S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How much boost can you run on a stock engine?

Old 09-27-2004, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much boost can you run on a stock engine?

I am running 9 lbs currently and I was just wanting to know if there was anyone running more boost with the Comptech SC. Another question I have is that I have gone through 2 belts in the last 3 weeks, I was wondering what could cause this? I know it can't be too much hp . Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you like your s/c? i am deciding whether i should get a s/c, turbo, or N/A with ITB's. how do you like it? whp? 1/4 mile? run any cars?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by frans2k,Sep 27 2004, 01:02 PM
I am running 9 lbs currently and I was just wanting to know if there was anyone running more boost with the Comptech SC. Another question I have is that I have gone through 2 belts in the last 3 weeks, I was wondering what could cause this? I know it can't be too much hp . Any help would be great, thanks.
I'm betting that you have your belt tightened way too tight in the belief that really tight will ensure max boost. Do you check the belt in the manner as prescribed in the kit installation manual? I've had my belt tightened once since it's install. This was the first tightening as dictated by the Vortech manual. It has been over a year and a half since and the belt is still at the right tightness (confirmed by the boost gauge) and it is still is good condition. Another possibility is that one of your pulleys is not running straight and true.

There have been indications of 11 psi putting out around 350 WHP. Boost in only part of the equation. It is the state of tune. You can have less boost but a higher state of tune to get more HP. This may not necessarily be better or safer than higher boost in a lesser state of tune to get about the same HP. You need to look at the whole equation and not just one variable.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any experience with S/C'ing an S but when you put on the smaller pulley to increase boost, it is much more likely that the belt will slip. Maybe that is your problem.
-Brian
Old 09-27-2004, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by hukares,Sep 27 2004, 07:19 PM
I don't have any experience with S/C'ing an S but when you put on the smaller pulley to increase boost, it is much more likely that the belt will slip. Maybe that is your problem.
-Brian
Not if the pulley was designed for that blower and not if the pulley was installed correctly. If it was installed out of the same "plane" as the rest of the pulleys, then it would run and rub funny. With a smaller (and higher boost blower pulley) pulley, a shorter belt should have also been used.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

How much boost can you run on a stock engine?
I'm a little lost here
Shouldn't the topic be, How much boost can you run on a S/C engine?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by dreamcation,Sep 27 2004, 08:53 PM
I'm a little lost here
Shouldn't the topic be, How much boost can you run on a S/C engine?
I think we can figure out what he really meant.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The topic is correct. The word 'stock' is used as opposed to 'built'. The engine stock is designed for high compression NA and is not suitable for a lot of boost.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 27 2004, 05:55 PM
Not if the pulley was designed for that blower and not if the pulley was installed correctly. If it was installed out of the same "plane" as the rest of the pulleys, then it would run and rub funny. With a smaller (and higher boost blower pulley) pulley, a shorter belt should have also been used.
Maybe so with the S. I just wouldn't put so much trust in aftermarket high-boost pulleys that are supposedly "designed" for the supercharger. Vortech and many others sell pulleys so small that they cannot even be used without slipping, someone is going to buy them, 'of course they'll work with your seup'.

-Brian
Old 09-27-2004, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Sep 27 2004, 08:14 PM
The topic is correct. The word 'stock' is used as opposed to 'built'. The engine stock is designed for high compression NA and is not suitable for a lot of boost.
Your right, but it also can viewed another way. I first looked at this thread as a How much boost can you run on a stock engine (with no mods). Alright sorry for going off topic

Quick Reply: How much boost can you run on a stock engine?