S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How much force can the rear bumper mounts take?

Old 09-01-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha..i find it hilarious that you feel you need to defend yourself in this matter...i also find it funny that you find it necessary to tell us your grade in your class..and to show us that you obviously watch apollo 13 way to much in order for you to repeat everything they said verbatim...
now i told you i wasnt going to flame you...and i dont appriciate you flaming my comment...do what you please with your car...i could care less...but if you think about it..why try?? if it works with your wifes TL..then why try at all.you have a perfectly good car right there....
unfortunately for someone who is an engeneer i feel that you lack in maturity...you feel the need to defend yourself against people who are stateing their opinion...for someone who was at the top of thier class at TAMU...you would expect more tolerance for critisism...
so like i said before...you posted this not us...dont get offended when we say what we feel needs to be sayd...breathe for a second...then maybe you'l see how dumb you look towing a boat from an s2k...why dont you just have your wife drive your car there..then drive the TL..i still dont understand why you would take the risk.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:03 PM

then maybe when you see what youve done on film...you can tell me whos the dufus...

btw...you must be in your late twentys early thirtys...am i right?? if so...why the hell are you calling people dufus's?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:51 PM

I want to hear what xviper has to say about this, would definately be interesting.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess this thread got moved here after most of the posts were made. When I first looked at it in "S2000 Talk", it only had a few replies.

OK, keep the flames out of here. Gernby is a well known and well respected poster here and his question is "technical". It was not asking for whether or not you think it's a smart thing to do or can it be done (pulling a boat).

Remember: It's about the bumper mounts and how much they can take. Don't get so obsessed with what he wants to do with this information. If you don't have an answer for this question, don't bother.

If there are more flames, I'm a fireman - I'll do what's right.

ps. About driving through the woods in an S2000? Did you ever see that Dodge Viper all jacked up with All Terrain Tires on it? It's not the car. It's how it's prepared. Hell, a lot of people don't think an S2000 can be driven in snow. And even a few don't think it can be driven in rain. Have you ever seen Porsche 911's racing in the Arctic?

pps. I'm not touching this topic with a 10' pole.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I apologize for the name calling. Yes, I'm in my 30's.

This thread has been very frustrating for me, since all I want is technical opinions (calculations, experience, etc.) about the load capacity of the rear bumper beam (actual, not intended). I wasn't trying to brag about my abilities in physics, just give some credibility to my reasoning.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:16 AM
PSC

Gernby,

This may be of use to you

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175736

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66265

http://www.bageco.com/hitchlistssp/h...stsp_honda.htm

Sorry don't know how much force the bumper mounts can take, but as the ball load is not very high, if you look at the pic's in Triple-H's post most of the pulling stress (on a straight pull) should be handled by the bracket going to the suspension/diff carrier.

-- Paul
Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by gernby,Sep 1 2004, 10:15 PM
You guys are so silly about this "you asked the question" crap. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion about whether I should try it, or whether the car was designed for it, or even whether I should buy a truck! You are putting unnecessary wear and tear on you keyboards!
LOL! Best thread ever!

I don't have anything intelligent to add. But I really got a kick out of the various responses to your dilemma.

Andrew
Old 09-02-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Sep 1 2004, 07:51 PM
DUDE they had steel frames not aluminum.
Dude, we have steel frames. The NSX is almum, not the S2000. Get your fact right.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:45 AM

Well, no flame here. I hope it all comes up ok in the end. I just hate hearing about a car doing something it wasnt even close made to doing. I'd think your TL would be much better suited. Good luck!!

PS: I know first off these guys didnt hook up in the right place but dont let this happen! http://patrick.fm/video/www.kicken.com-snowtowcar.wmv
Old 09-02-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Sep 2 2004, 11:01 AM
Dude, we have steel frames. The NSX is almum, not the S2000. Get your fact right.
Of course we have a steel frame. Sorry my bad. We're not talking about towing a tire trailer here we're talking about towing a 2500lb+ load

Quick Reply: How much force can the rear bumper mounts take?