S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to Replace a Door Skin

Old 02-04-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Replace a Door Skin

Has anybody had experience replacing a door skin on an S?
What is the basic proceedure? How hard is it? Anyone have actual instructions????
Old 02-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about replacing the entire door and transfering the parts?? I dont think you can just replace the door skin...that would be a PITA.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, the skin can be replaced. However, the caulking around the skin will never be as uniform as the OEM one. I know this because my car was a victim of hit-n-run last year. If you get the door from Hardtopguy, it won't cost anywhere near retail. That's the route I went. Putting the door on and adjusting it is quite simple.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:44 PM

like skip said, replacing the door is a better idea than replacing the skin. i received a crease on the passenger side door from a hit and run as well. I contemplated re-skinning it, but under the advice of Jeff from Ganley, i decided not to. replacing the skin requires welding, and sometimes this doesn't turn out too well.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:52 AM

Thanks

I did some more reseach and found out you have to grind the seam off all the way around the door then the skin will come right off and, like you sad when you put the new skin on you have to spot weld along the top so I'm givng it serious consideration. I can get a new skin for $165 bucks and I have purchased a small spot welder as I have to weld in a rear quarter so i'm not sure which way I will go, I kind if want to give it a shot but don't want to botch it up, not being the expert body man. the 1/4 is going to be a challenge as it is! So far all the prices I have found for used doors are outrageous but I'll check out the hardtopguy like you suggested.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:27 AM

I just had another brainstorm (and now I have a serious headache.) I have a big time trashed driver side door so I think I will try grinding the skin off it just for the experience and to see whats all involved in the process.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll bet you'll find the crossmembers are bent and you'll have to replace it anyway! That was actually what happened to mine. They took the skin off and found it to be bent. Insurance then had to replace it. I had already ordered the door from Hardtopguy even though I would have to pay the difference. As it turned out, I saved a couple of days.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by ayelien
Thanks

I did some more reseach and found out you have to grind the seam off all the way around the door then the skin will come right off and, like you sad when you put the new skin on you have to spot weld along the top so I'm givng it serious consideration. I can get a new skin for $165 bucks and I have purchased a small spot welder as I have to weld in a rear quarter so i'm not sure which way I will go, I kind if want to give it a shot but don't want to botch it up, not being the expert body man. the 1/4 is going to be a challenge as it is! So far all the prices I have found for used doors are outrageous but I'll check out the hardtopguy like you suggested.
please post your experience as I plan on using a composite skin on the factory frame.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:17 PM

If I take it on I will give you a report.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by ayelien
If I take it on I will give you a report.
thnx! I guess your thoughts on the skin removal would be most valuable for me.

Quick Reply: How to Replace a Door Skin