S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

hydrolock

Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile hydrolock

hi my name is chris and i am new here i own an 07 euro spec s2000 rhd with dbw f20c engine i have an injen cai and while i was driving the car shut off i try like an idiot to restart it and i thing i have bended rods what else should i worry about? should i check the head for any cracks around the valves? please help i live in cyprus and parts are to expensive for s2ks thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Did the car shut after u made it swim?

To check the rods you will have to undo your crank.

But I would reccomend to undo the head to have preventive inspection and cleaning (water may be in the head area too)

If you will keep the cai setup, you should consider a AEM cai bypass.
http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htmAEM bypass
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Open the TB, remove part of the CAI pipe and let the water drip out.
2. Remove all coilpacks and plugs, and open the bonnet
3. Crank the engine a few times maybe 2 to 3 times

^ Its likely at this point it will shoot out of the holes at a very high pressure.

Hopefully now put all back together cleaning plugs+coilpacks etc and clean plugs. Change the oil and oil filter with crap'ish oil and run for say 10 miles. Now then change oil filter and oil again this time with good stuff hopefully your good to go.

Hopefully you aint bent the rods.

Good luck

HTH

AJ
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The question is did you...hit the water at speed/hyrolock at speed? and also did you try and crank it many times?

If you didnt hit the water ie go through at highspeed and didnt try to crank it lots of times you would probably be okay and less like fecckk the conrods.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

I did that to the first honda I ever owned... A 98 Civic. Ironic part was that I was taking a different route home on a rainy FL day to try to avoid doing exactly what I did... After shooting water out of the spark plug holes like a fountain in front of an office building I started it up... Made the worse noises (lots of metal on metal ticking and clanking really loud) I had ever heard, but it still idled... Until I tried to move it. That's when one of the rods shot through the side of the block... Even worse noise... But the ****er would still start and run (sorta)! Not ganna go anywhere with a massive hole in the block though.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the noob thing you can do when you encounter a water shut off situation is by cranking the motor right after it happens.

there's a very high chance that there's still water in the cylinder and by starting up the car you are trying to compress water(which is near impossible unless you live under the pacific ocean) when you try to displace an unmoveable object, the weakest link will fail. those tense to be valves, pistol rod, etc

if you haven't done anything yet, you should take a good inspection of the cylinder before any more start up attempt.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:26 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Irvatron,Jan 26 2010, 04:02 PM
1. Open the TB, remove part of the CAI pipe and let the water drip out.
2. Remove all coilpacks and plugs, and open the bonnet
3. Crank the engine a few times maybe 2 to 3 times

^ Its likely at this point it will shoot out of the holes at a very high pressure.

Hopefully now put all back together cleaning plugs+coilpacks etc and clean plugs. Change the oil and oil filter with crap'ish oil and run for say 10 miles. Now then change oil filter and oil again this time with good stuff hopefully your good to go.

Hopefully you aint bent the rods.

Good luck

HTH

AJ
This is the best advice you will get.

I had a customer hydrolock an s2k. He basically drove it through 2 feet of water.

Pulled the plugs, spun the motor over for 20 revolutions, all the water spit out.

Blow dry plugs, put it back together, ran a little rough.

One more time, pull plugs, spin motor, clean plugs and try again. Car runs like new, and that was two years ago. Car is fine.

The key is do this NOW. The longer you wait, the longer the water will have a chance to cause rust on the rings and valves.

Once you get it running, keep it running. Drive it around for 1/2 or so.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 AM

Don't forget to change the oil before trying to run it as well...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM

Is it easy to hydrolock an s2k? I recently came back to this forum and I've noticed posts like this in the past. If so, is there any way to prevent this? Or should one just not drive in the rain
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only if you have some sort of cold air intake and either literally drive into the water, or you removed enough splashshields under the car to allow the filter o be soaked.

Quick Reply: hydrolock