S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

humming sound

Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming sound

Hello s2ki members,

I recently purchased an ap1 gpw, so im still unfamiliar with certain things...
Anyways, I keep hearing this "humming" sound coming from the front (I think)...
I came from an evo, so I know what a fuel pump sounds like. This humming sound sounds exactly like my walbro I used to have... but I took it to the honda dealer to make sure if it's an aftermarket or not, but they can't tell without taking it apart.
I just wanted to know if this sound is normal or it's an aftermarket fuel pump that I have...or could it be something else? I asked the previous owner and he said he noticed that too... so that means that it was not boosted. It doesn't bother me during day time, but when is quiet at night time I could definitely hear it. Can I see if it's an aftermarket fuel pump without taking parts out?

The honda tech first thought it was the fuel pump, but then he said it was the alternator... but when I did the smog with him on the same day, he said it might be the fuel pump... so im kinda lost. Also, the sound seems to be coming from the rear when I put my ear near the rear tires... so maybe differential???
I js wanna know so I dont have serious damage in the future...

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Leo
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM

Forgot to ask this too...
The car came with AP2 intake... is that why a CEL popped out?? It was fine until I had to replace some parts to pass the visual smog (there were some hoses loose)...
I guess too many sensors???

The CEL popped out because of "upstream flow something something"... I dont remember exactly what the reader said...

Thanks again
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the humming sound too, and it's from the top of the intake box that mine didn't come from. I don't really know what to tell you about your CEL though. Sorry!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 PM

its from the intake. u can hear the same thing with stock intake with lid off.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 PM

So it's a not big issue??

How do I get rid of it?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by CabronJames6
So it's a not big issue??

How do I get rid of it?
put a bloody lid on it! A lot of people leave it off anyway, lets you hear the nice VTEC pop, apprently you can lose power due to heat issues..
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your CEL pulled. Its rather simple and any Autozone will do it for free. I'll bet anything that you're going to pull a P0-411 code which is the secondary air injection system. You say that "hoses" are loose which are probably the hoses dealing with that system. It'll throw a CEL in a heart beat if those hoses aren't plugged in or routed correctly. Run a search on here and you'll find plenty of info on it. As for the humming, almost every S does it. High compression engine pulling a lot of air at idle is bound to make some noise . I'd stay away from the dealership with this car. The tech's there are used to working on Civics and Accords and have no clue when it comes to an S. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 PM

I do have a lid on

s2klariat,
Im gonna check, but I'm pretty sure there would be no hoses loose because the only reason why I failed the smog was the visual test. Unless they (honda dealer) just put it, so I would pass. Btw, I only let this japanese guy touch the car... my friend said I could trust him.

As long as this noise is normal that's fine with me... it's just that my friend used to have an ap1 and he said mine was kinda loud.

About the CEL, I'm just gonna buy an aftermarket intake or ap1's... that would fix the problem, right?

Thanks for the help btw
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you have an Ap2 intake then I'm pretty sure it isn't going to have the hose connections that an Ap1 would require for the secondary air injection system. I may have read it wrong but I thought you had mentioned some loose hoses. If the hoses having to do with the secondary air injection system aren't connected or if they aren't routed the correct way it will give you a cel.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by s2klariat
Well, if you have an Ap2 intake then I'm pretty sure it isn't going to have the hose connections that an Ap1 would require for the secondary air injection system. I may have read it wrong but I thought you had mentioned some loose hoses. If the hoses having to do with the secondary air injection system aren't connected or if they aren't routed the correct way it will give you a cel.

Thanks for the help!

Btw, I just want to make sure...
I know you said every S has that humming sound. But for my car, the humming sound goes up and down in terms of sound level...
sometimes I hear it getting a bit LOUDER then goes back down... like when the engine is cooling off on idle. That's normal, right?

Quick Reply: humming sound