S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How many repairs will Honda do?

Old 01-01-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How many repairs will Honda do?

Maybe some could help me. I have a late model 2002. I've been complaining to my dealership of a shimmy/shaking from the rear of my car since 4000 miles. I have 34000 now. I've had both control arms and axles replaced on different occassions and a new differential installed. I basically have an entire new rear end. I should also mention that my engine was just replaced at 33500 miles due to cylinder #4 failure. Now it take two hands to shift into 1st gear or reverse, and the shaking has become violent. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Matt
Old 01-01-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see uhh....they replaced the control arms, axles, diff and engine. Maybe they need to replace the chassis

Dude, you have some bad luck. You need to take it back to Honda.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda should repair your car as many times as it takes as long as you still have warrenty left. Keep in mind, check your local lemon laws. Around me, if they can't repair the same problem after 3 visits, you get compensated.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:40 PM

The 3 attempts on one repair law only applies on the first year of ownership. They still have to repair the vehicle though.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:28 AM

Thanks. They will continue to repair it, but there isn't much left to fix. How realistic is it for Honda to allow me out of my lease if there is still a year left?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are having trouble shifting gears, that shouldn't have anything to do with the rear end. I would suspect poor installation of the new parts.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Matt, I saw your post in the short-block thread too.. Whoa, you've had some serious bad luck with your car.

I'm curious about your driving habits. Do you beat the crap out of the car, or did all this stuff just happen with normal usage?

Regarding the lease, that's an interesting idea. You could /should certainly discuss that with the manager of your dealership. But, first does that work out advantageously for you? You have to look at how much you've paid over the past two years. You'll probably do better (I guess) if you actually buy the car and then sell it (prematurely, that is) than if you just give it back to the dealer. Unfortunately, I suspect you're feeling that you really just want to dump it right now.

Keep us posted. I'm sorry about all your trouble. Just by way of comparison, FYI, I drive my '02 9 months out of the year, and I have 32K on mine since new; I haven't had to replace anything, and the engine / tranny still feel like new. Again, sorry for the pain.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:14 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Work it out with Honda North America. Make sure you have the car "stock" before someone looks at it.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Chazmo, the funny thing is that I don't beat my car. I had a header and exhaust for a while, but that would have nothing to do with my problems. 90% of my mileage is highway.

Here's the problem, they can't fix my car. It's just one thing after another. The thing shakes from the rear at 75mph or above. It shimmys after hitting a bump. They just can't figure it out.

The other problem is they just started to give me a rental. I didn't buy an echo or focus, I bought an S2000 and Honda doesn't understand this.

I can't get out of the lease because the car is worth about $19000 mint. Anyone that would drive the car would surely laugh at me. By the way, the lease buyout is $27000. Hmmm....

The dealership was so kind in offering me invoice on a new one, and they would happily let me roll $10000 of negative equity into a new one. I laughed at them for several minutes.

The car shakes so bad that my rear view mirror doesn't work anymore. Did I also forget to mention that I can't shift into first of reverse with struggling. The list goes on and on. I'm tired of talking to Honda everyday.

Here's the current problem list:

Shake from rear of car under high speed.

Big giant crease in my front fender from when they put the motor in. I have to make a special trip to the dealership so the Dent Wizard can hopefully take it out.

Rear View mirror doesn't work.

Creak in rear every time chassis flexes(i.e. pulling into my driveway or changing lanes). This started after they change the differential.

Can't change gears. I'm affraid I'm going to get stuck somewhere because it can take several minutes before I can get the car into gear when it's cold.

Warped rotors and squeaking brake since 20,000 mile(least of my concerns but still very annoying).

Car sits lopsided. Right rear has always been higher that left.

That's all I can think of for now. These are just the current problems. Forget about what's already been done.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:21 AM

sounds like a wheel out of balance

Quick Reply: How many repairs will Honda do?