S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

humming sound.....

Old 12-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh by the way before thw whinning came out i had my car wheel aligned and got the steering wheel centered. thanks could it be wheel bearing or differential or tranny??? if its differential what do i have to replace is it the whole differential or could i just buy a cusco/j's racing/ spoon LSD?? will it solve the problem?? thanks so much guys!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:26 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's a suggestion: Jack the rear end up (put a jack under the pumpkin and put some jack stands under the control arms to straighten out the axles). Start the car and put it in 2nd or 3rd gear. Then you can get out and listen for the noise while the wheels are turning.

I did this with my kid's Jetta this summer. It became apparent that he had a bad wheel bearing. When the car is jacked up like this, it eliminates road and tire noise so you can easily pinpoint the problem.

Be careful putting the control arms on jacks. You don't want to break a control arm. But you don't want to have the car running in gear with the wheels just hanging down either.

And while you have the wheels suspended, check the play in your bearings.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Dec 24 2007, 07:26 AM
Here's a suggestion: Jack the rear end up (put a jack under the pumpkin and put some jack stands under the control arms to straighten out the axles). Start the car and put it in 2nd or 3rd gear. Then you can get out and listen for the noise while the wheels are turning.

I did this with my kid's Jetta this summer. It became apparent that he had a bad wheel bearing. When the car is jacked up like this, it eliminates road and tire noise so you can easily pinpoint the problem.

Be careful putting the control arms on jacks. You don't want to break a control arm. But you don't want to have the car running in gear with the wheels just hanging down either.

you think its only a bad wheel bearing???? i wish its only a bad wheel bearing.. thanks for your advice ill will try it for sure!!! i cant stop worrying about the humming sound..... thanks thanks!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Dec 24 2007, 07:26 AM

oh by the way we have lifters on the shop how do i do it on lifters????? thanks!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not suggesting that it's a wheel bearing, but you can't rule it out yet, either. Once the car is in the air and the wheels are spinning, you can pinpoint the source of the noise.

I'm not sure how to do this with lifters, but try to get it jacked up in a way that you don't have the axles just hanging when the wheels are spinning. And don't run the wheels very fast when suspended, either.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 AM

thanks so much!!! ill do this for sure after xmas!! il be doin this by the 26 of december!!! then ill get back to you!! thanks so much!!!! ill try to find out on how we can do it on a lifter!!! thanks!!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

if you're getting the humming in neutral..it probably is not the transmission.

at this point i'm going to say diff.

you still need to find out what the weight of the diff oil was used...in any event, i would put in le-607 right away.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 AM

LE 607 what brand of oil is this?? can i get the full spcec or info so i know what oil to oredr... thanks guys!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by pinoyk20,Dec 23 2007, 07:09 AM
could it e the transmission or the differential ... the thing is ican hear the sound coming from the trnny.. not from the differentialll but what im wondering is that when ever i put th car in neutral and let it roll i can still here the sound getting lower while slowing down... but i dont hear it from the rear... its coming from the center of the car............ thanks!!!
remove the shifter knob, both shift boots, reinstall the knob and take a spin. if it's the trans you will then know it.

good luck.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by PWRMKR,Dec 26 2007, 05:52 AM
remove the shifter knob, both shift boots, reinstall the knob and take a spin. if it's the trans you will then know it.

good luck.
ho pwrmkr soory how do i do it??? im really sorry sir but i cant understand how you want me to do it?? thanks so much!!!

Quick Reply: humming sound.....