S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How much force can the rear bumper mounts take?

Old 09-01-2004, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say that is a bad idea, you will probably strain the motor and cause damage to it or the tranny or the car itself... i think it would be better to use a truck/SUV
Old 09-01-2004, 05:27 PM

okay im not goin to flame you on this or anything like that...but i dont understand why you would even take the chance...
lets just say something does go wrong..now you have to deal with that as well...whatever that may be...
s2000 are sports cars...not sport utility cars...and will you please stop comparing your car to your wifes TL...please...they are two different cars with different capabilities..you have to understand that...
if you really dont want to drive your wifes car to the lake or wherever your going..then bring your car..but not the boat...why take the risk...?

and throughout this post youve been fighting to prove your point..so its obvious that your very headstrong on this matter....if thats the case..then who cares what i say or anyone else says..just take your car and see what happens...but we'd hate to say we told you so
Old 09-01-2004, 05:30 PM

btw...just remember you askd us this question...not the other way around..dont get to heated about it...we'r just sayin what we think will happen..so stop reading these replies and do it already..just make sure you get it on video.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:34 PM

Can I take my S off roading? I would love to know how it handles in the woods.

thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Sep 1 2004, 05:02 PM
Some of the comments about torque and traction on this thread overlook the fact that today's 4 wheel drive high powered road pig SUV/Trucks are a fairly recent development in the history of the motoring world. For decades folks pulled trailers and launched boats with 2500 pound cars and light trucks with 1 wheel drive (yeah, not even limited slip) and anemic six cylinder engines with less power and torque than the S. If you don't believe me, look it up. The tires were crappy bias plys with so little traction that cornering above 30mph around town was a test of will. They did it and I bet Gernby can too.

Todays motorist is a pampered weenie with no understanding of how little power it takes to accomplish basic tasks. All the modern vehicles available to day have far more power than is needed for the purpose they perform.
DUDE they had steel frames not aluminum.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:52 PM

You dont care about your s2k. I break mine all of the time because I race it, but thats what its made for, " sports car" not tow truck. I thinks its dumb to tow a tire trailer to a race and there 500lbs. 2800lbs just think of what a ass you will look like. Do all of us a favor, take you, your boat, and your s2k and drive into the lake so you wont make all of us look like a dick to. Or get a 2nd job and get a TRUCK!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Sep 1 2004, 08:51 PM
DUDE they had steel frames not aluminum.

What do you think the S2000's frame is made of? Do I need to give you a hint, cause it isn't aluminum?

Old 09-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Did I mention how I wish I didn't post this in S2000 Talk yet?

You guys are so silly about this "you asked the question" crap. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion about whether I should try it, or whether the car was designed for it, or even whether I should buy a truck! You are putting unnecessary wear and tear on you keyboards!

Back to the topic...

After seeing a recent thread about an S2000 that was being pulled onto a flatbed truck using one of the tow hooks at an extreme incline, then falling back to the ground when the tow hook broke ... I think it can do it! The incline on the truck was WAY more than the boat ramp, and the boat with trailer is about the same weight as the S2000. The tow hooks are also placed off-center from the bumper mounts, so the load is not equally distributed. I don't need to pull 2700 lbs up a 40 degree incline using the tow hook. I need to pull ~3000 lbs up a 20 degree incline using a hitch that is much more securely mounted and evenly distributed than the tow hook.

Since I rarely ever post in non-technical threads (like 99% of the threads in S2000 Talk), you guys don't know me. I spend almost all of my S2KI time in Under The Hood. I am an engineer whose best subject was engineering physics (highest grade in class at TAMU). I think this will work, and really don't care what the car was "designed for". I'm reminded of the movie Apollo 13 when the flight chief asked the Lunar Module manufacturer's rep if it could do what they needed. The rep. started saying some shit about "It was designed for ..." and the flight chief said "I don't care what it was designed for... can it do it!" The rep said "Yes."

Some dufus also whined about me comparing the TL to the S2000. Why not compare them. They are both equally inadequate for towing 3000 lbs loads, and I received equal criticism for considering using the TL for towing it! My friends thought I was being stupid for spending $100 dollars for the hitch on the TL, and wanted to video the attempt. The TL is a perfect tow vehicle for what I need to do, but it is not the car I drive.

Don't worry, if I make an attempt, I will certainly video it, and post it whether it works or not. I am not afraid of admitting I'm wrong. I am just unwilling to give in to BS from people that don't have a clue.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW, please read the title and first post of this thread before posting to this thread. My question is technical, not philosophical.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blkturbos2k,Sep 1 2004, 08:52 PM
You dont care about your s2k. I break mine all of the time because I race it, but thats what its made for, " sports car" not tow truck. I thinks its dumb to tow a tire trailer to a race and there 500lbs. 2800lbs just think of what a ass you will look like. Do all of us a favor, take you, your boat, and your s2k and drive into the lake so you wont make all of us look like a dick to. Or get a 2nd job and get a TRUCK!!!
Hmmm ... how are you racing it that breaks it all the time? What are you doing wrong? I've been racing mine for quite some time (autocrossing and D.E.s), and I've never broken it. The only repair I've made on my car in 46K miles of ownership is to replace my rear wheel bearings (common failure). I haven't even replaced my clutch yet.

Do you care about your S2000 even less than me? If it was made for racing, then why does yours break all the time? If you are drag racing, then that is NOT what it's made for. If you installed a turbo (as your name implies), then that certainly is NOT what it is made for.

Quick Reply: How much force can the rear bumper mounts take?