S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to permanently disable VSA?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eric1234,Apr 14 2010, 05:34 AM
(edit: I see that later posts recognize and discuss static and dynamic friction. The following may not be all that helpful - I wrote it in reply to the earlier, quoted excerpt. Disregard as appropriate... ;-))

No, not quite. VSA reduces the amount of torque - to prevent the torque from overpowering the wheels. It is too much torque - overpowering the wheels - it is this overpowering that will reduce wheel grip.

This works in an identical fashion to ABS.

To start at the basics of physics: All of the grip is generated between the wheels and the ground - "grip" is really friction.

There are two kinds of friction:

1) Static friction and 2) Sliding friction. Static friction is ALWAYS greater than Sliding friction.

What does this mean: Put an object at rest on your desk and try to push it. You can apply a certain amount of force BEFORE it will begin to move. This is the Static Friction generated between the surface of your desk and the object. Lets say you can push against the object with 1lb of force before it begins to move. Static Friction can be measured by the amount of force required to get an object at rest to START moving.

Once the object begins to move, the amount of force to keep it moving at any given speed is LESS than 1lb. This is sliding friction - the amount of force required to KEEP an object moving at a given speed once it starts moving. It is ALWAYS less than static friction (I think - maybe there are some very, very rare exceptions. - Every rule has an exception or two).

What does this have to do with VSA or ABS?

Well, when a tire is rolling - it is in constant contact with the ground -> this provides the larger Static Friction. This is the MOST friction (grip) available.

When a tire is skidding (or spinning) there is relative motion between the tire and any given point of contact on the ground - in other words, it is in the sliding (reduced friction/grip) domain.

The whole point of VSA and ABS is to ensure that tires DO NOT make the transition from Static to Sliding Friction. They reduce the power to the tire to PREVENT grip from being reduced - because once grip is reduced, all sorts of (to the driver) unpredictable things may happen.

ABS does this by using speed sensors at each wheel to sense the deceleration of each wheel under braking and releasing brake pressure on a specific wheel that is at the threshold stage between Static and Sliding friction. ("Just about" to start skidding)

VSA does the same thing by using vehicle accelerometers and yaw sensors to determine those conditions when the vehicle as a whole is about to lose traction at one or more wheels (such as for the rear-end to break free). In response to such a determination, the ECU will cut power to the rear wheels, and apply one or more brakes at OTHER wheels to steady the path of the vehicle. Again - all of these (re)actions are designed to prevent the tires making the transition from Static friction to Sliding friction. In other words, all of these (re)actions are designed to enhance / optimize / prevent the grip from going down.

None of them "reduce" grip.

Best of luck,
Eric
if you are already in the kinetic friction realm of grip, then vsa can do nothing for you, yet it will still actuate. it will do this because it cannot actually determine what grip realm you're in, it can only determine a window of operation based on sensor readings. travel outside of this window and it will start the lookup table of sectors to brake and then rinse and repeat until the sensors read within the "proper" operational window.

torque on wheels is not all that requires grip. a pure lateral load can make you surpass available grip, you can easily surpass grip threshold without using the throttle and applying torque to the rear wheels. vsa does turn on in such a scenario. applying brakes in such a scenario would reduce the available grip.

braking absolutely reduces available grip. traction circle.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eric1234,Apr 14 2010, 06:03 AM
So, I've been thinking about this some more....

First: I'm not a track-trained driver, just an engineer and patent attorney who is also an auto enthusiast.

So, what I think happens here (in a nutshell) is that ABS/VSA/Traction Control are all designed to prevent the transition from static to dynamic friction. As such, they must all act at some point BEFORE the transition. Let's just say at 95%.

What that suggests is that a very skilled driver - can push further - let's say to 99%, and do better than the VSA. Such a 'magical' driver would, indeed, be hampered by the interactions of ABS/VSA.

BUT - that said, how many drivers are capable of this??? (I really don't know, to be honest - it's just a rhetorical question). Certainly, as a vehicle is operated closer and closer to the threshold, uncontrollable variations begin to come into play. What about that pebble in the road? It is going to reduce contact patch area and friction. If you were operating at 99.9%, might one pebble become the difference between success and disaster?

I would think so... The (rhetorical) question then becomes one of practicality: Should drivers (presuming they can) operate in the threshold above VSA activation? I certainly know I can't - but I imagine some of you guys that are trained and experienced can. But what happens when there are 2 pebbles right next to each other? 3? 4?

Maybe VSA is a good thing, even for experienced drivers, as it can reduce the effect of unpredictable events?

I do know that I've had VSA pop on a few times when I (with my 'standard' street skills/experience) didn't expect it to. The S2000 does seem to have a pretty tail happy tendency. Hope I've added some value or insight to the discussion...

