S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to fix clutch buzz

Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix clutch buzz

Hey guys I just wanted to shed some light on the horid clutch buzz we get a lot. I had my clutch replaced about a year ago with an ACT clutch and ACT throw out bearing. When it was installed, properly or botched the day I picked it up, it had the buzz. So my friend is going to school and is in the automotive field and at his school they have lab where they work on cars with instructors to learn what they need to do in real life situations. I had asked him if he could take my S up there and take apart the clutch and see if he could figure out what was the problem. Once he had taken it apart the ACT throw out bearing was either installed incorecty or warped or made with a flaw I ordered an oem honda throw out bearing and the sound is gone no more clutch buzz and since I had it done through my friend and for school it was $100 for the part and thats it! Hope this helps my fellow S2KI memebers, Tops always down

I know when I had gotten the clutch buzz I looked for days trying to find a way to fix it and I was unlucky searching on this forum for a fix. So if you can't stand the buzzing anymore you could have your mech replace the throwout bearing it would prob run you around 600 for the part and install $500-600 seems normal for a side job for this.

Thanks Craig

Sorry if there is other topics about this I know when I searched I was unable to find one.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of act clutch was it? 6 puck?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always use oem bearings. The aftermarket ones are a gamble.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I believe there was a TSB for this but cannot say for sure.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by james0933
Always use oem bearings. The aftermarket ones are a gamble.
x69 thats what ive always heard
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

A TO bearing will not cure what is known as clutch buzz here on s2ki.

You may have had a noise, but it wasnt "clutch buzz".

Clutch decel buzz is ALWAYS caused by a non-precise disc, allowing the disc to clamp down in a non-centered position. The TO bearing is not in the equation at this point.

ACT disc is famous for it. Stock disc will cure it.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Hey Billman, I think I have the same problem, but its a new car (to me) and there was no documentation on the clutch. Where should I start? I do however, have a nice warranty that covers my drive train (after a small deductible). Is it almost better to just take it to Honda and have them fix it?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
A TO bearing will not cure what is known as clutch buzz here on s2ki.

You may have had a noise, but it wasnt "clutch buzz".

Clutch decel buzz is ALWAYS caused by a non-precise disc, allowing the disc to clamp down in a non-centered position. The TO bearing is not in the equation at this point.

ACT disc is famous for it. Stock disc will cure it.
I had always heard that it was the dampening springs in the hub. I was planning on getting a solid hub organic disc made by ACT, CC, or similar. My thinking was this would fix the clutch buzz while shedding a little weight and providing a sportier feel. Am I way off base here? Could you provide a little more insight on what part of the disc is not precise that is making the noise?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:07 AM

The clutch buzz isnt damaging anything if gone untreated, is it?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The buzz is the disk a throwout bearing would have a grinding sound and feel transmitted to your foot when using the clutch.

Quick Reply: How to fix clutch buzz