S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how hard is it to convert the s to higher voltage?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i am no guru but i have never heard of anyone upping the volatge of a car for "performance" reasons. This just seems silly and pointless to me. If you are worried about your ignition being subpar they make ignition booster kits. But again thats for very high power boosted cars that are getting spark blowout.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Breaking Point
Cars r 12v generally and will see 14v upon initial startup and run between 11-12.5v generally while under load of all the accessories due to the extra amp draw. So when wanting to run more accessories. Or if you just want your ignition system to be more efficient. Or whole electrical system more efficient you up the voltage.on a 16v system things generally stays around 14v. Fuel pump will see higher pressure and make the car more efficient. The starter will spin faster and fans will spin faster and the water pump will be more efficient. I'm not worried about the harness where I'm worried most about the ecu. I don't wanna peak it completely. But I think being closer to it's limit will be OK.
While a few things of what you said may be true, it doesn't make anything more "efficient" . Anybody who is suggesting this to you doesn't know what they are talking about and I would immediatly stop taking any advice from them.

The ONLY thing you want to mess with to increase voltage would be your audio system. But you do it in different ways. You don't really increase the voltage per se, but either get an alternator that can put out more current, or capacitors that can give you a short burst, but you only do this if you've got a problem in the first place.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtB
All cars are 14-16v.

14.4-14.6 under any load. The ELD takes care of it. There is also no reason to up the voltage. All you'll do is work all of the regulators harder.
The voltage of the system is "called" or "designated" a 12V system.

You will of course see various differences in voltage in different components under different conditions. But you alway "call" it a 12V system.

And I sure hope you aren't seeing 16V anywhere!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM

i believe that just upping volts wont cause things to work faster or better per say. You would probably need to control the amps, and also you will probably be replacing OEM parts quicker then you want to for pusing them past there threshold. All this for little to no gains from what I can see.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM

your gonna burn stuff up :/
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

14.4-14.6 under any load. The ELD takes care of it. There is also no reason to up the voltage. All you'll do is work all of the regulators harder.

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by Breaking Point' timestamp='1348336912' post='22030804
Cars r 12v generally and will see 14v upon initial startup and run between 11-12.5v generally while under load of all the accessories due to the extra amp draw. So when wanting to run more accessories. Or if you just want your ignition system to be more efficient. Or whole electrical system more efficient you up the voltage.on a 16v system things generally stays around 14v. Fuel pump will see higher pressure and make the car more efficient. The starter will spin faster and fans will spin faster and the water pump will be more efficient. I'm not worried about the harness where I'm worried most about the ecu. I don't wanna peak it completely. But I think being closer to it's limit will be OK.
While a few things of what you said may be true, it doesn't make anything more "efficient" . Anybody who is suggesting this to you doesn't know what they are talking about and I would immediatly stop taking any advice from them.The ONLY thing you want to mess with to increase voltage would be your audio system. But you do it in different ways. You don't really increase the voltage per se, but either get an alternator that can put out more current, or capacitors that can give you a short burst, but you only do this if you've got a problem in the first place.
There is a lot which is technically wrong with the post you quoted. Efficiency is a well defined termed which the OP is clearly misusing. If anything the OP may be trying to convey that the accessories would be more powerful with a higher voltage power source.

"Fuel pump will see higher pressure and make the car more efficient."
Perhaps the OP means that the fuel pump will provide more pressure. Just because the fuel pump sees more pressure it doesn't mean that anything is more efficient. You can take a pair of vise grips and pinch the fuel line. That'll make the fuel pump see higher pressure too. Even with higher pressure at the fuel rail, you're mostly going to see a lower duty cycle at the fuel injectors, that's it. I haven't seen any studies suggesting that shorter duty cycles for fuel injectors increase fuel economy (the measure of a car's efficiency).

"The starter will spin faster and fans will spin faster and the water pump will be more efficient."
Spinning the starter faster will only wear it out more. It's already good enough to start the car, how much more power does it need? Do you want to be able to start the car while in gear... with the e-brake on?
As far as the water pump goes...