money towards a used block. Sleeving these blocks is hard to do right and even then it will never last as well as OEM. You can only bore the cylinders a 1/4 of a millimeter, and you can only hone the block with rigid stone hone, this tool costs a pretty penny, not every machine shop has the required tools. Giving an engine a re-fresh is one thing, if I were you I'd just strip the block and sell whatever you can that's still in good shape. There's always a need for a matching set of cam caps, the crank and oil pan may still be good, maybe the head is still ok, the TCT, V-tec solenoid, the tensioner, oil pump, may still be ok. Did you crack the block?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Cylinder head problems like burnt valves, and the like is fixable, rod knock is fixable, anything more than that and you might as well scrap the block, part out whatever is salvageable and use the money towards a used block. Sleeving these blocks is hard to do right and even then it will never last as well as OEM. You can only bore the cylinders a 1/4 of a millimeter, and you can only hone the block with rigid stone hone, this tool costs a pretty penny, not every machine shop has the required tools. Giving an engine a re-fresh is one thing, if I were you I'd just strip the block and sell whatever you can that's still in good shape. There's always a need for a matching set of cam caps, the crank and oil pan may still be good, maybe the head is still ok, the TCT, V-tec solenoid, the tensioner, oil pump, may still be ok. Did you crack the block?
Not sure if the block is damaged. All that I'm going off of right now is what the guy told me. I was revving it pretty hard hoping it wouldn't stall and then it just stopped and he did say he found water in the cylinders. I'm pretty sure the crank made a few more rpms even though the pistons weren't moving. He said he try to get the crank moving with a big bar and it wouldn't move in either direction.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Sorry to hear this!

The car should have floated before water reached the intake. Or did you have a cold air intake near the pavement?

-- Chuck
Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 PM

Oh yeah that's a wrap for that engine.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:53 AM

I was getting a little excited about the thought of doing the work myself but you guys put a damper on that pretty quickly. The motor the guy said he will install for $4800 has 67,000 miles on it which is cool if its true. My car has 109,000 miles so guess I'll just consider it an upgrade. Hey I was checking around on prices for used motors and the cheapest I could find was $5100. I guess shops get one hell of a discount on shit right?
Old 04-21-2016, 03:02 AM

Look on eBay most motors are in the $3,000 range, $4,200 and it either has a transmission or it's an immaculate low mileage motor.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Slyym
I was getting a little excited about the thought of doing the work myself but you guys put a damper on that pretty quickly. The motor the guy said he will install for $4800 has 67,000 miles on it which is cool if its true. My car has 109,000 miles so guess I'll just consider it an upgrade. Hey I was checking around on prices for used motors and the cheapest I could find was $5100. I guess shops get one hell of a discount on shit right?
You can find them for cheaper, check out tae auto parts. As far as your mechanic, yeah, I thought that was a average price for motor and labor. Just be sure he/she knows the difference(s) and what to swap if the new motor is a 04-05 AP2 F22c. Hopefully he has a 06+ F22c for you.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by Slyym' timestamp='1461236008' post='23944402
You can find them for cheaper, check out tae auto parts. As far as your mechanic, yeah, I thought that was a average price for motor and labor. Just be sure he/she knows the difference(s) and what to swap if the new motor is a 04-05 AP2 F22c. Hopefully he has a 06+ F22c for you.
Yea he said it was an 07 motor. I'm going over there today to talk to him this afternoon.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:14 AM

i just went through a similar instance and i had my engine rebuilt, by a reputable engine builder in my area, total cost was around 4600 and i got to choose the parts / compression that went into my motor (also had it sleeved by benson)

i have had zero issues so as long as its a reputable place, dont be scared away, if you buy a used motor you are buying someones problems!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 AM

You never know, could have been some meticulous owner that got rear ended.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked Engine in houston floods!