S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hydrolock & Insurance.. any advice?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I had this happen, ins covered the 7k in repairs, the car was less than two years old. That was new short block, head reworked and hew headlights and bulbs. I only paid my comp deductible. Now your car is old, and it value is low compared to new, 7k + body work might be enough for them to total it. Be sure to let them know that this happened when you hit the high water. At least that is the way I read it.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
I had this happen, ins covered the 7k in repairs, the car was less than two years old. That was new short block, head reworked and hew headlights and bulbs. I only paid my comp deductible. Now your car is old, and it value is low compared to new, 7k + body work might be enough for them to total it. Be sure to let them know that this happened when you hit the high water. At least that is the way I read it.
Engine went out from the water

Got vandalized when he left the car at work, the night that it broke..

That's what I got from it..
Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RioS2k
What Insurance do you have?

I hydrolocked about 2 years ago during a storm and no questions asked my insurance paid for it. They did say something like 20 other vehicles had hydrolocked that night or were flood victims. Came to about $6000 for them for a new engine installed @ Honda.

USAA has always been great.
progressive
Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah, USAA is better than anything.

If you haven't experienced their service when you need it, you just don't know.

My first S got plowed into by a drugged driver in a big F150. Their insurance low-balled and wouldn't work with me, so USAA took care of it...a Progressive wouldn't do that as they are under no requirement to do so.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
If you're claiming all that, depending on the value of your car it'll probably just get totaled out..

7k plus another 2+k for paint and body work has to be close to 70% if it isn't over.. Hopefully whatever happens is in your best interest..

I mean thats what I am assuming is appropriate at this point, They are going to be spending 2-3k on body/paint work.. possibly more.. if u saw pictures u might know better.. i'll try to break down the damages that I noticed the day after (while with police officer)

Somehow it appears as if they kicked in the headlight and made it not sit properly..bent it somehow.. tried to pull it with something maybe? bent area around headlight.. the bulb also on that one is out..
The car has been "Keyed" on both sides the length of the car nearly... BOTH doors looks as if they hit them with a hammer.. massively denting them in from the top.. drivers side window is busted out.
There are pretty deep gashes in the door paneling on the inside of the drivers side door.. possibly from whatever object made it through the window .. the passenger side door lock dropped inside the door.. doesnt function anymore, its just an empty keyhole.. they tried to get cd player out it appears, just see bend marks around player.. tried to get into console that was locked, see multiple deep scratches above and below console.. several other marks in dash area/door/driver seat.

somethn tells me thats not gonna be a cheap fix.. :\
Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Atleast they didn't steal the seats, car would be totaled for sure..

But I'm thinking it's already over 70% for sure..
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKs2000kid
Originally Posted by 07RioS2k' timestamp='1314978768' post='20938363

I hydrolocked about 2 years ago during a storm and no questions asked my insurance paid for it. They did say something like 20 other vehicles had hydrolocked that night or were flood victims. Came to about $6000 for them for a new engine installed @ Honda.

progressive
Ahh...I"ve got Progressive as well. I hydrolocked my GS-R about 3yrs ago, but I sold it before I realized that insurance could take care of it!!!

When I spoke with Progressive later about it, they told me that while they will investigate each case, hydrolocking is generally covered.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by BLACKs2000kid' timestamp='1315007862' post='20939923
[quote name='07RioS2k' timestamp='1314978768' post='20938363']

progressive
Ahh...I"ve got Progressive as well. I hydrolocked my GS-R about 3yrs ago, but I sold it before I realized that insurance could take care of it!!!

When I spoke with Progressive later about it, they told me that while they will investigate each case, hydrolocking is generally covered.
[/quote]

Good to hear, I have just been concerned with the length in time since incident.. but i feel like if its been safe and secure AT the Honda dealer this entire time..it shouldn't matter. I didn't know my policy covered it..once I realized that it might.. thats when I claimed.. Im just hoping whoever they send knows how engines work, cause its bound to have obvious hydrolock damage, as well as the tech explaining that to be his finding...
When she asked me why it had be so long to make the claim, almost attacking sounding with it.. I just told her straight up.. "look... I've been trying to figure out how i am going to deal with this and never had the knowledge of this kind of thing.. and I feel like I should be covered"

she just said she can't tell me if i can be covered or not, and that they do not cover mechanical issues and was just kinda negative about the whole story that I told her.. which was certainly not comforting...but she did say its the field rep. who will determine if its covered.. so im sure she was just doin her job i guess.. oh well.. I think i should be okay from the evidence.

the Honda dealer said themselves that it wasn't due to over-revving .. and that usually that kinda damage is pretty rare otherwise..and they feel pretty solid about the Hydrolock issue.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
Atleast they didn't steal the seats, car would be totaled for sure..

But I'm thinking it's already over 70% for sure..

i'll def be checking in about it as the process unfolds.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, how much time did elapse between the rain storm and the insurance claim?

Quick Reply: Hydrolock & Insurance.. any advice?