S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how much for labor would these mods cost?

Old 10-30-2003, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking into getting all the below mods installed at once, possibly at a reputable shop about 2 hours away from me. it would be nice to enjoy each mod at a time, but it comes at the price of convenience.

so i know what kind of number i'm looking at here, i hope you can help me figure out what a good price on labor is so i know what to expect.

to be installed:
4.57 install
comptech reinforced differential
comptech exhaust
comptech supercharger w/ aftercooler
yellow box
vafc

i could probably do the exhaust and yellow box myself since they seem easy enough. and prob the vafc as well. but if the price doesn't change by much, i'd rather someone with more experience than i do it if they're already under the hood.

thanks in advance for the help. *waves to sprchrg if he's paying attn*
Old 10-30-2003, 03:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wortham
i'm looking into getting all the
Old 10-30-2003, 03:19 PM

i guess location might be nice. i'm in Tucson, AZ, and might make a trip up for the Phoenix to get the work done.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 4.57's, and comptech differential mods can all be performed at Comptech. The real expense will be pulling and then reinstalling the pumpkin prior to shipping. $500 range. Rick's ships Final Gears directly to Comptech and they can perform the labor in one go.

Since you live in California, why don't you drive to Comptech in Sacromento and have them perform ALL of the work?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:38 PM

if only i have that kind of time. :| i'm in college keeping an 18 credit load and also am a full time Marine. i feel good when i get to see my wife more than an hour a day. my S is also my only car so shipping off the pumpkin and letting the wife take me to and from school isn't my idea of a good time.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:56 PM

anyone else care to weigh in here?
Old 10-31-2003, 03:31 PM

Those aren't difficult mods to do yourself. The hardest thing is the diff, and it's not that hard if you just buy a book and follow directions. You will appreciate it and learn a lot more also.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:45 PM

i agree, ben. i'd actually like to do them all myself not just to save money but for the experience of it. problem is ... it was the S that got me into cars, and to give you an idea of my level of mis-expertise (nice word, eh?), i did my 2nd oil change i've ever done in my life on the S about 3 weeks ago. small step, but i've never been motivated to learn things under the hood til now.

in any case, i'd love someone to be willing to look over my shoulder and help me where i need it as i do the installs to learn. but i don't expect anyone to be that gracious. and i'd rather not jeopardize my baby by screwing something up out of ignorance.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy both the final gear and the Comptech reinforced diff from Rick's, does Comptech install the final gear for free? Do you send them your entire diff ?
Old 11-01-2003, 03:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing is free. You can buy the final gear and reinforced diff and have Comptech or Hardtopguy (probably cheaper) put it together so that all you have to do is unbolt and bolt. (about $400 labor fo them to put it together for you estimating)

As for the yellow box, VAFC, exhaust (do it yourself). It never matters if the shop can do it for you these are relatively simple items (VAFC you should buy the harness) that while simple to you a shop still charges outrageous prices in the long run. Plus you get to learn something else.

Supercharger Install, Comptech is easier to install then Vortech, from everything I heard you should be looking at $600 to $800 for the install. It's not as difficult to do if you have the time, so if you have all the tools (crank pulley) and patience try it yourself. Especially if you have a seperate set of hands.

I say the gears is the most difficult thing to install and screw up. Leave that to the experts if possible. Also remember that the 4.57 gears will not be available for a couple of months. If this is something you need to factor in.

Quick Reply: how much for labor would these mods cost?