S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hydrolock with cai

Old 08-04-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good enough for me. ill take your word for it. but i dont have one of those thingys you said on my intake
Old 08-05-2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by David b,Aug 4 2005, 10:14 PM
How in the world can water get all the way up into the engine from the filter location way down and over there?

I can understand a little water vapor or spray when it is running but that doesn't amount to any more than a water injection unit.

Have you computed how much suction it would take to pull a 3" column of water up that far? I am not sure a car engine can generate that much suction.

I don't remember where I read it, but on a Q&A in one of the car mags that question was asked and they computed the suction it would take and said that was just one of those old wives tales. They said it wouldn't hurt to take precautions but came up to the conclusion that if you had the engine running and totally submerged the intake pipe it would actually cause the engine to stop running long before the water could reach that high.

I do see where it could wash the oil off the filter and cause it to quit filtering the smaller stuff so that would be potentially bad, but I have had mine on my 02 for a couple of years now and even tho I have opened up my brake ducts so it is easier for water to reach the filter I can't see where I've gotten enough water on the filter to wash even parts of it clean. I have never had a problem and I haven't even seen any water stains on my filter and that includes driving in some pretty heavy rains.

Now I do have the little "relief valve" inline with mine. Supposedly it ensures that if the filter ever does get plugged, such as going under water, that it draws air in from that rather than pulling water up the tube, but actually all it ensures is that I mix some hot underhood air with the cold air from the front of the car.
So did someone explain the fact that people have hydrolocked their engines? I.E. they've had to remove the plugs, crank the engine, and get the water out of the cylinders? It's been pretty shown that people have filled their engines with water, I'd like to know how if the engine doesn't produce enough vacuum to move enough water to damage the engine?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Trust me....the engine has more than enough power to suck in a few tablespoons of water standing in the intake.

I'll post the pic of the 3-piece connecting rod if you like
Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my last car I locked up the engine from my
AEM... I was idling throught a 2" gudder from one street to the next
I just finished wasting and waxing my car... I never jut through water

The Engine stalled and would not do anything...2 day to tear the top of the engine off
... pull the plug....sooo bad I had to use the shop vac to get it out

AEM sux water.... I also read here, the relief valve is to loose any gains.

go with the K&N fipk.... I did.... works great.... with out the worry of hydro-lock

AS FOR NO RAIN in California....... Hello we just had the 2nd wetest season in record
keeping in California for Los Angeles county... Orange county even MORE rain
Old 08-05-2005, 10:32 AM

I have been in contact with an INJEN rep. I have the INJEN RS CAI on my car. I have plugged the drain holes on the passenger side, created an "umbrella" for the filter out of a gallon jug (PVC one to come.....hoprfully this weekend....will post DIY), and I have installed an AEM bypass valve (near the manifold). I think it will be basically impossible to hydrolock my car, with the exception of driving it into a LAKE!

The INJEN rep said it would take 1 litre of water DIRECTLY into the manifold to hydrolock this engine....people who have hydrolocked were probably driving through some insane puddle. I have heard of it happening in automatic car washes....but that is because 100's of gallons are being dumped on the car, and if the drain holes arent plugged, the filter will get SOAKED!

Just my $.02

John
Old 08-05-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Aug 5 2005, 02:32 PM

The INJEN rep said it would take 1 litre of water DIRECTLY into the manifold to hydrolock this engine....people who have hydrolocked were probably driving through some insane puddle.
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this forum. I post first hand experience, only to be ignored by someone who doesn't know a dam thing.

My last customer hydrolocked his car from 1 inch of snow on the hood that fell overnight. The snow melted, tricked into the filter. He was out driving under a clear sky the previous night. He parked the car in the driveway, and went to bed.

He started the car up in the AM...it reved to about 2k as normal, within 3 seconds it went bang. He didn't drive through a puddle, he didn't drive it anywhere.

Your Injen rep can kiss my ass. This is first hand experience bro, not what I've read or heard like some of the assclowns on this board.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'd probably take as little as 30-50 mL of water to do some damage.

I'd take bill's word for it being that he's replaced a few engines from the car just sitting out in the rain.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm going to lock this before more rumors and outright incorrect information get posted.

billman has been completely right in his posts. as has koala.

it only takes maybe a couple hundred CCs (cubic centimeters) of water to hydrolock an engine, including ours. water doesn't compress. at all. get as little as say half a cup worth or maybe even less into a cylinder, and you're probably screwed.

a cylinder only displaces .5 liters of air per stroke. so to say it takes a full 1 liter to hydrolock this engine makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. whoever told you that has no idea.

and these cars create enough suction to pull up water EASILY if the filter is completely submerged. most cars do. it doesn't even take total submersion. some water resting in the elbow is enough to do it. at WOT higher rpm this car can move almost 300 CFM through the intake.