Eric
i would say that vsa is there to both prevent (actuate early) and to mitigate (after a catastrophic loss of grip). so i wouldn't say it 'relies' on actuating early, i think it'd do fine actuating after a catastrophic loss of grip, if you were to travel from pavement to grass, dirt, icy side of road (a likely story in any bad accident) then the vsa would still help to correct your yaw and prevent too crazy of a spinning and other undesirable effects. similarly if you were to be clipped in the tail end, instead of whipping around into an uncontrollable spin striking other people in traffic, the vsa could help damp the yaw and keep you going in the same direction as everyone else (at least).
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trinydex,Apr 14 2010, 06:42 AM
i would say that vsa is there to both prevent (actuate early) and to mitigate (after a catastrophic loss of grip). so i wouldn't say it 'relies' on actuating early, i think it'd do fine actuating after a catastrophic loss of grip, if you were to travel from pavement to grass, dirt, icy side of road (a likely story in any bad accident) then the vsa would still help to correct your yaw and prevent too crazy of a spinning and other undesirable effects. similarly if you were to be clipped in the tail end, instead of whipping around into an uncontrollable spin striking other people in traffic, the vsa could help damp the yaw and keep you going in the same direction as everyone else (at least).
If I combine your two posts above, I think there's a piece missing:

If there's nothing VSA can do once the sliding friction realm has been entered (as you posted above) -and with which I agree, as it can't manufacture grip: Then it can't perform any mitigation role.

Right?

One key is that for VSA, grip is *not* reduced, because the braking (ideally, for most circumstances, I imagine) is performed by a *different* tire than the one that is approaching the threshold. In other words, as the rear end starts to slip out (one or both rear tires nearing friction threshold) brakes are applied at the outside (?) front tire - to the point beneath the threshold of THAT front tire. Therefore - total grip is enhanced. (It is increased in the rear, and maintained beneath the static/dynamic threshold in the front). -Admittedly - the amount of braking force up front is increased - but as long as it remains below the threshold - all is good.

As for the torque vs lateral forces - I'm with you - but - torque is the mother of all grip consumption. That is, without torque, there's no lateral forces that can be developed. Therefore, cutting torque certainly is a step forward in the prevention of unintended handling response.

Again -my understanding is that the whole point of VSA is to prevent a tire (or tires) from crossing their respective threshold(s) from static to dynamic - which maintains overall (sum total) grip.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by trinydex,Apr 14 2010, 06:36 AM
1. a pure lateral load can make you surpass available grip, you can easily surpass grip threshold without using the throttle and applying torque to the rear wheels. vsa does turn on in such a scenario. applying brakes in such a scenario would reduce the available grip.

2. braking absolutely reduces available grip. traction circle.
Eric I believe has already explained things pretty well. I'll just reiterate his and my points a little.. As long as the "friction threshold" is not crossed, VSA does NOT reduce traction. How many times do people have to repeat the same thing? If you slam on your brakes but never lock up the brakes, is grip ever reduced? No. Same idea with VSA.

For your scenario 1.. If you've already crossed the "friction threshold" via lateral forces (taking a turn too fast), then yes IF VSA applies the brakes to the tires that don't have traction, it can't magically fabricate extra grip. However, the VSA system can apply the brakes unevenly to different sides of the car (which we can't do with the brake pedal), which *can* help stabilize the car. Again, in theory, it could make matters worse, but depending on how "smart" the VSA system is, it most certainly can make the situation better.

For #2, braking only reduces grip should the tires cross the "friction threshold" and you lose grip. I think Eric explained this pretty well. If the tires are at 50% grip or 99% grip it doesn't matter, the grip is the same.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowTeg,Apr 14 2010, 09:02 AM
If the tires are at 50% grip or 99% grip it doesn't matter, the grip is the same.
Yes!

I'd been meaning to say this - but it kept eluding me. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Grip" isn't really the goal, actually. The goal is to create the force that is accelerating the car in a particular direction. Grip is only one of many possible limiting factors for that force.

It is quite possible for a stability system to limit that force.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Since this thread started so long ago, I didn't read the beginning of it. Since the end of it seems to be about a silly argument, I figure I should just ask my question without reading the whole damn thing.

Has anyone made any progress improving the VSA experience? I've improved my VSA experience quite a bit by disabling fuel cut with my FlashPro, but it is still too agressive when I through on the track pads and tires. It works VERY well on the street.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gernby, that's an excellent question but it should probably be reposted as a separate topic with a more descriptive title.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

^ Yah, I was just wondering if it's already been discussed in this thread. I'll try to remember to read through this thread when I have more time.