S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hydrolock questions...

Old 11-13-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolock questions...

I have the AEM V2, and I've always heard that unless you completely submerge while on the throttle you won't have any issues. Regardless I've always been careful to park facing down hill if I was gonna be in rain... Well the one time I didn't park that way, it rained. When I started the motor, it sputtered bad and stalled. Now it won't crank at all.

What are the best things to look for to determine if it is truely hydrolocked? I started pulling valve cover off and started to go futher, but figured I would ask the experts first.

-C
Old 11-13-2005, 08:53 AM

Im not an expert so wait for others advice. But, when I had my prelude I was driving in HEAVY flooding rain. I got stuck in it. And my intake got really wet, it was soaked but not submerged. I felt no problems, stopped and went into a store, came back out, and the car wouldnt start. I thought I screwed the car up. But I waited like 30min for it to dry up a little, and it started right back up, never had any problems. So I doubt you will have problems.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Before you start tearing into your head, pull out all your spark plugs and shove a tube into each cylinder and suck out any water that may be in them. Pour a small amount of methyl hydrate into each hole, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine a few times to spit the methanol out and dry out the cylinders a bit. Put it all back together and try to start it. If it runs, keep your fingers crossed that you'll never see any further symptoms.
If you are truly worried about it, then go ahead and continue with what you're doing. However, unless you know what to look for, there's no point.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 13 2005, 10:24 AM
Before you start tearing into your head, pull out all your spark plugs and shove a tube into each cylinder and suck out any water that may be in them. Pour a small amount of methyl hydrate into each hole, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine a few times to spit the methanol out and dry out the cylinders a bit. Put it all back together and try to start it. If it runs, keep your fingers crossed that you'll never see any further symptoms.
If you are truly worried about it, then go ahead and continue with what you're doing. However, unless you know what to look for, there's no point.
good advice, was able to get it back running with some effort. It smoked white out of the exhaust like crazy for a bit. Running smooth as glass and not smoking after I ran it a bit. Debating a compression test just to give me some peace of mind, but otherwise all seems well.

*sigh* I was worried it was gonna get expensive!

-C
Old 11-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen to my old Del Sol a couple of years ago. I took off my intake, and sprayed some ether into the throttle boddy while my brother held down the gas pedal. He tried to crank it up and it finally did. I did have to get a new valve cover, plugs, wires, and miscellaneous other stuff but I did save the motor.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slowf20c,Nov 13 2005, 01:52 PM
was able to get it back running with some effort. It smoked white out of the exhaust like crazy for a bit. Running smooth as glass and not smoking after I ran it a bit. Debating a compression test just to give me some peace of mind, but otherwise all seems well.

*sigh* I was worried it was gonna get expensive!

-C
You may have lucked out ........................... or not.
I'll explain. Continuing to crank and try to start an engine that has clearly sucked in water is perhaps THE worst thing you can do. As it's trying to start, each "wet" cylinder is exposed to potentially extreme compression due to the pressence of water. What this extra compression does to things like rods and bearings and valves, etc, may not be known to you till something fails (if it ever fails).

Anyone who sucks in water should immediately try to get the water out before continuing to crank the engine till it fires. You may dry out one cylinder enough to fire but this may only force the other wet cylinders to compress against a resistance to which they were not designed.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:04 AM

If you want more info.... PM me...

it just happened to me ... awhile back..

now I have a 01 engine and transmission... the transmission is perfect.. but the engine has a bent rod on cyclinder 4... only a little... I drove on it a little... just did not have the power that it use to... it felt like 10 hp loss...and it smoked white a little

The only good thing that came out of this is that I did my first total engine transmission take out and install.... minus the AC stuff.....

I am now sporting a new 05 2.2 w/ transmission on my 01 ecu..

I love the 2.2 hands down.....
Old 11-14-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Customer of mine parked uphill in the snow. Snow melted, trickled into his AEM overnight. Started it in the AM, and broke a rod in 3 pieces. Hugh hole in the block to boot.

Rain when parked is the worst...it gives the intake time to fill up in the lower elbow. When in doubt, pull the plugs and crank it, expell the water.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

And here it is....why I love my Comptech

Old 01-19-2006, 12:51 AM

my friend is having some hydrolocking problems with his 02 and wanted to see if anyone can help.

what happened:
he has a aem cai and went through a puddle and his car basically died as soon as he hit the puddle. tried to restart it but it would turn over, just clicked once when you push the start button. had the car towed home and all the car does is click once when you push the start button.

today we took the plugs out and changed the oil. i removed the fuel pump fuse and tried to crank it, but all it still does is click (one click). can't really figure out if his engine is really gone or if it can be something else, but basically the car doesn't do anything except for making one click sound. doesn't turn over or even sound like its close to turning over. i also checked all teh fuses but none of them seem bad.

FYI: while changing the oil and removing the CAI I noticed about 3-4 teaspoons of water coming out of the CAI and some drops of water around the intake manifold. while changing the oil, about 3 teaspoons of water came out first and then oil.

Please let me know if there's anything else I should do or should he start looking for a used motor?

Quick Reply: Hydrolock questions...