S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how to store your S?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1412779411' post='23361287

The problem with changing before storage... I have other things to do and I would need to change it at a time I could burn off moisture before putting it away. If I do that, that generally means I will drive it many more times before salt is put on the ground and now I'm right back to where I was.

Never had my motor eaten away from the inside out. I also store it with E85 for that same 6 months... As well as 2 other cars.
You'd be ok with old oil, left in the car. IMHO, it won't deteriorate as much standing there; than if it were in a driven car for 6 months. I make a list of stuff on a piece of paper and leave it on the driver's seat. That way, you'll know what was done and needs to be done in Spring. Just a thought.
I use a program on my computer to track all my cars. When you accumulate a lot of cars, you tend to forget stuff.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Great advice. Picking up one of those battery chargers and a small air compressor
Old 10-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To prevent flat spots on your tires you could purchase flat stoppers which are hard rubber or plastic that are in the shape of a tire that you place under each tire, this provides a larger area for the distribution the weight of the vehicle over the tire.

Another storage item is a car jacket, this is a car cover that the vehicle is driven onto and then is zipped up and over the vehicle, desiccant material can be added to absorb moisture during the storage period. Great item if you have to contend with rodent in your storage area.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Originally Posted by windhund116
Don't you think it would be better to raise the car up on jack stands? Anyhoo... prolly not going to cause much flat-spotting in the few months of winter. No?
No on the jack stands. Can cause suspension problems. Generally if tires sit long enough to develop flat spots that won't quickly go away just driving on them a little, they've also sat long enough to dry rot and crack. If they flat spot, they are probably no good anyway. Leave the car sitting on the tires.

Overinflating is not a ad idea, but imo is not at all necessary for such a short sit.

Hey question on that. Why would it exactly be bad for the suspension? I would rather throw it up on stands, so mice have a harder time, plus in the spring I can then do all my fluid changes easy. Before I store it, I'm going to put silicone grease on all the rubber boots, so they don't crack. Will this be okay?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Guys I have a question. I'm gona buy the battery tender jr. But I don't Wana leave it working all winter because I read some reviews on amazon about battery boiling and over charging. Would it be ok to leave the battery disconnected and every week or 2 use the tender for a few hours and repeat all winter ?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
Guys I have a question. I'm gona buy the battery tender jr. But I don't Wana leave it working all winter because I read some reviews on amazon about battery boiling and over charging. Would it be ok to leave the battery disconnected and every week or 2 use the tender for a few hours and repeat all winter ?
I do this with a (non-jr verison) Battery Tender when it gets really cold and I haven't drive the car for over a week. I usually have to leave it connected overnight to fully charge, but I've had no issues whatsoever. I imagine the Jr is similar.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 PM

My question pertains more to not driving all winter. My turbo civic I used to just start it all winter ever other week or so. Let it run for 10 mins and shut it off. Did it like that for years but after reading here seems to be a No no. Basically I wana disconnect my terminals and use the alligator clip to charge the battery for a few hours every other week or so instead of starting the car. I just don't trust leaving the tender connected all winter long after reading some of the negative reviews
Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO

Never had my motor eaten away from the inside out. I also store it with E85 for that same 6 months... As well as 2 other cars.
Is that the only negative result of leaving old oil sitting in an engine?

In this thread it was mentioned its not a good idea to start the engine to let it warm up for 10 min every week during storage (I was one of the ones that said this. Yet lots of people have done that, and I bet most of them could say '...and I never had any problems'. Does that mean its a good idea? Does them not detecting an adverse result mean there was no adverse result?

What about someone that waits about twice as long as they should to change their oil. I bet a lot of those people could delude themselves into thinking its OK, since 'they never had any problems' (that they know about).

Regarding battery tenders, they are supposed to detect once the battery is charged, and stop charging. They should not be able to overcharge. The whole idea is you can let it 'tend' to your battery and always keep it just topped off with a full charge. From the treads reporting issues it sounds like maybe sometimes they don't. I haven't had this problem with mine (which is rather old, 20+ years). Maybe its a don't make 'em like they used to issue.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO

Is that the only negative result of leaving old oil sitting in an engine?

In this thread it was mentioned its not a good idea to start the engine to let it warm up for 10 min every week during storage (I was one of the ones that said this. Yet lots of people have done that, and I bet most of them could say '...and I never had any problems'. Does that mean its a good idea? Does them not detecting an adverse result mean there was no adverse result?

My dad found rust on his valves on his hot rod from starting the car, letting it warm up a bit, doing burnouts and putting the car back without fully having time to burn everything off. To top it off, this was in dry ass Arizona.

What about someone that waits about twice as long as they should to change their oil. I bet a lot of those people could delude themselves into thinking its OK, since 'they never had any problems' (that they know about).
That really depends on what "should" is defined at. However, definite answers can be found by sampling. Either way, if the oil is still good and within service, the additives/detergents will keep acids and such from killing your motor during sitting over winter.

Regarding battery tenders, they are supposed to detect once the battery is charged, and stop charging. They should not be able to overcharge. The whole idea is you can let it 'tend' to your battery and always keep it just topped off with a full charge. From the treads reporting issues it sounds like maybe sometimes they don't. I haven't had this problem with mine (which is rather old, 20+ years). Maybe its a don't make 'em like they used to issue.
Sometimes they fail. You should see what the metal looks like under both batteries in my truck.

I personally pull the batteries and hit them with the trickle charger once or twice through the winter to keep them charged. Sometimes I just pull the batteries and it is enough to keep them from draining completely.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 PM

I don't get why u wouldn't want to start the car a few times in the winter. I would think keeping oil running through the parts so their lubricated would be the way to go

Quick Reply: how to store your S?