S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How hard to install lower front ball joint boot

Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to install lower front ball joint boot

Do I need any spacial tools or do I just pull pin and unbolt???? Please help I need to change this cuz I accidentally sliced the boot open!! Don't ask how it happened I feel stupid about it in the first place. Thanks guys
Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen some instructions in this forum...might try the crappy search engine. As I recall, you do need a socket or pipe or tube large enough to push the new boot in place.

Is this the ball joint on the lower front a-arm? Might consider replacing the a-arm since your car is an '01...it probably needs the bushings replaced by now and the only way to get oem bushings is to replace the entire a-arm.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have probably seen my webpage, which is in the FAQ in the "technical" subforum.

http://www.eskimo.com/~mikeg/S2000/tie_rod_boot/

I'm not sure if this is the boot to which you are referring, though.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks guys but I need to remove the lower ball joint boot...someone has to know how???
Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup...that's the one Mike.

Trustbran...a ball joint boot is a ball joint boot. Does not matter if it is for the tie rod or the lower a-arm. The install method for the boot would be the same.

To get to the ball joint so you can install the new boot, it probably will be easiest to remove the lower arm. Pop the ball joint from the hub, free the swaybar, remove the bolt at the front and rear of the arm. Should about do it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks again guys. sorry I wasn't sure if there was a difference.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I couldn't find any in depth guidance regarding repacking and replacing the ball joint boot covers. Here is what I did when I redid the boot covers on the front end of mine. No special Honda tools needed. Your results may vary if you do this with the ball joints still attached to the car. I will do the rear end on mine soon. Follow up to come.

UPPER BALL JOINT:

Prior to adding grease and installing the boot, set clip into the groove for the boot. I was able to do this by hand.

There's another ledge above the groove for the boot. Set the clip around this ledge. I used a small flathead precision screwdriver, a regular sized flathead screwdriver, and a hook and pick set to do this. The pick helps get under the clip. Use the regular screwdriver to push the clip flat.

Grease applied. Install the boot and set it into the groove. Now gently move the clip into the groove of the boot. I used a pick and the precision screwdriver. Be careful with the part since it's easy to accidentally puncture the boot. You won't get the clip set all at once. Work it around until it sets 360 degrees.

LOWER BALL JOINT:

Apply grease.

Before installing the boot onto the ball joint, mount the clip into the groove on the rubber boot and then position it on the middle of the boot. It looks like this. The boot can then just be pushed onto the ball joint by hand.

Get a small screwdriver under the clip and work the clip into the rubber groove 360 degrees.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:16 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Pop off the ball joint. You'll need a ball joint separator. Don't get the really cheap one, it's not big enough. Alternately you can simply break the taper with a press if have one. I used two needle nose pliers to open the ring spring thing. Remember to pack with grease. I use mobile synthetic grease.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried opening up the clip with two pliers while pushing it over the boot. I didn't like how deformed the clip got using this method (I probably pulled on it differently than you). In my experience, using this method requires the clip to be opened way past the point where it may not sit as tight on its final position. Just another way to skin a cat.
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (06-06-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy808
Looks like something a serial killer used in a horror movie.