S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how to use oem alarm system

Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to use oem alarm system

i purchased an 01 a couple of months ago and i think it came with an oem alarm because i saw the box under the driver seat while putting on the new top. didn't come with a manual or anything.

the horn chirp when i hit the lock button twice. does that mean the alarm is armed. the led light on the arm rest never comes on, not sure if the light is broke or what but it is plugged in. also, what's the little button under the steering wheel for, around the left knee area. when i arm the alarm (i think) it doesn't go off when i kick the car or open the door. i turn the sensitivity to hight and it doesn't do anything.

thanks,
Old 07-11-2007, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car's horn chirps when I hit the lock button twice and I don't have teh OEM alarm system at all.

Sounds like you might not have one either.

If you do get a security system of some kind, steer away from the ones that don't do anything but make noise.

If you have a noisemaker alarm, think about it: A thief opens your car door and the alarm goes off. Now what's supposed to happen? The thief runs away? Bystanders call the police? Come back to reality. Those things don't happen.

Noisemaker alarms don't scare away thieves. Thieves can steal the car while it's blaring away and if anyone looks at them funny, they can just shrug and look embarassed and fumble for keys and nobody will challenge them or call the police. Usually he's got the door open already rather than having just bumped the car, and that's what set the alarm off. If people see him with the door open, they assume he has keys and is about to turn the alarm off and ignore him.

Noisemaker alarms don't cause total strangers to call the police for you. Think of all the times you've heard car alarms go off. Now think of how many times you've ever thought to yourself "Oh my god! Someone's stealing that car! I'd better call 911!" compared to the number of times you've thought "I wish that idiot would notice and turn his alarm off"

Noisemaker alarms don't make friends with the neighbors. Instead of getting your neighbors on your side, making them call the police for you if your alarm goes off, your neighbors are sick and tired of hearing the alarm goes off. Chances are if they finally do notice a stranger trying to steal the car, they'll help him by ignoring him so that he'll *take that damned alarm away*!

Noisemaker alarms do tell thieves how much attention you're NOT paying to your car. If they bump your car you don't disarm the alarm immedately, they know nobody's listening. They can pop the door, pop the hood, cut the wires to the alarm horn and leave.

Get something that disables the starter or directly alerts you that your car is being messed with. The new LoJack systems will email/page/text you if your car moves and your keychain isn't in it, then you can call the police and they can track it immediately. All without pissing off your neighbors.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM

i'm pretty sure that the car came with an oem alarm because i have LED light on the center console, button under the steering wheel and a black box under the driver seat. i don't think an alarm that just make noise is useless. i'm only worry about people breaking in and vandalizing. they're usually kids and any kind of noise that gets attention is going to scare them away. you can't steal an S unless you tow it away.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Krenath - it appears you've convinced yourself a car alarm is worthless, however you give no statistical data to back up your opinions. Here are some obvious points that you do not address:

I'd expect that before a thief starts breaking into the car, he'd check it out first. Since most alarms have proximity sensors, the thief would know well before he touched the car if it had an alarm. That won't stop a real pro, but the probability of a successful theft is definitely reduced.

I have a battery backup on my alarm. That means that you can cut every wire you can find, and it won't disarm the alarm. They would have to locate the horn, unbolt it from the car and destroy it. Again, the probablility of a successful theft is reduced even more.

Some of us have remote pagers that go off when their alarm is activated. If I'm within a few blocks of my car, I'd know if the alarm is going off.

The alarm isn't just to prevent theft of the entire vehicle. Lots of people on this site without alarms have had their seats stolen (along with other items - wheels, stereo, personal stuff, etc.). Have you really convinced yourself that the probablility of having your seats stolen doesn't change by having a car alarm?

My auto insurance is reduced because I have an alarm on my car.

Hondaf1: From your description, it sounds as if you do have an alarm system, however it appears to be disabled. The fuse may be removed or blown, or the entire unit may have been disabled somehow. Try checking out the power to the box under your seat. If no power is getting to the unit, you need to do some more digging.

Some alarms have that button you mention that can put the alarm into different modes, and possibly turn it off. For example, you can put the car into "valet mode" so the car alarm doesn't go crazy when you give your keys to a valet. To figure out if that's your problem, you will need to identify the manufacturer of the alarm system.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 AM

^ i'm pretty sure the alarm is a factory unit, if there is such a thing from honda. all plugs looks factory and even the remote is factory. that's why i thought someone on here with factory OEM alarm might show me some basic functions. it seems that i can't activate it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slalom those are good points. My insurance company and I think most of them give discounts for having an alarm system.

A lot of the alarm systems have a starter kill that will disable the car from being started no matter what.

I would rather have the noise than none at all. Most neighbors only get pissed when the alarm keeps going off even if the wind blows too hard. If you have a good alarm that doesn't give off false alarms the neighbors could probably care less and be more apt to look when the alarm does go crazy.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Arm it with the windows down, now wait 1min. Reach inside and open the door without using the remote to unlock it. If the alarm goes off then it only has a door trigger alarm and no "shock" type alarm. If none of these work then you just have a "keyless" entry system w/no alarm.

BTW, if you are talking about a "valet" button(black or dark gray push button), it seems like the previous owner put an aftermarket but didnt give you the aftermarket remote with the car. IMO, get a new one installed before you find out your car is missing.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 AM

so, there's no such thing as a oem honda alarm? the button didn't look after market because it's reset mounted, looks oem. and all plugs looks oem. i think it's more than a door switch trigger alarm because there's an adjustment knob on the box under the driver seat for sensitivity. i guess when i tested it, i didn't let it sit for 1 min after arming it. i'll try it again tonight and take some pics.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do in fact have the OEM alarm. i have it too. black box attached to the driver seat, button under the dash.

like some have said, its only a door trigger alarm.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Your key FOB should have the word option on the trunk opener button if it is an alarm remote. If the FOB has an image of a trunk opening it is just the keyless entry remote and will not set the alarm for you. Check with Honda to see if you can get new FOBs if that is the case. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: how to use oem alarm system