S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How should spark plug seals sit?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How should spark plug seals sit?

I've just finished my 54k service, but I'm not 100% sure from the service manual on exactly how the spark plug seals should sit.

At the moment the seals are upturned as they come from honda, and sit around the top of the spark plug tube. Is this right or should they sit a little further down the tube as you look at it from above?

If anyone has any pictures of exactly how they should sit it would give me peace of mind.
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by samg1988
I've just finished my 54k service, but I'm not 100% sure from the service manual on exactly how the spark plug seals should sit.

At the moment the seals are upturned as they come from honda, and sit around the top of the spark plug tube. Is this right or should they sit a little further down the tube as you look at it from above?

If anyone has any pictures of exactly how they should sit it would give me peace of mind.
Thanks!

I don't have pics but the seals should have slid down the tubes as you tightened the valvcover bolts. The seals should not be "tented" upwards along the upper rim of the tube as they will tear. So the circumference of the seal should be around the metal tube and should have slid down the tube a bit during tightening. Make sure that happened, as long as it did you are safe. When looking down at the tubes you should see the rubbeer part of the seal sitting below the tops of the tubes with all metal tubes protruding through the seals. The shape of the seals will change a bit as they slide down the tube and grip the surface a bit, but that doesn't matter as long as the seals made it over the tops of the metal tubes and the seals don't get snagged on the top of the metal tubes (which are very sharp).

When you first install the valvecover the seals will be tented upwards as they sit on the rim of the metal plug tubes. I use my finger to coax them around the tops of the tubes to prevent them from tearing. Once you coax them around each of the 4 tubes the valvecover will start to slide downwards easily. Then I start tightening the valvecover and the seals move down safely. Some people put a little oil on the tubes to help them move downwards but I've never done that.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect answer! Cheers!