S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to install a hardtop with pics...

Old 12-24-2010, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhean,Dec 24 2010, 12:13 AM
Hard not to over think as the rattling has been getting so bad that it's more quiet to drive the car with the soft top up, or even with the top down!
Hmm. Did you get the new strikers with your top and install them? My top came with a set of new strikers to be installed. If so and it didn't help with the tightness, maybe a small piece of rubber tube over each of the latch hooks can tighten it up. Some people have reported success with this method.

Otherwise, if it is still too loose, there is a method to move the latch assemblies on the top back slightly. You will have to remove the headliner and loosen the bolts on it though. Then slide the latches back before re-tightening. I have never heard of this being necessary before so I would try everything else first.

Please let us know what solves your problem in the end though!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 AM

Problem fixed. The annoying noises were squeaks and not exactly rattling. I did not quite mention this in the past. Turns out the screws on the latches were loose, allowing the latches to squeak under force. From the information that I have gathered, these screws should have loctite on them. I bought my top used so a previous owner must have removed the screws for because I could see screwdriver marks on them. So I tightened them down and now the squeak is pretty much gone.

It is also possible to move the top forward by adjusting the upper base that the hardtop pins are bolted to. These bases have three screws, and they all have some play in them.

cbrdream21: I have less than a thumb's gap. Maybe half a thumb. This is after shifting the hardtop forward by ~2mm.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 AM

Thanks for reporting back! Glad to hear it's all working right now
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 AM

I'm planning on purchasing a used HT, and had a couple questions about the install.

1. Are the extended replacement bolts for the side catchers absolutely necessary or can the original shorter bolts be used.
If the extended ones are needed, where would I be able to find them?

2. Are the hard top brushes needed for a safe install or can the soft brushes be removed all together without installing new hard top brushes. If so, are there any adverse effects to running w/o any brushes?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 AM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can answer this:
1. No, I reused the original bolts not the extended ones, if you wanted to then any hardware/ bolt shop should be able to supply.
2. Safety is not affected when you don't replace the brushes for the cut out HT ones, I personally got them, as they're not costly at all. (Hardtopguy). They are more to stop leaves and the like from getting in.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Great write up. Nice pic work
Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 AM

The photos in the original post are no longer online. Perhaps it is a temporary forum error. If they don't pop back up, does anyone have this thread offline that they could send me? The wind noise is intense on my S2000 and I am in the process of acquiring a hardtop!

- Dale
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the write up HARDtoTOP! Made my install a breeze!

question though, my top latches are not tight. Doesn't take much force to close them. What do I do? Shim? Replace strikers?
I have a MY05 if it matters.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone could help.

I am actually removing a fitting kit from my car; so I need to know the bolt size and length for where the Side Catchers will no longer be.

Within this how-to guide, the bolts are circled to highlight the size difference - its the shorter ones I need.

Many thanks,
Rhauri

Quick Reply: How to install a hardtop with pics...