S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HOW TO PAINT OEM WHEELS

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO PAINT OEM WHEELS

This is my first time ever painting something or even doing a DIY so ill try to make it interesting and easy to read.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

Automotive paint (of your choosing color)
Automotive clear coat.
XX-I bought these at advanced auto parts for 6.69 a piece (4 paints) (2 clearcoats)-XX

sand paper

PATIENCE
OEM jack, tools( what i used, works well)
jackstand

newspaper
bucket o' water and a sponger
about three unused shirts u would throw out

1st step:
I put the jack right under the sidekirt, where there is a piece of steel made for the jack. I placed a thick shirt as i feel bad scratching up my baby.

Now as i took the wheel off i cleaned it with just plain water and a sponge to take off any brake dust. I let the sun dry it off as i painted the calipers red. (i used a small paint brush and high temp caliper paint, one coat did it and looked great.)

2nd step:

I took one of the old shirts i have never seen in my life and never worn(i think) and cleaned off the wheel off of any brake dust and water spots...
NOW I DID NOT DO ANY SANDING DOWN UNLESS I HAD SOME SCRATCHES ON MY WHEELS. I had one one wheel with massive scratches from the previous owner so i only did that one wheel. easy peasy.

3rd step:

FOLLOW DIRECTIONS BEHIND THE CAN,
really spray the wheel slowlly in 5min incraments between paint as it drys very quickly. Each coat should make the wheel darker and darker. The last coat, after its all blended dark, put one heavy coat to make it glossy. Once dry i did one light coat of clearcoat and the last one really heavy to make it shine.

BOOM BOOM SHINE =] no i did not take off my tires, yes a mistake but eh, i dont mind, the paint will come off the tires.

heres a shot of my first wheel. As you can see, i did not put enough clear coat to make it shine, so at the end i redid that one wheel.

Ill add pictures of the car in glossy black OEM wheels and flashy +30 whp red calipers later.

As you do each wheel make sure u have the E-brake up and maybe leave it in first gear, depending on the angle. My drive way is about 40degrees incline so i did just that. Use jack stands and these things as well

This is my first side done, when i had my first passanger side wheel still a little flat black. Make sure once cleaned there is no air and dirt going around near your wet paint. If you start seeing bubbles from too much paint, slowlly spray over that area and it should be good

YES I HAVE NO TRUNK(getting repainted from getting keyed ) AND YES THAT IS A SKATE BOARD HOLDING THE BACK WHEEL, just being safe =] hope that wasnt too bad of a write up, all ended up well and i hope the paint will last.

total time: 4 hours
money spent: about $35
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhhh NO PRIMER? AND.... you only sanded one of them?

E for effort on the write up but this is not very good advice.

It looks great, but it won't last. Here are a few tips for you next project:

When it comes to painting... ITS ALL ABOUT PREP. Those bubbles that you saw and sprayed over are because you didn't get the wheels properly cleaned. Water alone will not get rid of grease. Also, you NEED to sand every wheel no matter what, paint will adhere to a rough surface much better than a smooth one. USE primer!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 PM

if ap2 rims, you must use something like amonium to clean them first as well during the prep stage because of the finish on the metal.

Good write up non the less.! looks nice man.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM

And FYI to others, its very easy to insert cardbored, paper, or just masking tape deep between the tire and the wheel to prevent over spray on the tire. Yes the paint will wrinkle off of the tire eventually but, if ur gonna do it, do it right.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 AM

^^ I agree, I used a couple decks of playing cards from the dollar store.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 21337R,Jun 14 2010, 10:34 PM
Uhhhh NO PRIMER? AND.... you only sanded one of them?

E for effort on the write up but this is not very good advice.

It looks great, but it won't last. Here are a few tips for you next project:

When it comes to painting... ITS ALL ABOUT PREP. Those bubbles that you saw and sprayed over are because you didn't get the wheels properly cleaned. Water alone will not get rid of grease. Also, you NEED to sand every wheel no matter what, paint will adhere to a rough surface much better than a smooth one. USE primer!
this.

sand the surface thoroughly to get a good scratch in. then wash it with a strong degreasing soap like dish soap.

primer, paint, colorsand if needed, and then clear.

on your first test fit picture in the first post it looked like the paint already chipped in two places. imagine driving around a few weeks.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM

I have painted 3 sets of rims, doing them correctly every time. If you live where it snows and there is salt on the roads for winter, your rims are done for. I just don't do my rims anymore for that reason and even know they came out really good, its still just ricey in my mind.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Do yourself a favor and don't jack the car up when parked on an incline like that.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CrZy_Vick,Jun 14 2010, 10:09 PM

lol seriously?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 AM

It looks ok, but don't you get unevenness between the four rims? I would be afraid they were not close enough in color and shine match. Looks good for the price and time though, not a bad temporary thing.

Quick Reply: HOW TO PAINT OEM WHEELS