S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to let your s2000 breath

Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to let your s2000 breath

Most of you are aware that the s2000 is VERY prone to heat soak, and power problems with hot air. Now with this in mind, why would they design a intake box so badly prone to low air flow, heat problems on a car that responds very well to air temps. Here is a mod that will not only give you a little more power, but the response from your 2.0 liter will be much better. You will NOT have to wory about hydrolock unless you submerge the cars hood completely.

How to make your own cold air intake.

You will need.....
1.Dremmel (any bit will due, preferably one of the bigger thick ones)
2. Hand saw
3. Gorilla glue
4. Carbon fiber radiater plate (the one that connects to the air box mouth, not the plate with open holes.
5. Carbon fiber snorkal
6. K and N drop in filter replaces OEM paper filter.
7. A vaccum
8. 2 hours

Step One: Remove air box, and stock OEM paper filter from intake hose. Take a CLEAN rag and stuff it into the intake hose to prevent any debris from making its way into your car.
Step Two: Take gorilla glue, and dab some on each of the two holes on the bottom of the air box. These holes are for sound resonance, and with them covered you willl hear the throaty noise slightly more, gaining a aggressive sound. You may dabble 2-3 layers letting each one dry before adding another. This is the easiest way and it is air tight, nothing in, nothing out.
Step Three: Take hand saw, and cut a large piece of the wall in the middle of the air box out leaving a very small wall of plastic. You will also need to (i ripped mine with my hand off) the funnel looking stuff on the lid of the airbox off completely to let air in. Dont worry, its only plastic brackets holding this thing on, and you cant break your lid.
Step Four: Take the dremmel and sand down the remaining wall of plastic that was in the middle of the air box so it is ALMOST smooth. Be sure not to damage the core main part of your box, as it is the part you want to keep.
Step Five: Take vaccum and suck up all plastic debris from box, any dirt, sand that was in there before. THE PLASTIC FROM THE WALL WILL FLY ALL OVER YOUR ENGINE BAY. Do not forget to suck all plastic scraps off unless you want them burned on to your cars engine lol.
Step Six: Once engine bay, air box is clean....take out the rag and put the K and N drop in filter replacement. Put the air box lid on, and your air box is now what we call "gutted"
Step Seven: Remove the radiater plastic, and install the carbon fiber radiator plate and if you have it (snorkal). I have the plate and no snorkal just yet, and i got REALLY good increase in throttle response and a little power.

Your air box is now gutted, and all air goes to your intake from the outside where the wind hits the car the hardest, its nose. The plastic that once restricted your air flow is now completely gone, and your filter is still protected from water and dirt. You will notice increased throttle response, and a small bit of power. Your idle will also be less rough in hot weather at a stop. You do however need to perform this maintinence.

MAINTINENCE
Your box now lets in alot more air ,but subsequently a little more bits of rock/sand will collect in the box. Be sure to vaccum it out once a month and try not to submerge the nose in water.

Ill post pics of my setup later if i get a chance, i know this is a DIY but it goes in under the hood section because im helping people fix the heat problems and rough idle with ap1's.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Banned

By the way i got all this for

KandN 50.00
Knock off Carbon fiber plate:100
Knock off carbon fiber snorkal:130(optional)
get this stuff on ebay......
Old 11-09-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gutted my airbox, and showed zero gain on the dyno.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

Did you put a k and N with a snorkal, plate setup? If you didnt then that is why.........You have to do exactly what i said above to get gain.

P.S i dont think your dyno simulates 90 mph winds going into a snorkal.....why post just to but heads?

Old 11-09-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Nov 9 2006, 02:35 PM
Did you put a k and N with a snorkal, plate setup? If you didnt then that is why.........You have to do exactly what i said above to get gain.

