S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to prevent heat soak?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

CAI will help a bit.

IMO the best thing to do is rework the factory intake box. I'll try to upload a picture of mine later. Basically use a heat reflective film on the outside of the box(you have probably seen some people use it on the inside and that makes no sense to do). A nice snorkel to direct cooler air into the box, and if you wanted you could insulate the factory intake arm as well.
Heatshielding the engine heat away from the intake box as well as the hot air coming through the radiator(something like the trackforged heat shield used for turbo cars).
From there a thicker spacer between the IM and the head will help some. Even blocking off the coolant flow path through the IM.

Those are the stage 1 steps imo lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
CAI will help a bit.

IMO the best thing to do is rework the factory intake box. I'll try to upload a picture of mine later. Basically use a heat reflective film on the outside of the box(you have probably seen some people use it on the inside and that makes no sense to do). A nice snorkel to direct cooler air into the box, and if you wanted you could insulate the factory intake arm as well.
Heatshielding the engine heat away from the intake box as well as the hot air coming through the radiator(something like the trackforged heat shield used for turbo cars).
From there a thicker spacer between the IM and the head will help some. Even blocking off the coolant flow path through the IM.

Those are the stage 1 steps imo lol.
Thank you... a pic would be much appreciated!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Murphg05
Back on topic... friends tell me to go CAI, but I don't get how that would help much if it is still pulling air from outside that is in excess of 100 degrees.
It's all relative. CAI's will tend to be cooler.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,086 Posts

A 'CAI' that has an exposed filter under the hood with no shielding is really a HOT air intake. A CAI with the filter relocated to under the car is a hydrolock waiting to happen.

Shield/insulate the airbox, and extend the snorkel past the top of the radiator, like was already mentioned, then get the IM gasket that isolates heat xfer from head and blocks the hot water to IM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Auto makers have been making cars with effective CAI for decades - they learned long ago how to utilize the benefits of getting cooler air from outside the engine bay. Aftermarket CAIs can be more efficient, but cold air is no secret. The S2000's intake is particularly well designed for stock unit but even it can be improved. However, the way air is routed to the stock box is pretty much optimized already if you ask me.

If you're moving forward, you're getting a steady stream of ambient air into the car with little heat soak. Wrapping the pumbing will delay the heat soak, then extend it once the insulation is saturated. Unless you do something like run a coolant system over the housing to keep ambient down (or lower it), the best bet is just to keep driving.

One thing you could consider is covering the outside of the airbox and piping with something like heat shield tape to slow down the soak of the inductive materials.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/pr...ield-mat/79/21
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I have a J's Racing snorkel on my oem box. If I leave my house and drive immediately on the highway and keep on the highway my intake air temps rise pretty slowly and it runs well. If I keep the throttle plate open the intake temps will stay at a decent temp, as soon as the throttle plate closes intake temps will rise quickly. If I get into city stop and go traffic intake temps skyrocket and will then the engine will remain hot with almost no way to get temps to cool down after that. The intake manifold is a huge heat sink, once it gets hot it is nearly impossible to cool off. You can do the coolant by-pass trick to by-pass coolant from the manifold and throttle body. While the Hondata intake manifold gasket has some limited thermal isolation benefits it won't help much once you get into stop and go city traffic and they are notorious for leaking and I would never use one.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For whats it's worth I had the Hondata IMG on my04 way back when for 3 years without an issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
For whats it's worth I had the Hondata IMG on my04 way back when for 3 years without an issue.
Hondata Gasket would be my 2nd thing to do. First would be to put heat reflective tape or stuff I used was RUBATEX in strips of adhesive foam. Holds off the heat big time!

Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket is great too but a PITA to install.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. Has anyone ever run an aftercooler with an N/A car? Seems like that would work just fine. I'm am currently supercharged, but i think i were to just take out the blower and run and intake off the aftercooler, it would lower the intake temps still. Hmmmm....

Not that I would, but just a thought.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
A 'CAI' that has an exposed filter under the hood with no shielding is really a HOT air intake. A CAI with the filter relocated to under the car is a hydrolock waiting to happen.

Shield/insulate the airbox, and extend the snorkel past the top of the radiator, like was already mentioned, then get the IM gasket that isolates heat xfer from head and blocks the hot water to IM.
agreed

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Auto makers have been making cars with effective CAI for decades - they learned long ago how to utilize the benefits of getting cooler air from outside the engine bay. Aftermarket CAIs can be more efficient, but cold air is no secret. The S2000's intake is particularly well designed for stock unit but even it can be improved. However, the way air is routed to the stock box is pretty much optimized already if you ask me.

If you're moving forward, you're getting a steady stream of ambient air into the car with little heat soak. Wrapping the pumbing will delay the heat soak, then extend it once the insulation is saturated. Unless you do something like run a coolant system over the housing to keep ambient down (or lower it), the best bet is just to keep driving.

One thing you could consider is covering the outside of the airbox and piping with something like heat shield tape to slow down the soak of the inductive materials.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/pr...ield-mat/79/21
sounds like insulating the airbox may be the way to go... as long as i can do it without it looking like crap

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I have a J's Racing snorkel on my oem box. If I leave my house and drive immediately on the highway and keep on the highway my intake air temps rise pretty slowly and it runs well. If I keep the throttle plate open the intake temps will stay at a decent temp, as soon as the throttle plate closes intake temps will rise quickly. If I get into city stop and go traffic intake temps skyrocket and will then the engine will remain hot with almost no way to get temps to cool down after that. The intake manifold is a huge heat sink, once it gets hot it is nearly impossible to cool off. You can do the coolant by-pass trick to by-pass coolant from the manifold and throttle body. While the Hondata intake manifold gasket has some limited thermal isolation benefits it won't help much once you get into stop and go city traffic and they are notorious for leaking and I would never use one.
thought about this, but was concerned if the IM got too hot there would be nothing to cool it. At least with the coolant flow the IM will not be any hotter than anything else.

Originally Posted by KaNgArOo
Yeah. Has anyone ever run an aftercooler with an N/A car? Seems like that would work just fine. I'm am currently supercharged, but i think i were to just take out the blower and run and intake off the aftercooler, it would lower the intake temps still. Hmmmm....

Not that I would, but just a though.
Thought about adding something to the airbox that could be switched on to cool the intake air.... might be a little excessive though! LOL

Quick Reply: How to prevent heat soak?