S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to tell if my Steering Rack was replaced / Steering play

Old 07-18-2003, 07:06 AM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if my Steering Rack was replaced / Steering play

After an accident my car's went thru some serious collision repairs. The shop that did the work supposedly replaced the steering rack - that's what they say and it shows on papers. Now, since then the steering wheel has had some play (driving around 40mph in 2nd i can move the steering wheel left right to quite an extent without any movement in the tires) and I had another shop look at the car that tells me the steering rack was never replaced and needs to be replaced because it has some damage (bent, i guess?). I was wondering if there's an easy way for me to confirm this one way or the other.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:42 AM

the play issue probably wont tell you if something is wrong. the easiest way to check if you rack is bent or the gears inside are damaged is to some u-turns or figure 8's in the parking lot. Basically turn 180 degrees and then let the car/steering straighten itself out. Have your fingers slightly on the wheel to feel for notchiness. If it jerks as it straightens out, then some gears are damaged in the rack. If you can jack up the front end of your car, physically move the wheels left and right with your hands to see how smoothly the wheels turn, again check for notchiness.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:02 PM
mas

Originally posted by vapors2k
the play issue probably wont tell you if something is wrong. the easiest way to check if you rack is bent or the gears inside are damaged is to some u-turns or figure 8's in the parking lot. Basically turn 180 degrees and then let the car/steering straighten itself out. Have your fingers slightly on the wheel to feel for notchiness. If it jerks as it straightens out, then some gears are damaged in the rack. If you can jack up the front end of your car, physically move the wheels left and right with your hands to see how smoothly the wheels turn, again check for notchiness.
Thanks for the reply!

I have since done some testing. I jacked up the front wheels one by one and do not feel any play (left/right). The other wheels starts moving as well so it's kind of hard to tell but no notchiness or jerks.

I've also noticed that on smooth straight roads I cannot feel this play. The play I'm talking about is more of a feeling that the steering is not precise. The easiest way to duplicate this is while going thru a long curve, I have to keep correcting the steering even though the turning radius is constant. I can feel a disconnect between the steering and the wheels, like I can move the steering with no affect on the wheels.

Another way to duplicate this is at high RPMs, eg. 5000 RPM in 2nd gear. Keep the throttle steady and move the steering slightly left right and you can feel the "jerk" or disconnect like the wheels have moved but you did not feel it thru the steering.

I will try the figure 8 thing later today.

Thanks!