P.S i dont think your dyno simulates 90 mph winds going into a snorkal.....why post just to but heads?
yes. yes. i posted to save guys the trouble. the factory intake is very well designed, and is VERY hard to impove. you can bolt a CAI on and gain peak, but you'll lose low/mid range. you can go with ARC and loss power across the entire powerband but pick up great throttle response. you can buy a 1200 mugen/j's intake and make +2 mid and +6 peak, but you just spend 1200 to get no real improvement. i am not posting to piss you off i am post as a guy thats had 6 intakes on his s2 and after all 6 i run the OEM airbox and make more NA hp than almost anyone on the west coast.

if you really want to help your car breath, open up the exhaust and look into a tuning device. thats where the big gains are seen.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Nov 9 2006, 12:35 PM

1) Its been done before, sorry but the car has been around since late 1999 and your not the first to think of this.

2) This will not really gain much but it might make you feel better, or "feel an improvement in the throttle response". That's in quotes because it's what people always say when they get a new intake.

3) The S2000 doesn't have heat issues at highway speeds where you will net any gain from this mod, so who cares if the dyno simulates that. The S2000 doesn't like sitting in traffic and getting hot, just like most other cars. If your really worried about heat issues with high engine temps in traffic and that kind of thing, or you live in a hot enviroment like I do in Hawaii, then try a hondata gasket, a thermostat, a fan switch, and radiator cap. Mugen makes a good set (thermo, switch, and cap) and spoon makes one too, but the spoon kit seems to run too cold for most people's taste.

Also, lighten up. VersionJDM didn't post to but heads, and neither am I, he simply posted his experiece with this type of thing. Not everybody is going to agree with you, and like I said it's been done before.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hahnn002,Nov 9 2006, 03:07 PM
1) Its been done before, sorry but the car has been around since late 1999 and your not the first to think of this.

2) This will not really gain much but it might make you feel better, or "feel an improvement in the throttle response". That's in quotes because it's what people always say when they get a new intake.

3) The S2000 doesn't have heat issues at highway speeds where you will net any gain from this mod, so who cares if the dyno simulates that. The S2000 doesn't like sitting in traffic and getting hot, just like most other cars. If your really worried about heat issues with high engine temps in traffic and that kind of thing, or you live in a hot enviroment like I do in Hawaii, then try a hondata gasket, a thermostat, a fan switch, and radiator cap. Mugen makes a good set (thermo, switch, and cap) and spoon makes one too, but the spoon kit seems to run too cold for most people's taste.

Also, lighten up. VersionJDM didn't post to but heads, and neither am I, he simply posted his experiece with this type of thing. Not everybody is going to agree with you, and like I said it's been done before.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

"1) Its been done before, sorry but the car has been around since late 1999 and your not the first to think of this."

Thanks for being positive! A dyno doesnt show throttle response, and it depends on many variables to show hp gain. -2+2 is normal error for a dyno. I took my time to post something that i experianced myself first hand. I dont apprecaite your negative feedback with invalid points. The s2000 does suffer from heat problems at 80 mphs...it gets the air from under the hood and not from directly outside. Ill be sure to think twicebefore attempting to post something constructive to our community.

to you
Old 11-09-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would just save that money and put it towards bigger exhaust (70mm).
Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Nov 9 2006, 03:29 PM
"1) Its been done before, sorry but the car has been around since late 1999 and your not the first to think of this."

Thanks for being positive! A dyno doesnt show throttle response, and it depends on many variables to show hp gain. -2+2 is normal error for a dyno. I took my time to post something that i experianced myself first hand. I dont apprecaite your negative feedback with invalid points. The s2000 does suffer from heat problems at 80 mphs...it gets the air from under the hood and not from directly outside. Ill be sure to think twicebefore attempting to post something constructive to our community.

to you
i think your taking this a bit to personal brother. its just that some of us have spent alot of time and hard earned money tuning this car and we want to let our expierences help out others that are just starting to crack into this car. i have dyno probably about 20-30 times with this car and know it pretty well. at speed the s2k actually disapates heat better than alot of other sports cars. under body air flow on this car was taken into consideration. for example: have you notices the little "mud flaps" before each wheel? the direct are to the brakes but also create a air flow that sucks air from the engine bay. i have had devices(blitz power meter) that show intake mani temps and even at 40-50mph temps will drop up to 20 degrees, imagine at 80+ what happens.

Quick Reply: How to let your s2000 breath