S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

humming noise from intake

Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

djkojione,
I like your idea of supplying cool air from the fender side into a modified stock airbox.
I like the idea because I think that the growl of the manifold pressure would be absorbed by the resonant chambers of the stock box, and outside of cutting the right false inlet at the bumper, carving body parts would be kept to a minimum - AND hydrolock could be avoided because of the indirect airflow.
I think that with a K&N drop-in filter, and a redirected cool air from the right fender cavity, that cold air introduction would be enhanced.
One more modification of the intake that I've given thought to is the cut-off of coolant fluid to the intake manifold, and isolation of head temps to the intake manifold - like Hondata's isolation gasket.
Word?

CB
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 AM

Actually. if you ran without the lid on your stock air box, with no other modifications, you get this hum. I have a FIPK and get the hum.

I like hummers...

alot...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hum on stock intake, stock air box. Always assumed it was normal.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread was a year old
Old 01-27-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jan 27 2006, 09:36 AM
this thread was a year old
And I'll bet all those "hums" are still present and no S2000 exploded in the meantime because of it.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:09 AM

I wouldn't complain about a hummer. However, if the engine is making a noise, I might be concerned.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xviper,Feb 6 2005, 12:19 AM
Every intake has its own distinctive sound and harmonics. You just changed the way the airbox controls this sound. This should come as no surprise to you.
exactly...I once cut the baffel while running a spoon snorkel and that was the outcome also
Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the snorkel and a green filter on my car for 3 months and never had the hum. Last night when I started the car, I had the hum. It was very pronounced. I pulled the intake tube off and put my finger of the IAC hole and it went away, just like the original poster.

So, this seems odd to me, since it never did it before. I haven't changed anything on the car since the snorkel install. I wonder if there is something funny with the IAC.

Like I said, it did NOT do it for 3 months after the snorkel and filter install. This means one day it wasn't there, and with no further modification to the intake, one day it was there.

I am going to remove my IAC and clean it, to make sure I don't have any build up of any kind. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 AM

Default humming noise

Sorry to op en this old one,
Have the humming too; louder when the cover is off, very loud if the intake filter is removed,
There is a youtube clip of this thing

did anyone ever solved this?

I compared with friend S2000, no humming at all
I read about air pump, but air pump is only operating on a cold engine
humming starts when engine is warm and at idle....
anyone?
Old 08-08-2021, 02:08 PM

I know this post is 16 years old but I didnt want to make a new post. I recently bought an S2k and had this same humming which landed me on this post after doing a google search. Even after reading all the "thats normal" posts I still didn't feel the humming was normal so i did more research. Well to make a long story short, I was able to get the humming noise to go away by adjust the idle screw on the throttle body, in case anyone else wants that humming at idle to go away.

Quick Reply: humming noise from intake