S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How often should I change the oil?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXCELLENT INFO!......^^....

Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 AM

I'd like to hear from other 06 drivers as well.
Mine was bought on 8/11 and my 15% (4950miles) came on about 9/30.
It is a daily driver and an occasional weekend touge runner. I drive it fairly hard. It was broken in correctly up to 1k miles.

Thanks for that article. Good read.
When it mentions temperature, is that engine temp or outside temp that is reported on the readout? If it was engine temp, I wonder if you could tap a gauge into that so you can see it. Hmm...

Also, not changing the oil filter with every oil change is new. I am not sure if I want to do this. Did oil filters become that much better in 06?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is at 3300 and 50%. I am assuming that it it going to 7000 mile counter...
Old 10-04-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Boofster,Oct 4 2006, 09:01 AM
I'd like to hear from other 06 drivers as well.
Mine was bought on 8/11 and my 15% (4950miles) came on about 9/30.
It is a daily driver and an occasional weekend touge runner. I drive it fairly hard. It was broken in correctly up to 1k miles.

Thanks for that article. Good read.
When it mentions temperature, is that engine temp or outside temp that is reported on the readout? If it was engine temp, I wonder if you could tap a gauge into that so you can see it. Hmm...

Also, not changing the oil filter with every oil change is new. I am not sure if I want to do this. Did oil filters become that much better in 06?
Mine's showing up at the exact same mileage as yours ... 4950. However, like yourself, I'm torn between whether to trust Honda on tihs one and not replace the filter, or to go ahead and get it replaced. Any feedback on this?

I'd think that the filter should be replaced especially since we're dealing with break-in oil that will undoubtedly have a higher proportion of metallic content in it than normal.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Oct 4 2006, 05:57 PM
Mine's showing up at the exact same mileage as yours ... 4950. However, like yourself, I'm torn between whether to trust Honda on tihs one and not replace the filter, or to go ahead and get it replaced. Any feedback on this?

I'd think that the filter should be replaced especially since we're dealing with break-in oil that will undoubtedly have a higher proportion of metallic content in it than normal.
I agree with you, I think the filter needs to be changed after drainning the break in oil..
Old 10-05-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Crimedog,Oct 4 2006, 06:00 PM
I agree with you, I think the filter needs to be changed after drainning the break in oil..
Are you guys getting a code A or B when your maintenance is due?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Oct 5 2006, 06:38 AM
Are you guys getting a code A or B when your maintenance is due?
A1 - change oil only, and check tires.

I think I'm going to pay extra and ask them to change the filter as well since we're dealing with break in oil.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Oct 5 2006, 07:55 AM
A1 - change oil only, and check tires.

I think I'm going to pay extra and ask them to change the filter as well since we're dealing with break in oil.
Now this is interesting. Especially since the procedure (as far as I know) prior to '06 models was to change the oil and the filter. All S2000s use the same PCX Honda filter and we all know Honda didn't magically make it better between '05 and '06. So this begs the question, why now leave it on the car for the duration of two changes?

I'd also be interested in knowing if, based on driving conditions, the oil monitor makes the decision as to whether or not to request an oil filter change at the first oil service interval. For instance, if someone had their new '06 and started tracking the car just after break in with lots of high temperatures and visits to redline. Would the maintenance minder then factor this in and throw a B code indicating that a new filter was needed during the oil change interval?

If it were my car I too would request an oil and filter change, even if it meant paying a little bit extra. This does however show Honda's confidence in the quality of their oil filters. I think it also makes it that much more critical that whenever changing the oil on the S the proper oil filtration should ALWAYS be used.

I also remember another forum member having the smaller Honda PLM filter installed on his new '06 S2000 when he took it in to be serviced at the dealer. Initially he was concerned about potential damage to his car and was basically told that he was over reacting. However, I can see how a simple mistake on the dealer's part could be really bad for the car had they installed the PLM filter and then not changed it out for two whole oil change intervals. Imagine the bad things that could happen to an engine like this with improper filtration and the maintenance minder wouldn't know the difference....
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 AM

Changed with K&N 1004. I may do a 2 oil changes per filter later on when I switch to synthetic after 10k. For now, dino oil gets filter change along with it even if the code says otherwise.

I do the change myself btw. Nobody is laying their dirty paws on my baby.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by maxsales,Oct 2 2006, 11:10 AM
3352 miles mine reads 50%.
Mine Is the same as your reading.

Quick Reply: How often should I change the oil?