S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How necessary is re-sleeving the motor?

Old 07-07-2003, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay here's another weird question for the savvy:

How necessary is it to re-sleeve the motor when running high-boost turbo apps for our car?

My reasoning is because I am hoping that for someone to boost a maximum of 17-18 psi daily driven, that our stock sleeves are able to withstand the pressure. Perhaps if you plan to boost 28 lbs like some of the other turbo pioneers, then that would be a different story.

So far, I havent heard of any top fuel cars in japan use sleeves. Perhaps I have misread, or have been misinformed.

anyone care to chime in on this?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:04 AM

The cylinder walls are built to withstand explosion after explosion after explosion... The question is not can handle the boost. The question is will your head gasket?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:12 AM

I half agree with 03spa in that the block wasn't designed for boost. Granted it the sleeves where designed to handle explosion after explosion, they were not meant to handle boost. In most Honda turbo cars it's the sleeves that go. If I was you I would sleeve the block just for the added safety that the sleeves won't go.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:23 AM

for the money is well worth it. IF you running stock boost as they call it 6-7 and even 9psi good stock. If you are upping the boost do it right and do it once. Take your time and get the internals upgraded as it will only cost you at least 2x much in the case of detonation. Meaning you stock blow up you will not only need to rebuild , but then you will want to get the protection. Why not get the protection now and avoid the rebuild. Good example is a cop that wont wear his bulletproof vest until he is shot at just cause not everyone gets shot at. Dont assume. I've always said.. Assumption is the mother of all fukups!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a must to sleeve it. Pretty much any Honda motor these days doing high boost. The sleeving is recommended.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:28 PM

Resleeve all you want, the headgasket won't hold up. What's HIGH BOOST 17 or 28?!? THe most I've seen on here was around 17psi, it was resleeved, but the head gasket blew. (the engine is for sale in the to buy forum). It's not going to be very streetable. Your drive train shouldn't last too long either... But look at the bright side, you will become very proficient in changing out the clutch.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:55 PM

22 pound of boost so far no problem. Stock sleeves, stock headgasket, stock bore and stroke on B series motor. Making well over 500HP as of right now. I would assume maybe the s2000 sleeves can handle just as well or even better. Head gasket should be fine, all the people I know that run high hp Hondas all use stock headgasket.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:52 PM

Thanks Hybrid, alot of paranoia running around here. Bad tuning will always result in disaster.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hybrid
[B]22 pound of boost so far no problem.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Darksyde

You mayby running that on a B-Series but nowone I know of on this board is running anywhere near 20psi on a stock block. Most of the guys running anything over 15psi has a built block. I don't know for the extra money I would take the safe road and have the block built. I personally wouldn't want to try the limitations of this block, because the replacenment cost is far higher than the build up cost and besides if you blow a B-Block it wont's cost you as much to replace it.
Why would S2000 block be more expensive than a B series block?? Because the car is more expensive?
Just to let you know, B series block is hot, so I think Honda decided to raise the price from two years ago.

I just did a price comparision on both block and

S2000 short block complete assembled new from the dealership: $ 1296.55
B series GSR short block complete assembled new from the dealership: $ 2118.63
These are prices with 25% off retail.
When I bought my GSR block from dealership brand new two years ago, it was $1600 assembled.
Ask your dealerships if you don't believe me.

The reason no one has sucessfully done more than 20psi on S2000 yet is because there is not enough people with the car turbocharging. So, the progress is pretty slow and no one on this board is willing to step out to be pioneers except for a few members. And these members has done a great job on their behalf but things happens, motor do blow if not done right. Most of the members here are waiting for others to pave the way for them. Follow the wrong bandwagan can sometimes go against you. Most companies here are not offering 20+ Psi turbo package, why? Maybe you should ask them.

Quick Reply: How necessary is re-sleeving the motor?