S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HOW-To install a Spoon Air duct w/ pics

Old 04-29-2004, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WARNING!!! BE SURE TO CHECK THE AIR BOX ONCE IN A WHILE FOR DIRT...WITH THE AIR DUCT IN PLACE..IT GETS DIRTY QUCIK!!!! THESE PICS WERE TAKEN AFTER A TEST DRIVE UPON INSTALL

well i finally got the chance to install my spoon air duct....install went damn well...for my first time using a dremel and it only took about 45 min from start to finish..lol...not bad...i had to rush a lil cause it was getting dark and i dont have a garage..

before i started i went out to home depot to buy a dremel cost about $60 but it came with a lot of pieces that i could use to cut...when i first got home and tried it out...i felt like "Tim the tool man" from that old show on TV..lol...it had some power..hahah
i figured that y not buy it cause a dremel can always come in handy...

Variable speed range from 5,000-35,000 rpm. Ideal for precision cutting, drilling, sanding, engraving and buffing. Includes case, 25 accessories and cutting guide attachment.
Price: $59.97/ea

so to get things started i removed the stock air box...there are 3 10mm nuts the 3rd nut near the radiator hose is a PITA...u must use a long extension to get to it...and make sure the car is cold...that damn hose was hot as hell and i touched it a couple of times..lol

while the stock airbox was out i decided to do the "air box mod" and cut out the wall in front of the air filter and cut off the L-shaped piece on the underside of the air box lid

yes i know the cuts arent pretty..but i really dont care...as will not be looking at it too much...but if i wanted i could always go back with my handy dremel and sand it down

after I finished cutting the wall i then proceeded to measure the spoon air duct against the air guide in front of the radiator....i was thinking about taking it off...but i heard it wasnt a good idea....but i think i will take it off once i get a CF radiator cooling plate...i think it would be safer then...n e way...as i took my measurements...i said "F" IT and i basically cut off the entire side wher the air duct goes...like i said b4 i was in a rush cause it was getting dark

after i cut off half of the air guide i then angled in the spoon air duct to see if it would fit...it took all of a min to try to figure out how to angle this baby in..lol...i had to lean the front all the way towards me then it would slide down...wish i had a pic....

the hard part is all done...with the air duct in place put the stock air box back in( clean it before u put it back in) all the debri from the cutting will be all over the place..and then bolt it back down......dotn forget to put the wires in back of the stock air box back in place

and u r now done...

Old 04-29-2004, 06:16 AM

wow....Rick....u r not only a parts whore..also now a DIY whore....^_^ good job....

jay
Old 04-29-2004, 10:43 AM

I just got a 04, w/ extended warenty. Would doing something like this kill my warenty?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:57 AM

No, the warranty will still apply.

Hey Project SSAP1, you did a great job on your install! Remember to give us your impressions on the driving test.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:16 PM

Cool, so what does this spoon do for you in preformance?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hyper-X
No, the warranty will still apply.

Hey
Old 04-29-2004, 03:00 PM

Great write up! Thanks for the pix.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:41 PM

great pics....

just a few points regarding your install write up:

1) you don't HAVE to remove the entire airbox.....all you have to do it remove the lid by undoing the retaining clips.

2) what are those pads on your duct? Are they supposed to protect the duct from the hood closing? If so, may I suggest that you put the pads on the underside of the hood, instead of on the duct. That way, when you pop your hood, there isn't anything stuck to your beautiful SPOON piece.

3) the stock airbox has that funky intake horn that has to be removed before the install. A pair of metal snips or a heavy duty scissor will do the trick.

cheers
Old 04-29-2004, 03:47 PM

why didn't you just remove the air guide?

eitherway, good stuff!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:50 PM

thanks for write up.

Quick Reply: HOW-To install a Spoon Air duct w/ pics