S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How should Lo/Hi Throttle settings be chosen for the V-AFC?

Old 01-15-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point Gernby, I hadnt thought about it like that.

Chris
Old 01-15-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that means I will have to different setting? one setting for normal street use {w/o Nitrous} and one with Nitrous? will it be easy to change the settings with the VAFC?

Chris C.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SC-SUZUKA
[B]So that means I will have to different setting? one setting for normal street use {w/o Nitrous} and one with Nitrous? will it be easy to change the settings with the VAFC?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember monkeying with my throttle settings when I had it, but I don't remmeber how. I think I pushed both of them up because I found myself above 10% most of the time but NOT driving aggressively. I tried to set it so that I wasn't using the VAFC until I went WOT or very near it.

If the problem is the ECU learning faster with the VAFC than without, you need to move your settings up so that you don't run the VAFC during normal driving. If there's no difference with the VAFC than without, you either need to learn to live with it or the crappy idle.

My car, since the last valve adjustment, runs like a fricking bat out of hell. The car absolutely screams in comparison to what it used to. I like it so much that I'm willing to live with the car dying at the first stoplight in the morning; it seems to not like the new valve adjustment at the first clutching right after it's hit 3 bars on the gauge.

It sounds like you should look into a Spoon or Mugen ECU if you are worried about idling. I'd say look into the EMS but I think that's more headache than you'd be willing to put up with.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have several questions to revive this old thread.

are there indeed well accepted points for hi and lo throttle maps to be actuated???

in the evo world these values are very well known and published.

they're established by finding out where the closed loop to open loop transitions take place. the low throttle map is then configured roughly and the short term fuel trims are monitored for several days with a wideband o2 sensor. you keep adjusting the fuel curves until the ecu is no longer adjusting anything anymore, or at least adjusting within it's normal 10% margins.

then you tune the hi map at wot and you're done. no need to reset the ecu constantly.

SECOND QUESTION. the evo ecu uses a maf to monitor the air flow into the engine. i realize hondas use map system. in the evo world the safc modifies the maf signal to make the ecu think it's getting more or less air and the ecu thus gives fuel accordingly. IT ALSO ADJUSTS TIMING IN THIS MANNER!!!! less air and fuel means more timing on this type of ecu.

CAN OR DOES A HONDA MOTOR ALSO GIVE TIMING ADVANCE IN THIS WAY?

in the evo world this caveat allows the tuner to affect timing INDIRECTLY by adding large injectors and taking out large amounts of fuel which then trick the ecu into thinking there is very little air and the ecu then dumps a considerable amount of timing. the injector sizes and such have all been worked out so that the timing curve is very good. CAN THIS BE DONE WITH AN S???????

i realize part of the difficulty may come from teh lack of monitoring hardware and software availble to the s community. is there logging hardware nad software for the s? that logs egt, afr, timing, knock, etc etc???

i realize that the aem ems can do all this... but one critical thing it can't do is pass smog.

i pose much of these questions because if you can control fuel with the vafc then that means the stock ecu is capable of being tricked. you just need to break the rom's code, get all the identities and with that you can change fuel, timing and monitor all engine functions.