S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hydrolock with cai

Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydrolock with cai

so i heard water can run down into your filter while the car is parked. Is that the same with the 05 models too. if so is there nething you can do other then putting a byspass valve
Old 08-04-2005, 11:41 AM

yeah if someone sticks a waterhose down there and sprays directly into the filter you live down in so cal, its highly unlikely water will get in there while your car is parked.

where did you hear about these problems?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by stooken,Aug 4 2005, 11:41 AM
yeah if someone sticks a waterhose down there and sprays directly into the filter you live down in so cal, its highly unlikely water will get in there while your car is parked.

where did you hear about these problems?
someone in another forum told me about it. He said that a couple cars were parked and water ran down to the filter and it just f*cked thier car up.

i didnt think this would happen in socal either till he told me that. and so now i guess people are using umbrellas for over their filters??? i dunno
Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 AM

There is a rain groove in the hood that channels water down to the air filter. The problem is with the V2 as it has no way for the water to come out because of it's design. The whole is about the size of a dime. You can either block that hole or build an umbrella for the air intake.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM

but i dont have a v2. i have regular cai. same thing?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue with either version.

Just plug up the drainage holes above the filter and it's not a big deal. I didn't take any precautions on my '01 S2000 and it was fine for a year with a CAI. On my '04 I did plug up a few of the drainage holes "just in case."
Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by stooken,Aug 4 2005, 03:41 PM
you live down in so cal, its highly unlikely water will get in there while your car is parked.
They don't get rain in SoCal?

You can easily spit a connecting rod through the engine, just by sitting over night in the rain.

Ask Elroy303....I just put an engine in his car for sitting overnight in the rain with an AEM intake.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the AEM intakes lower arm where the filter is tends to angle upward, which causes the rain to collect.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:21 PM

ive had several 1.8t and 2.0 jettas come in to work that have caithat go down into the bumper and sucked up water during monsoon season(right now).

it usually bends rod.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How in the world can water get all the way up into the engine from the filter location way down and over there?

I can understand a little water vapor or spray when it is running but that doesn't amount to any more than a water injection unit.

Have you computed how much suction it would take to pull a 3" column of water up that far? I am not sure a car engine can generate that much suction.

I don't remember where I read it, but on a Q&A in one of the car mags that question was asked and they computed the suction it would take and said that was just one of those old wives tales. They said it wouldn't hurt to take precautions but came up to the conclusion that if you had the engine running and totally submerged the intake pipe it would actually cause the engine to stop running long before the water could reach that high.

I do see where it could wash the oil off the filter and cause it to quit filtering the smaller stuff so that would be potentially bad, but I have had mine on my 02 for a couple of years now and even tho I have opened up my brake ducts so it is easier for water to reach the filter I can't see where I've gotten enough water on the filter to wash even parts of it clean. I have never had a problem and I haven't even seen any water stains on my filter and that includes driving in some pretty heavy rains.

Now I do have the little "relief valve" inline with mine. Supposedly it ensures that if the filter ever does get plugged, such as going under water, that it draws air in from that rather than pulling water up the tube, but actually all it ensures is that I mix some hot underhood air with the cold air from the front of the car.

Quick Reply: hydrolock with cai