S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to install a hardtop with pics...

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Deuce K
Did my08 not come with defrost wires, cause I'm installing now and for the life of me can't see it? Need help ASAP please and thanks.
The wires are located behind the panel that is behind the driver seat. Unplug the wires that connect to the softop window and connect to the adopter wires that came with your oem hardtop.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this installation guide! The installation of the hardtop and the brackets is surprisingly easy! It only took about an hour and a half for me to pull the panels and install the top. Then about an hour to install the panels again and adjust the top (if necessary.) I can't see anyone needing to go to the dealer for this install. Save your money, do it yourself, it's easy! You really can't mess anything up.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as bending the metal bracket for installing the side catchers, is that absolutely necessary. I just completed the install on a Mugen-style top (using OEM hardware) and I managed to bolt them in as is on both sides. Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

When installing the catchers, (oem softtop still in) I can get all 4 bolts in on the drivers side but only can get 2 on the passenger side. The holes dont align anymore(i bent the metal while they were still in)
Any trick?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
When installing the catchers, (oem softtop still in) I can get all 4 bolts in on the drivers side but only can get 2 on the passenger side. The holes dont align anymore(i bent the metal while they were still in)
Any trick?
Your problem may be using the shorter bolts that came with the car. I used these short bolts installing my HT several years ago. The passenger side wasn't a problem but the drivers side I could only get three inplace. Two bolts may/ should work well enough and worth a try. Easy enough to go back with longer bolts if you should notice any problems.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM

I was using the brand new bolts that came with the Mugen top.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

I was using the brand new bolts that came with the Mugen top.
It may be something you'll have to fiddle with a little. If the two bolts you installed are tight, loosen both and try to start the other two.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM

The red circled ones are the bolts I could not get in.
The thread are soooo far off center behind those holes its almost impossible to even start to thread it in.
Doesnt make sense if the other two are in I dont think.
Is there a way to raise that black piece at all by prying somewhere? When I took out the last bolt before trying to install the catcher I felt that whole piece shift as I took it out
Name:  catchers_zpsd4831c6c.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  42.4 KB
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM

The red circled ones are the bolts I could not get in.
The thread are soooo far off center behind those holes its almost impossible to even start to thread it in.
Doesnt make sense if the other two are in I dont think.
Is there a way to raise that black piece at all by prying somewhere? When I took out the last bolt before trying to install the catcher I felt that whole piece shift as I took it out
I'm not a mech and its been 6 years since I did my install. Perhaps you might try using a rubber mallet to pound it in position. Worst case, a shop should be able to solve your problem for minimal money. GL

Quick Reply: How to install a hardtop with pics...