S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How much Psi can stock rods hold..?

Old 05-14-2004, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mikecl713
if only the ur kit came with the ems...
emanage is crap compared to the aem ems
If the UR kit came with the AEM EMS, it wouldn't be a kit Too many people would complain about the EMS even more. Remember, the AEM EMS is really not for everyone. You gotta know you want to go the extra mile and stick with it.

Most kits you see that produce some really high horsepower numbers on other cars like supras and such, dont come with any form of stand-alone. It'd have to be bought seperately because of all the liabilities and complaints they'd recieve. I talk to UR every now and then just to BS and he constantly tells me how many people just complain about how they dont want to tune the car or woes they're having with tunning cause they're trying to do it themselves using just the autometer a/f gauge and not even a wideband . Imagine how much worse it'd be if they provided the AEM EMS with it
Old 05-14-2004, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignorant people
Old 05-14-2004, 08:34 AM

I wont say that the FMU is the best way to go but it works. I put the fuel line on wrong at 3am, not a vac. hose. I run my car hard. I just dont have much respect for people that have a fast car & say they can do this and that when they have never done it. I plan on running 11s after this motor is done, I dont plan on showing it. Ill say that a EMS is a better way 2 go but if the FMU works leave it alone
Old 05-14-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ma Sc'ed and I use a stock FMU and a high preassure fuel pump 225@90 psi, enough for 8 psi and 550cc

next week I will finish the tune
Old 05-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Blkturbos2k
I wont say that the FMU is the best way to go but it works. I put the fuel line on wrong at 3am, not a vac. hose. I run my car hard. I just dont have much respect for people that have a fast car & say they can do this and that when they have never done it. I plan on running 11s after this motor is done, I dont plan on showing it. Ill say that a EMS is a better way 2 go but if the FMU works leave it alone
right, cause I've never used any of this stuff in my life . I do almost all the work on my car and have done so for years. I've worked on all of my friends cars and done various motor swaps and performance upgrades for them as well. I've also seen or used almost all the widely used engine management methods and I can confidently repeat myself and say the ECU equiped with this car makes a V-AFC and a person like you who doesn't know what they're doing, a waste of a motor.

Don't start criticizing me on any of my experience. I'm just trying to help your ignorance from growing. I've been through all of this and am telling you from my personal experience. You still go off like I'm trying to hurt you by saying get better fuel management.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:05 PM

Its not just the fuel mang that you talk about. You down a kit that you have never seen or drove. Like I said before Iam sure there is a better way to do the fuel but if this works for my weekend race & drives then its fine. Once you get to this point the car should not be a daily driver. Iam all about speed and Ill live with a jumpy car if I have 2. The only thing that I care about is beating the other car. Now that I know that my motor wont work and that Iam a waste you should come down some time and see how fast the wasted motor is, I just hope that I dont know how to drive
Old 06-04-2004, 04:34 PM

Both also take a hell of a long time to finish the work and send it back to you
I had mine done at Golden Eagle. They said that it would take 6 weeks. It took 4 months (including shipping)!

I will say that the quality of the install was top notch. The engine has the strength of a closed deck design (also rated at 50psi), but holes are still surrounding the sleeves to provide cooling. They also balance the rotating mass, after installing new rods / pistons / and crank to insure the correct harmonics.

As for the original question, How much PSI can the stock rods take. I think this is the wrong question. If I were to rephrase it, I would say something like, "How much psi can the engine take before I have to replace the stock internals?"

The Rods are not the weakest link in the chain. And it has already been mentioned that if you are going to replace the pistons, you might as well replace the rods.

SO ... I have not given you my "opinion" on the question. I would not run higher that 8 psi on stock internals. I am a little conservative with my risk taking when giving advise. I have heard of others running as high as 10 or 12, but I have also heard more problems at these higher levels. 8 seems to be the highest without significant issues.

I think tuning EMS is a pain in the a$$, but a blown engine is worse! If you blow your engine, you can only race Fred Flintstone style!

Speaking of racing......Can I join in?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:10 AM

I dont think there will be few problems if any by having fail proof things done to the motor.
For example:1) Thicker head gasket to drop the compression (stainless steel) 2) Methanol injection
3) AEM EMS for tunning etc...... theres actually a member of the board that did 432 rwhp on 13 psi on stock internals.Now wether he had all these fail proof items or not I dont know.Well I am having a similar setup done so time will tell.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Simmer down dude ... he's expressing is opinion - that's what this site is about.
BTW ... to say boost is boost is making a broad statement and is not completely true. NOS is a form of forced induction (when you brake it down) and turbos put more stress in the motor b/c you're putting much more heat into the motor with a turbo. That's why you need an intercooler with a turbo. You have the double heat whammy of compression induced heat and exhaust soak induced heat. However, turbos are a much more eloquent way of producing power b/c the turbo gets a free ride via the waste gasses whereas the SC is parasitic (but simpler).

And for note, Kane may be very young, but he spends a lot of time reading up on this subject and has a relatively good handle on it ... experience or not.
Remember, it's better to learn from the mistakes of others than to repeat them. I learned via experiece (on my RX7 turbo) ... and it wasn't cheap.

Originally posted by Blkturbos2k
Iam the one that blew the motor up,why? Because I dont listen to anyone!!! I was at 140mph@10lbs. Kane, why do you hate on Inline & what do you own that make you know that there kit will not work. All show & no go? I put my FMU in wrong, thats why my motor went. Boost is boost. It does not matter if from a turbo or a S/C. Well lets get back to the "I heard" stuff. I heard that U/R has had ALOT of cars go BOOM! If you want to be the guy that knows this & that & says may car can do this & that with out running it then you should get a MUSTANG. Dont be a hater till you know 4 sure!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kane.s2k