S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how to store your S?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Don't you think it would be better to raise the car up on jack stands? Anyhoo... prolly not going to cause much flat-spotting in the few months of winter. No?
No on the jack stands. Can cause suspension problems. Generally if tires sit long enough to develop flat spots that won't quickly go away just driving on them a little, they've also sat long enough to dry rot and crack. If they flat spot, they are probably no good anyway. Leave the car sitting on the tires.

Overinflating is not a ad idea, but imo is not at all necessary for such a short sit.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I fill up the tank with adding a little stabilizer, wash the car, put it in the garage, and put a cover on it. That's it. I change oil in the Spring if it was still in it's service life before storage.
If you are going to change the oil in the spring anyway, you are far better off changing it before storage instead. Contaminents in the oil will eat away at the inside of your motor all winter long.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
No on the jack stands. Can cause suspension problems. Generally if tires sit long enough to develop flat spots that won't quickly go away just driving on them a little, they've also sat long enough to dry rot and crack. If they flat spot, they are probably no good anyway. Leave the car sitting on the tires.

Overinflating is not a ad idea, but imo is not at all necessary for such a short sit.
I guess if you really want to be anal (not that car fanatics are anal or anything like that ) --- you could replace the tires/wheels with a set of cheap substitutes. Like what some ppl do during winter, when they put studded tires onto their car. Store the pulled good tires/wheels until Spring. Let the car sit on the subs.

Just a thought...
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

I've followed this (or something similar), since 2001.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Don't you think it would be better to raise the car up on jack stands? Anyhoo... prolly not going to cause much flat-spotting in the few months of winter. No?

I have 4 donuts that I park my car on.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that list and one thing I don't understand is putting towels under the wipers to prevent them from "memory" position and cracking when used next season. Why can't I just pull the wipers back and let them sit that way during winter (in the garage)?
Old 10-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All above is good advice.In the south I don't store mine( stays covered outdoors)....but when I travel and don't drive it for 2-6 weeks,I'll do the sta-bil thing,full gas tank,add 5 lbs air to the tires and sit them on 2 layers of floor mats and cover the car.

That should do it.

I've had mine since new and no issues.

\rlr
Carolina[attachment=67497:s2k.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails how to store your S?-fullsizerender.jpg   how to store your S?-s2k.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I fill up the tank with adding a little stabilizer, wash the car, put it in the garage, and put a cover on it. That's it. I change oil in the Spring if it was still in it's service life before storage.
If you are going to change the oil in the spring anyway, you are far better off changing it before storage instead. Contaminents in the oil will eat away at the inside of your motor all winter long.
If the oil is still well within it's service life, I am perfectly fine storing with "old" oil that still has detergents and anticorrosive additives specifically for stopping this(I have about 1,200 miles on the car this year with 4 track days and an AutoX). I've done this every year with all my toy cars and yet to have an issue.

The problem with changing before storage... I have other things to do and I would need to change it at a time I could burn off moisture before putting it away. If I do that, that generally means I will drive it many more times before salt is put on the ground and now I'm right back to where I was.

Never had my motor eaten away from the inside out. I also store it with E85 for that same 6 months... As well as 2 other cars.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1412708056' post='23360174

I guess if you really want to be anal (not that car fanatics are anal or anything like that ) --- you could replace the tires/wheels with a set of cheap substitutes. Like what some ppl do during winter, when they put studded tires onto their car. Store the pulled good tires/wheels until Spring. Let the car sit on the subs.

Just a thought...
Excellent suggestion.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

The problem with changing before storage... I have other things to do and I would need to change it at a time I could burn off moisture before putting it away. If I do that, that generally means I will drive it many more times before salt is put on the ground and now I'm right back to where I was.

Never had my motor eaten away from the inside out. I also store it with E85 for that same 6 months... As well as 2 other cars.
You'd be ok with old oil, left in the car. IMHO, it won't deteriorate as much standing there; than if it were in a driven car for 6 months. I make a list of stuff on a piece of paper and leave it on the driver's seat. That way, you'll know what was done and needs to be done in Spring. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: how to store your S?