S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hydrolock & Insurance.. any advice?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What you plan on doing if it's totaled??

Getting another s2k?!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally read all the comments, sorry to hear what happened. Hopefully insurance covers it but at the same time, doesn't make your car a total lost. It's a big chance that anything can happen. good luck man, wait til tuesday
Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
What you plan on doing if it's totaled??

Getting another s2k?!
Well I have another vehicle at the moment.. 08 BMW 335i.. but its definitely not practical for me right now.. im doing alot of driving and it gets very horrible gas mileage with the twin turbo's

Im not quite sure what im going to do honestly. I think im getting rid of both the vehicles at this point.. or keeping the BMW and finding another daily driver.. It's not easy finding a car that your completely happy with.. and I was completely happy with my s2k since I bought it in 2003.. but at the same time.. it is a very small car and not practical as a daily driver either.

So.. really I am just up in the air about it right now
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
So, how much time did elapse between the rain storm and the insurance claim?

I didn't claim it to the insurance until several months later, because I had no idea the vehicle would be covered.. I wasn't the one paying for the insurance , kinda let my mother take care of all that stuff.. and at the same time of the incident we were recovering from losing everything in a house fire.. It was just a big mess and took alot of spinning the wheels to get some action done with it... and so the engine situation in my s2000 wasn't the biggest thing going on.

I DID however file a police report the day after the incident because the vehicle was vandalized in the parking lot where it sat overnight.. and it has been secure at the Honda dealership ever since.

I read my policy from top to bottom.. doesn't say there is a time limit for making a claim.. it does say however there needs to be a police report within 24 hours.. which.. was done. Its all on paper.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by imtimduh
finally read all the comments, sorry to hear what happened. Hopefully insurance covers it but at the same time, doesn't make your car a total lost. It's a big chance that anything can happen. good luck man, wait til tuesday
thanks for reading

well even if they dont cover the engine.. the vandalization on the car might be quite a bit for them to pay out, im about to go to the dealership to look the car over again and take pictures of everything damaged . I took lots of pictures with the police officer, but i was working at the time and had to rush, the police officer made the report to list over $1500 in damages.. and that wasnt even all the damages.. im about to go and take detailed notes on it all

i mean for instance.. he wrote down headlight damage at estimated 2 dollars.. maybe thats just cause it needed to list somethin to raise the scale over 1500?? im not sure.. but we'll findout soon enough
Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM

UPDATE:

Insurance Rep. has visited Honda to take pictures look at damages.
They found that the spark-plugs had rust on them. There are also various other areas that are rusted. The Honda Tech said that what they found "corresponds" with a Hydrolocked engine. The rep said that all the information was submitted to his supervisor who will look it over and try to come to a conclusion if the water caused the damage..and that since it had been so long they couldnt tell for sure if it was water that caused the damage...since it woild have all evaporated by then..

In the mean-time while this has happened, I finally got the documentation from the original shop that the car was towed to the day after the incident.. their documentation says.. specifically.. " Engine locked due to water " .. they pulled the spark-plugs and found water inside the engine.... THATS on the paper.. so i called the insurance back and told them about the documentation that the shop found, and they said they will "pass" it along..

My question is.. if a mechanic looks at your engine... finds water inside of it.. SAYS that the engine is locked up due to water... how the heck do you dispute that??

No to mention that Honda said the exact same thing later.. without me giving them this knowledge AT ALL... coincidence ?

I dont think so, water locked the motor... now we will see if the insurance tries to screw me over or not
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What did they say about the vandalism damage??
Old 09-07-2011, 05:35 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

They are not screwing you over, you screwed yourself over if anything. Not claiming for 6 months is pretty irresponsible. Regardless, live and learn, eh? Good luck with this.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, let's not get mad at insurance just yet. They may come back and cover it all minus your deductible. You have to remember, people try to rip off insurance companies all the time so they have to be careful what they approve off.

Good luck with everything.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
They are not screwing you over, you screwed yourself over if anything. Not claiming for 6 months is pretty irresponsible. Regardless, live and learn, eh? Good luck with this.

I didn't learn of the water damage inside the engine until 6 months later. The first shop did not give me that information originally and it was only after questioning the findings of Honda that I heard the concept of "hydrolocking" .. having never heard of this, this was a new "discovery" so I made the claim right away after checking my policy for if it covered this incident. I contacted the original shop after this new discovery and their documentation claims to have pulled the spark plugs and find water in the engine.

I didn't claim for 6 months because I was saving up to pay for a new engine in my car that ive had since 2003.. based on state insurance laws that I have been researching... the statute of limitations is 2 years regarding this claim, and their are "discovery" issues involved. I am definitely under coverage in the situation.

thanks tho, its just a stressful situation

Quick Reply: Hydrolock & Insurance.. any advice?